Thursday 23 June 2011

Computer Accessories - ipad, stylus


I bought a Pogo Sketch to use with my iPad and at first I was elated. However, I used the pen quite a bit with the Penultimate app. In a few weeks the tip had flattened to the point that metal was starting to scrape the screen. I then ordred this Boxwave stylus and realized that I had been eating hamburger before when I could have had steak. The Capacitive Stylus tip is much harder and will last many months (years) longer than the Pogo. The harder tip also produces less friction so it is much smoother. I have a Zagg protective screen on my iPad is it works great with it. It is kinda expensive, but in the end you'll be glad that you spent the extra money. One thing that I hope they will change is the length of the attachment cable. It is made for an iPhone (and not an iPad). One end snaps into the headphone jack as an anchor. It it were longer, it would be of great use. BoxWave Capacitive iPad Stylus (Metallic Silver)

As another reviewer said, this product is superior to the Pogo Sketch.



The BoxWave has a more solid design. The clip at the top is metal, not plastic. The pen itself feels sturdier.



The tip design is superior, too. Instead of a black sponge for the capacitive surface, the BoxWave has a firm, balloon-like tip. It's basically a hollow, dome-shaped piece of rubber (or rubber-like material). It seems sturdy enough.



It allows you to write at an angle, which was a problem for me with the Pogo. You don't have to press hard at all for your iWhatever to register contact. Sometimes I had to push a little using the Sketch.

This stylus is ok for just fun use in penultimate or other app. However, if you want to take serious notes in a meeting, or if you are a student- it's just not going to happen with this stylus. Its not responsive enough, that is you sometimes have to write a letter several times for the screen to "read" it. Also, it fairly difficult to write in small text as you would on a normal sheet of lined paper- realistically it will not happen. The writing tip is like an eraser and just doesn't respond absolutely to the screen. Cool to play around with though.

I was originally on a search for a fine point stylus to take notes with - and found out that there likely will never be a product for the iPad due to the way the system is built. I still wanted a stylus for ease of navigation with my iPad - maybe it's just me, but mine gets fingerprints and smudges often...annoying.



I tried the pogo sketch - that was a fail! The soft nub (it was like the smooth velcro) had no substance to it and would flatten easily - I was scared that it would scratch the screen. Figured I'd give this rubber tipped one a try.



It works great, flows very smoothly on the screen, makes me think of the days of using a pencil/pen to dial on a rotary phone. I would have thought that with a rubbery tip, it might have been too much traction that the stylus would "stutter" as I'm running it through the screen, it doesn't. I'm able to tap easily through apps and screens. The only draw back is that i really can't "write" notes. I've tried it with apps (Sundry Notes and Penultimate, not really useful). However, it's great for the drawing apps.



I like that the string hooks to the headphone jack - my portfolio doesn't have a pen holder so this make it great to store. It tucks into the closure clasp of the portfolio while still being hooked to the headphone jack. Super sleek.



I'm also pleased that this is great for tiny hands. My son (23 months old) loves the ipad, but his fingers are too small to register on the screen consistently. With this tool he has been able to use it and doodle and play. That's an added bonus. The stylus has taken a beating from my son's rough use but it still works fine and the nub hasn't flattened at all.



Ran into someone else I know that had the pogo stylus - SO NOT HAPPY WITH IT. She's actually going to end up ordering the boxwave after she tried mine out. It's a bit pricier than the Pogo but worth the few dollars to prevent scratches on the ipad screen and frustration.

This is a similar review to the one I did for the Crimson Red version of the BoxWave Stylus. Other than color, there is no difference. I gave this silver one as a gift and it was well received.



I did a fair amount of research, reading existing reviews and comments, on the various capacitive touch stylus on the market. It seemed there was an overwhelming acceptance of the Pogo brand. But on the other hand, it seemed it was one of extremes, either you loved it, or not. There just wasn't much in between. I received one as a gift, and while it works, it just doesn't seem to hold up as well as others without the "foam" tip.



I saw a review on a video podcast for a stylus with a similar "rubber" tip as the BoxWave. However, I didn't care for the shape of that instrument. Then I found the BoxWave and glad I did.



I purchased two, with one intended as a gift. It works well with the iPad, which was my primary intention, and the iPhone. While smaller than a typical pen, the increased diameter over other brands makes it comfortable to use. Contrary to my opinion, however, that the larger diameter stylus is more comfortable than the similar tipped, but smaller elago Stylus, my GF prefers the more petite elago (or even the Pogo!)



The stylus works well not only as a pointing device, or for occasional casual, keyboard use (I wouldn't try to type my memoirs with one) but with graphics apps, too. While not an artist by any means, I've had great luck with apps such as ArtStudio and LiveSketch HD. And gameplay, with FlightCtrl HD or even Angry Birds, is easier and more pleasurable.



But my primary intent and favorite use by far is for note taking, in particular, with Penultimate. While it won't really replace a fountain pen and my Moleskine or Clairefontaine notebooks, it really works well and worth the price just for this.



The BoxWave is a great stylus, but granted may not be for everyone. It takes a small amount of time to become proficient. Time will tell how well the tip holds up. At this point, that is my main concern, although after a couple of months of use and carrying around daily in my bag, I haven't noticed any degradation at all. - Ipad - Stylus - Ipad Pen - Boxwave'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information