Monday 20 June 2011

Fein Multimaster


I bought this tool with a specific job in mind - removing the vinyl floor in my kitchen. My installer said we'd need to go over the old floor with new underlayment, since the old floor would just be too hard to remove, and we'd probably damage the plywood underneath. But I recalled seeing this tool in action, and placed my order, hoping I hadn't just made a $399 mistake.



I opened the case, installed the power scraping blade, crossed my fingers and turned it on. WOW! It sliced the old vinyl floor away cleanly, adhesive and all, leaving the undamaged plywood behind. I quickly found it was easiest to run a utility knife blade through the flooring in strips just a little wider than the blade, and then the floor started to fly out. To be sure, it's still work, and you're still on your hands and knees - and I wouldn't want to strip an auditorium this way - but for my project, it will save me paying for underlayment (1/2 the price of the tool in one fell swoop!) and, more importantly, keep me from having to build the floor up higher than I'd like relative to the adjacent tile.



I'm sure there's a thousand more things I can do with this tool, and I'm looking forward to exploring it's capabilities. I couldn't be happier with this bad boy! Fein FMM 250Q Top Plus MultiMaster Oscillating Detail Sander Tool Kit

I finally gave in and bought the Fein MultiMaster Top Plus & it has a 40% improvement in power over the previous Fein MultiMaster. I also own the Dremel Multimax but the Fein beats the Dremel in every operational mode there is & has alot more additional accessories! It has a more powerful electric motor with alot more torque for heavy duty work, it vibrates less, has a longer & flexible power cord, & includes a genuine rasp, plus the air vents do not get in the way like the Dremel. The Fein Multimaster cuts faster & more precise than the Dremel. They sell different aftermarket blades which are alot cheaper in price than the brand name ones; try the Imperial blades from PlungeCut. I have read a couple major reviews & the Fein comes out as #1. One big plus is you can buy alot of accessories from Fein for the MultiMaster! ( The Fein is the original oscillating tool thats been made for years.) The Rockwell Sonicrafter was rated #2 but is made in China, the Dremel was rated #3 in the reviews & assembled in Mexico. The reviews were from Cool Tools & Popular Mechanics.

The Fein might cost alot more but it is a contractor's grade tool built to take it & keep running!

I bought the Fein due to quality, reliability, and dependability!

This tool is very well built and really does the job on most applications except the one I needed. I bought the tool for the detail Finger Sander attachment. This is the small pointed hook and loop attachment which gets into tight corners and the places that a lager sander can't go. The problem is that the tool side hook and loop material glued to the finger substrate. When you go to attach the finger shaped disposable sand paper the tool side hook and loop peels right off the second you put the tool to use. It just comes right off at the pointed tip leaving the sandpaper unsupported or unhooked....and having the sandpaper securely fastened to the pointed tip is the whole idea. Without that the sandpaper just flaps around and disintegrates. Very Very Very frustrating. I have used the blade attachments and the other sanding pads and the work great. So if you want the tool for the detail sanding capabilities do not buy it, if you want it for the mini saws, T shaped saw blades, polishing pad jobs and larger sanding disc operations buy it.

This tool, for anyone who doesn't already just really really want/need one, is probably a bit pricey and unnecessary when you could get something cordless like the bosch for less. (don't even think about getting the rockwell or dremmel or craftsman version of this thing. Co workers have tried to make do with these knock-offs, which I have tried, and all fail in comparison to the fein, especially in longevity. The fein tool is meant for all those jobs where you scratched your head for a second wondering how you were going to do that. And that's pretty damn cool. The blades are priced to suggest they're made of gold, but I hear the craftsman blades,(although cheaper quality), are a lot cheaper in price and fit the fein. I haven't tried this though, so dont take my word for it. If you're like me, dedicated to quality and loves companies that have the guts and the confidence to stand behind their products, needs this "do everything nothing else could do" piece of equipment to last and not have to worry about an uncharged battery when your cutting back siding and step flashing where the eyebrow meets the roofing, then here you go. This is what I paid all that extra money for. Dependability. Period. 'Cause when you need this thing, you really really need it. It should come with one of those Staples or Office Max "That was easy" buttons. :)

OK, knew a guy with the Fein MultiMaster and helped him remodel a kitchen.

He asked me to cut a square opening through the two layers of plywood that where there for water access. I had never used an oscillating tool like it before or since. It went through the material(which was pretty hard) just like butter, i was amazed! WOW, this is nice-smooth, lots of power and control, limited vibration and precise, Sweet!

So I decided I needed to have one as well, but the price was more than I wanted to pay. But I thought I was in luck, because the Demel Multimax

had just came on the market, what timing. It was an oscillating tool and even had Multi in it's name, was only $99.00 and was made by a company with a reputation for pretty good tools.

NO NO NO! Don't buy it... I used it to remodel my bathroom.

I tried to cut trough a stud to fit it an electrical box and the kickback was fierce. There is not enough weight behind the tool, and when you apply your weight to compensate, your hands pay the price.

Notice the smaller Dremel body.

It vibrates like a jackhammer, and yet does not penetrate

with near the ease of the Fein. I will gift it to someone (poor gift)and just do what I should have in the first place. Then I could have saved $99.00. Bottom line is you usually get what you pay for the MultiMaster truly is the Master of oscillating tools. Non-Vibrating Hands Down.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Fein Multimaster Fein Multimaster Fein Multimaster