Thursday 23 June 2011

Rotary Tool - hobby tool, corded rotary tools


Keep in mind that this is not a heavy duty construction tool.



This tool will NOT be useful for:

a) cutting wood studs,

b) cutting large numbers of nails (though a couple is ok),

c) cutting large holes in drywall/sheetrock.



You will want to

a) avoid using in dusty environments. The internal parts are not sealed so that if you do not repeatedly clean it out after heavy use, you will kill the motor. (I should know. I killed mine after cutting through drywall for only 4 recessed can lights before it started smoking.)

b) move slow. It works by high rpms and has almost zero torque. Bring it to full speed and THEN cut.

c) use ear plugs. These suckers get very loud at the higher settings.

d) check out alternatives if you want construction equipment. The Dremel is actually MORE expensive than its alternatives because you are essentially paying for its small size.



What I like about the Dremel:

a) It is small.

b) It has more attachments and accessories than you can shake a stick at.



What I hate about the Dremel:

a) The documentation sucks. If you don't know the difference between a routing bit and a carbide bit, or what polishing creame is used for, then you're up a creek. The accessory packs are especially horrible. Nothing is labeled. You need to be able to tell what type of spindle goes with what type of gadget and the equivalent grit of the grinding stones by trial-and-error only.

b) Has small range. Only really useful for finishing and polishing. Very very light duty. I've heard people talk about using Dremel for this and/or that. When I tried it, it didn't work. Then I read in the little amount of documentation there is, that its not meant for doing that. Lots of misperceptions. Basically, do all the rough cutting work using other tools and finish off with this.

c) Accessory hell. Accessories are how they make the $$. Be prepared to pay through the nose for anything that doesn't come in the first box. Dremel 400-6/90 400 Series XPR Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit With 90 Accessories

I have gone through 5, count them 5 of this model. 3 failed right out of the box! I had an older Dremel from about 1997 but sadly it was stolen from my shop. The basic design is flawed. The motor and switches get clogged and choked with dust and debris from everything I have tried to cut. The stop button to change the tips locks up. The on/off switch is so difficult to turn on and off I almost cut my hand off. I am saddened to see what has happened to the Dremel. Bosch seems to have taken a once great tool and ruined it. Same as they did for Skil. I am not trying to bash Dremel. I purchased the 3956-02 model and it works fantastic. Its just seems to be the 400-6 model. My recommendation is to skip this model and go for the less expensive Dremel 3956-02 model.

I have gone out of my way to review this Dremel under each of its listings (for the various kits it is included with) because I don't find any other reviews sharing my opinion.



I have owned 2 other Dremels, and used at least a half-dozen. I looked forward to owning this one since first seeing it advertised. It looked to be a significant improvement.



I bought this Dremel because it is the only one that works with Dremel's new multisaw attachment. With that attachment, which is sold separately, you can use it like a miniature reciprocating saw (Sawzall). Just pop any "T" or "U" shaped jigsaw blade in, and you're in business. I don't know of another tool that can be used in this way, and for that reason and that reason alone this Dremel is worth owning.



I already own another multiple-speed Dremel, and I thought I'd sell it once I bought this. But I'm keeping both because this new Dremel simply feels cheap and poorly made. It seems like its plastic case is flimsier and it doesn't feel as balanced when it's operating. It certainly isn't ergonomic. Any Dremel user who buys this latest model will instantly notice the drop-off in quality.



On the good side, the multisaw attachment works well and the molded plastic case is designed to hold the Dremel, the multisaw and planer attachments, jigsaw blades, the included circle cutter and flex shaft. The kit also includes two bit sets that lock onto the top of the case, with room for two more on the sides.



There's no way I can tell if this Dremel will last. I've put a pretty good load on the motor, and it hasn't failed. But I think that if I drop it more than a few feet onto a hard surface, it will break. The shaft lock button feels particularly cheap and uncertain. I expect it to break first.



Despite all my concerns I'm keeping this Dremel. But I'll only use it when I need the multisaw or planer attachment. Any other time I'll use my other Dremel (model no. 3956-02).



It's extremely unfortunate that at the same time it has chosen to make the most versatile Dremel yet, the company also decided to cut corners on quality. Dremel doubtlessly wanted to keep the price down on this unit, but in doing so they've produced a multi-function tool that feels like a toy.

Since I don't own a drill or reciprocating saw, I thought that this tool would replce those. I live in an apartment and need it only for small jobs. For the most part it had worked as a replacement for those. However, I still needed to buy quite a few parts not included in the kit - drill bits, blade for the saw, extra chucks. I realize that I'm not quite utilizing the tool for its intended use, but it has served my purposes. I've been fairly happy the few times I used it. Just note that the tool get very hot with extended use. Overall, this was a good package with the best variety of tool attachments, as for the bits themselves, they could have provided a better selection and slightly better instructions for their use. - Hobby Tool - Corded Rotary Tools - Dremel Xpr - Multitool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information