Friday 17 June 2011

Audio-technica - camcorder mic, adapter


Straight-forward, easy to use. The reproduction of recorded sounds is excellent. The stereo feature works very well with good separation of left/right placement. Very reasonably priced, a good quality microphone for the video/audiofile. Audio-Technica PRO24CM Stereo Microphone with Camera Mount

I hadn't seen much of a review addressing this mic for use with audio reproduction in a Venue or live music setting- so here are my two cents. I have to say that the frequency response has proven shockingly true with a variety of ensembles, and has generally been a pleasure to work with given its compact size. I use this mic in conjunction with a Kodak Playtouch HD Palm Camera, and it has totally transformed the quality of live recordings. One of the best purchases i've ever made. Could not recommend it highly enough.

I purchased this microphone for my JVC HM1 Camcorder to improve sound recording in breezy conditions. The microphone did not come with a fur windscreen as some packages of this microphone do. I aquired some faux fur from a fabric shop and had it sewed into a sock and overall I am very happy with the result in the wind. The difference is having footage that I can now use the audio from.



The microphone has a small amount of noise however the noise reduction filter in premiere removes it with no problem.



I am happy that the cord is short as the microphone is mounted on the camcorder. I also like that I do not need a battery in the microphone as it draws power through the input on my camcorder.



All up I am happy with my purchase.

this mic is probably worth 39.95 and is what mics like this usually sold for before all the video hubub of late. it is flimsy and cheap plastic and can break easily. the sound is ok the windscreen semi-useless and the small size and placement picks up all the bad sound from especially camera noise ( fingers hitting buttons. anguish ,wind heavy breathing,,,ha)

the positive aspect is its better than the built in mic,(using it on a Nikon D7000) and practical for carrying around.if what is shot becomes useful for any commercial or presentation use, sound editing will be mandatory. for a concert hall or open space , go with Zoom.

I needed a mic to remove the awful motor sounds that came from my Canon cameras (on board mics are so sensitive to all sounds) so I bought an Audio-Technica long, shot-gun mic and it worked very nicely indeed. However, I found the shot-gun mic a bit cumbersome at times when I was shooting without a boom operator so I bought the Audio-Technica Pro24CM and it delivered what I needed. It's a short, light-weight mic with good subject sensitivity and clear sound with no awful camera motor noise to contend with. The mic is powered by a small battery for those cameras that don't have on-board phantom power. I attached the mic to an L-shaped bracket (that Amazon also sells) which in turn attaches to the camera base and I'm ready to shoot! It's a great little microphone for cameras with a 1/8 mic jack. At the time of purchase, I got it at a very good sale price and delivery time from Amazon was very fast and hassle free.

I bought this to use with my Canon HF10, and was very excited to try it out. Slapped it on right when it got here, and it worked great! Cuts out a lot of background noise, and wind is eliminated. Very small, and easy to use. Just wish it took a different battery type.

I bought this mic to use with my Canon T2i. It does sound a little better than the built in mic but just barely!

BUT the output is about 30% lower than the built in mic and worse, there is a fairly loud background hiss all the time!



Maybe this mic will work better with another type of camera or camcorder...

I use this microphone on my Pentax K5 DSLR. I was looking for something that made a small statement. I also didn't want to spend over $100. Very easy setup. I also like the coil cord which keeps it out of the way. The RAW sound that comes out of the file is somewhat lifeless but as soon as you do a little post processing it's incredible! I use a simple editor in my video processing software that brings the sound to life. I just recorded an acoustic performance last night that sounds great!! If you willing to do a little simple .wav editing, it will produce great sound. For what I use this mic for (which is mainly music performances) it works well.

I tested it with Sony DSLR a560. Without the battery I can hear a sound like a working motor (quiet though), but I did not mount it on the camera, besides, the camera was recording at memory stick not on a HDD or like that. My guess, that this was an EM interference. Without battery there was mono recording - no matter what side from I would speak, the sound was on the middle in the playback. With battery in, the interference was 99% gone, but hiss is appear. Not much, but I can tell the difference in the quiet room or if you playing back through headphones, and - yes, there is stereo. When I compared the sound with battery out to the sound with battery in, the last one was more clear and a little bit louder. With the battery out, at the same distance from microphone (about 1 yard), the sound was like the battery was dieing: vibrating, more quiet and unclear. The camera battery was at 74% - more than enough to power a microphone.

Of cause it might be the camera itself. But camera manual says that external microphone will be powered by camera. Well, and it does, but microphone in any way should record the stereo. But stereo recording works with battery in only. I wrote about this issue to Audio-Technica. Here is what they answered:



"Although the microphone will operate using plug-in power, we recommend using battery power for optimal performance. There are no standards for plug-in power, so the voltage varies by device, resulting in inconsistent performance. This does not explain the mono recording issues; I have not had any reports of this. I recommend simply replacing the battery before important shoots; LR44 batteries are available at most drug stores, etc. and are fairly inexpensive."



In two words. This microphone works great, the price is affordable, not for every camera - battery free, and Sony DSLR is needed "Hot Shoe Adapter".

I liked sound recording with battery better anyway. So, I'm gonna keep it. Actually because the microphone does not have a power indicator, I'll try to buy some cheap digital portable button batteries tester and build it in parallel to circuity connection with switch to watch the battery power level. Here is test of Sony A560 with this microphone : [...] - Microphone - Audio Technica - Camcorder Mic - Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information