Monday 29 December 2008

Contractor Supply - box cutter, folding


ok, i insulated my entire roof area a while back, and i went through about six utility knives, because first i was laying them down on roof joists when i needed to put them down after cutting the pink stuff. and then i couldn't find them because i probably insulated over it or kicked it somewhere. and i kept having to go get another one. so i started trying to stick the knife in my pants pocket. (i don't have a shirt pocket - i'm a girl thing.) so that wound up with the knife cutting holes in my belly, so i turned it around and poked holes in my leg. and i'm wondering, is this really necessary? (and i didn't have a jacket pocket either because it was 100+ degrees up there. only reason i was wearing clothes at all was because of the dirt.)



so way later, i don't know how i ran across this bessey folding knife on amazon, but i buy tools on amazon from time to time so probably they just popped it up. and i just said, yeah, it folds! can put in my pants pocket without stabbing me! woo hoo! and also i saw that the blades just pop out instead of having to unscrew something, and even though i didn't know i needed that function, once i saw it i knew it was a great thing because don't you sometimes work with a dull blade because it's just such a pain to change the blade?



actually, i had tried another folding utility knife sold by a place where i buy car stuff, but it was garbage and i threw it away. so i was very pleased when i got this one and it was like the tyrannosaurus rex of utility knives. it chunks and unchunks when you fold and unfold it, and it is solid and feels like it will never fall apart. also the function where you can instantly eject and reverse or change the blade is very handy. i will never work with a dull blade again. and it feels great in your hand.



i went to my dad's over christmas - he is a 72 year old ex marine vietnam veteran. we built him his first computer while i was there. we used this knife (which i carry in my purse) to cut open all of the boxes for the computer parts. then i was going to teach him how to order stuff on amazon, and i said "what do you want?" he said "get me that knife." also, he borrowed it from me and took it to his coffee with his military guys. Bessey D-BKWH Quick-Change Folding Utility Knife - Wood Grain Handle

I really like this knife. I love these folding utility knives since you never have to worry about sharpening a blade. The blade gets dull, just change it. The quick change feature seems to really work. I feel like I have a very good quality knife that looks pretty good. I am quite pleased with it.



I bought my dad and husband the Bessey DBKPH Quick-Change Folding Utility Knife - PVC Handle with 5 Blade Storage Compartment which they absolutely love. The main difference between the two is that this one is much nicer looking and is a little heavier (1 1/8 oz). The one I got my dad and husband doesn't look quite as nice, but it does have a compartment that holds 5 extra blades. Because of that, it is quite a bit bulkier. If you are considering a folding utility knife, I would definitely recommend one of these two. Just figure out what you want, and decide which one fits your needs better.

I've been a big fan of these folding utility knives for as long as they've been around. This one is absolutely amazing. Truly "Buck knife" quality in a folding utility knife.



You can't even begin to see the quality in the picture - I was really surprised when I got it in the mail. Heavy aluminum frame with nice polished wood accent.



Everyone should have one of these!

I've owned a TON of utility knives in my search for the "ONE"...sadly, this wasn't it and I'm dumbfounded by all the positive reviews here on this site. This knife lasted all about 5 minutes and literally broke the first time I used it -- cutting up the Amazon box it came in. The head on the bolt that holds the body of the knife together sheared right off and now it's a wobbly/useless mess. I'm too busy/lazy to fuss with the RMA to send this back, so I'll retire it to my drawer of other misfit utility knives. I can also confirm that this knife is way too heavy to carry in a pocket all day. FYI...my current go-to knife is the Stanley 10-816L matched with a Bucket Boss 54042 knife holder, but still looking...

best utility knife I Have ever purchased, It has a very sleek and strong design, and the quick change makes it a plus!+++ its smaller than your regular long, slip out,(not to mention dealing with a screw to just put a blade in) utility knife because it folds. The weight to it make you feel like you have a really good quality tool in your hands... And thats because it is!!!!

Fabulous knife I use it everyday at work and it still looks brand new. IT ALSO IS MADE VERY WELL AND HOLDS UP TO THE TUFFIST OF CONDITIONS. I even dropped it several times and it hardly even left a scratch on it. A must for the serious worker or homeowner who needs a good knife.

We bought a new house, and the packing was well under way when I came across the Bessey D-BKWH folding utility knife. I have inexpensive utility knives for the occasional drywall repair job and assorted odd jobs. However a folding knife seemed more useful on moving day and the following days spent unpacking.



Like typical utility knives, this one uses a standard angled tip blade. Unlike the typical knife, the Bessey folds like a quality switchblade including a safety to prevent accidental closing. Weighing 6.2 ounces, it has a nice weight and is shaped for comfortable use. A clip on the side permits storing the utility knife on your belt or is small enough to fit in a jean's pocket.



Most standard utility knifes require disassembling the handle to get the blade and reassembling back to a usable state. This is not a difficult task, but is much easier on the Bessey D-BKWH folding utility knife. Simply open the blade, flip the security latch on the top, and slide the blade cover down. With full access, flip or replace the blade, then reverse the previous steps holding the blade cover in place with your thumb.



As for moving, this folding utility knife was an excellent choice for me. With everything going on and my inability to stay in one place, keeping track of the knife was easy. I would use it, then store at my side. Even though we are pretty much unpacked now, I still use my Bessey instead of my other utility knives. This is an excellent quality utility knife worth purchasing.



PROS:

Quality construction

Handsome appearance

Simple blade changing



CONS:

No storage for extra blades - Folding - Utility Knives - Razor Blade - Box Cutter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information