Friday 24 June 2011

Ef 28-135 Is Lens - ef 28-135 is lens, lens hood


If you actually care about money and don't sleep on a bed of $100 bills, then you may be considering a cheaper alternative. A hood is a hood and it's goal is to block light.



Differences between this hood and Canon EW78BII Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon SLR Lens is felt and fit.



When first applying this hood, the fit was snug. Nothing to the point where I was concerned, but noticeably more snug than Canon's version. Canon's hoods also have somewhat of a "snap" when they are fully turned so they somewhat lock into place. This hood has no issues holding in place, but at least with Canon's you know it's in position. Luxury? I think so.



The felt is the other factor. While there are many debates about the felt being necessary, you can't argue that light reflects more off of plastic vs. felt. Granted there are very few situations that the planets would align and the light would bounce just right as to affect image quality, but it could happen. I personally have never really had an issue, but if it's something that you would worry about, then step it up.



Regardless this is a good product and it's durability and design is certainly enough to get the job done. This hood will also serve the purpose of some extra "protection" for little cost.



If you spend any time outside, then you want a hood. This will get the job done and I would buy this one again if I needed a different size and Canon didn't provide one. Precision Design EW-78BII Lens Hood for Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

Worked perfectly. Canon's wide angle lenses (especially their big (72mm filter size)zooms) really have a problem with sunlight intrusion. You'd think Canon would include this with those big-aperture lenses...but they don't. Don't know if the smaller diameter lenses have as much problem with stray light intrusion; but I highly recommend this for the larger diamter lenses...it's almost a "must have". The hood is lightweight, plastic and attaches reasonably easily (seems to get cross-threaded occasionally). Does a great job keeping out the sunlight intrusion.

Honestly, I was a little apprehensive regarding purchasing this over the more expensive Canon product. But, as soon as it arrived and I put it on my 28-135mm lens, my worries were gone. It fits my lens to the "T" and is constructed of quality, sturdy plastic.

Yes you can spend a little more for the Canon hood (thanks for not including them with your lenses by the way), or you can save a little cash, and get this one that does the EXACT same job. Your choice. I know for me, every dollar that I save on one piece of camera gear, goes right into the pot for my next purchase. Saving money is a good thing, and you can't go wrong with this hood from Precision Design

The description does not mention that the inside of hood is not felted, and I didn't read the reviews before purchasing this hood. I have to trust it's going to be fine since other reviewers have said it hasn't been an issue yet. It does appear to be roughed up or bead blasted on the inside to reduce light reflections. It hasn't been sunny in my area so I can't test the reflective qualities of the material yet. Considering that this hood is only a fraction of cost of the canon, I think it's probably a safe buy for casual photographers. If your a pro and your reputation is on the line, go with the cannon. I have to think that canon puts felt on the inside for a good reason.

This lens hood is nicely constructed, and works perfectly.



The only negative is that it is a pretty tight fit and so getting it on is a bit of a chore and it makes me nervous how hard I have to grip the lens.

This lens hood does exactly what it is advertised to do. It has a good fit and remains securely attached to the lens. It is easy to install and remove. It is not the same as the original Canon hood, but it is well worth the cost and it seems to do the job well. - 28-135mm - Ef 28-135 Is Lens - Lens Hood - Photography'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information