Friday 24 June 2011

Cooler Master - chill pad, laptop cooling pad


I have a Dell Studio 1535 Laptop. I've never pushed my laptop hardware to the limits before and it will still get really hot over time but not slow down. So then why would I need a laptop cooler? Well, about 6 months ago I purchased StarCraft II.



My laptop's specs:

4 GB 667MHz RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1 GHz CPU

ATI Radeon HD Mobility 3450 256MB GPU

1440x900 resolution

15.6" screen



When playing StarCraft II I needed to set everything onto low settings (shaders to low, all lighting to low, effects to low, physics off, textures to low, and run at 1280x800 resolution). Even with everything low, my laptop got blistering hot and the framerate would drop significantly to 20fps or lower in more taxing gameplay making the experience difficult to play. The heat was incredible as well. My hand rests left of the touchpad in order to hotkey and that location gets burning hot.



I realized I needed a cooler. I looked between the 3 different Thermaltake coolers at the time and decided on this one. I have my USB Hub connecting my printer, mouse, and other items plugged into one of the USB ports on the cooler, while the other USB plug goes to my laptop. This way when I connect the cooler to sit down, all my devices are connected as well which is great, it is basically a dock. The cooling is also incredible on how well it improved my system.



Now I can't give you any temperatures but I can tell you how drastically my experience improved. I went from running the lowest settings on StarCraft II with bad framerate drops and a blistering hot computer to being able to bump my effects to medium and physics to low (my gpu bottlenecks my computer so I still keep the graphic settings to low), my computer is cool to the touch on the underside and the spot where my hand rests is warm instead of blistering hot, and my framerate never drops below 30fps whenever I play (even during 3 vs 3) making my experience much more enjoyable and easier to manage.



I highly recommend this if you want to cool down your laptop and improve performance. Heat isn't good for the hardware and most laptops can't dissipate heat very well at all. This is the perfect size for 15.6" laptops or less (anything bigger will overhang the cooler), and the 2 USB ports allow you to connect your USB dock into the cooler making the cooler a hub (you will need the USB ports on your laptop to be on the left or back, if they are only on the right you will need a USB extension to connect the cooler). Lastly, you will not need to worry about the noise of the fan, although it is powerful and large, it is very quiet. Quieter than my laptop's internal fan. Thermaltake Massive23 LX Laptop Notebook Cooler Oversized 230mm Blue LED Fan USB CLN0015

This really keeps my Core2Duo laptop running super cool and its also not too loud. It is MUCH better than the targus one that I bought before. I saw a lot of bad reviews on this product so I initially hesitated but I am glad that I got it. I also like the blue light, its a nice touch! Only thing that remains now is to see how it performs over time.

I've ordered this cooling fan to my Asus n61jq, and fix perfect, also have two switch, one to turning on/off the fan, and another one to led.

Very glad with this, I am recommend this to any one to want to buy a notebook fan cooler.

This thing is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! got it under my 17" laptop, and within an hour of running, my laptop was ice cold! It runs quieter than my laptop does, and the blue glow from underneath just gives it an extra kick of awesomeness! its a little smaller than my laptop, but I find this to be a perk as I can store it in my laptop case on the go, Before this product, I had a monstrous Belkin Laptop Cooling Lounge... While it was nice to have the Belkin for propping up higher on my lap, its cooling capabilities can't even compare to the Massive 23x! Absolutely recommend to any laptop user..I also love the extra USB port that it gives me, and the on/off switch for the fan and leds for when it gets to cool, or just don't want the lights on... Storage for the usb cord is very nice as well.. The only CON I can think of really, is the USB cord is a bit long... but I'm sure that will come in handy at some point..

Before I purchased this cooler for my 17" HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook PC, the lap top would just shut down on its own due to over heating after I had been using it for about an hour give or take. I have been using this cooler now for about a month and there have been only a few times where I have turned off my lap top and the cooler. Otherwise, they are both running 24 hrs a day. At first I didn't think it was going to work because when I turned it on I felt very little air movement. But to my surprise, not once has my lap top shut down on its own, nor do I about scorch my fingers on the exhaust vent on the lap top. In fact the lap top's own cooling fan hardly seems to ever turn on. The metal mesh gets very cool to the touch so that might also have an additional cooling effect on the lap top.



The unit looks very nice, with or without the blue LED lights on and is very quiet. The handles are a great feature.



There is only one reason I don't give it a 5 star. Sometimes I like to use my lap top in bed and therefore if I place it on my lap the intake vents under the unit are blocked by my blankets. So I use a traditional lap top rest to place the cooler on top to give it the space it needs underneath. No big deal to me but it would be nice to see this unit have its own base attached.



So, over all I am very pleased with this purchase and would definitely recommend this product to my friends. Oh, and by the way, delivery was fast. I ordered the cooler on a Sunday with regular shipping and received it by that Friday of the same week. - Laptop Accessories - Laptop Cooling Pad - Laptop Fan - Chill Pad'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information