Thursday 25 December 2008

Hitachi Wide Crown Stapler - wide crown stapler, lithium-ion


As a DIYer, and not a builder by profession, I was looking for a medium crown stapler (MCS from now on)of reasonable quality and price- not necessarily the top of the line that will last me through decades of constant use. The Makita matched these criteria well in my search through the reviews of MCS. I was even looking at reconditioned ones and the new Makita at Amazon beat most of the name brand tools - even as a new item.

The other criteria I wanted was quality, and at least in the reviews I found online and not just at Amazon, this one got good reviews. So far, and I haven't put too many staples in for the particular project I purchased this for, but has performed beautifully - no jams as yet, it's light enough to be reasonable (and I'm a woman using this for soley overhead work at this time), and the hook for hanging it on a belt as come in very handy.

The only downfalls I've found, and again, these don't affect me that much because of my DIYer status, are the depth adjustment which requires the use of an allen wrench (fortunately stored on the tool itself) and the loosening of a screw to adjust - unlike my PC finish nailer which just has a small nob to turn with your finger for depth adjustment. The other downfall is there is no case - in my opinion one can be easily built or for the pro, you could easily hang this in your truck amongst other tools. Neither of these downfalls were involved in my 4 star rating however. I just did not feel I could give 5 stars having only put in a limited number of staples as yet.

After I finish my project, I will likely put an update of this review online.



Update 12/21/10 I have completed my project which was replacing my front porch ceiling with tongue and groove finished boards. All overhead work and never had a problem with this stapler, no jams, only two misfires which were my own fault, and no sore shoulders. Two thumbs up (and all ten fingers intact) for this stapler. Makita AT1150A 7/16-inch Medium Crown Stapler (16 Ga.)

I own a siding coil nailer from Makita and that gun is great, so with that in mind, I took a chance and bought this gun about a month ago. I have used it fairly extensively on multiple projects (cedar clapboard, T&G beaded ceiling, cedar shakes, railing spindles, a bird house and I plan on using it for a porch floor) and it has performed without a hitch, not one jam. It isn't an air hog nor does it have any trouble shooting/driving a 2" staple... to date, that's all I've shot is 2" staple. It's light and easy to use... well balanced and fits the hand well. A well engineered gun.



We will see on the durability aspect of it, but if it's anything like the other Makita gun I own (2 yrs and counting) I have nothing to worry about.



I give 5 stars for the gun and gun performance...



I give Makita less than that since most of us (those who use these type of tools on a daily basis) don't need another pair of (cheap) safety glasses, and I suspect that most people who own pneumatic guns and such have plenty of oil. While those things are nice... I'd rather see a selectable trigger like the coil nailer has... and a case wouldn't hurt either.



I digress... the gun is great and well worth the cost. I initially paid $187 and change for it when I first purchased it and have watched as it's dropped almost $60.00. Luckily for me, it's been within the 30 day window allowing me to receive adjustments. $187 and change is a lot to pay for this gun, $130.00-ish is not... it's a steal. I'd buy it again in a second.



UPDATE: 12-14-08 Gun still going strong and performing without a single hitch... this gun has yet to fail or disappoint. I also see that me getting it for the $130 is indeed a steal. Oh well... still a great gun though. - Air Stapler - Makita - Lithium-ion - Wide Crown Stapler'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information