Wednesday 31 December 2008

Multifunction Tools - oscillating saw, oscillating tool


I bought this tool with the thought in mind not to spend too much on something I probably wouldn't use very often. At this price it was a cheap gamble. I finally got a chance to use it the other day, replacing some T&G flooring and was impressed at how well it worked. It's looks and feels solid and at this point I consider it a good purchase.I really can't see what any of the major name brand tools could do better. The only down point is finding blades that fit. You won't find them at HD or Lowes. Amazon sells blades made by Versa-Tool that fit, so if you buy the tool, stock up so you don't get caught without any replacements.



Update: The Bosch blades will fit, but man are they expensive! Also, if you hit a nail it doesn't matter how much you paid for the blade, it's history.



Update part 2: Ever heard the old saying "You get what you pay for"? Well, in this case it turned out to be true. After using the tool for just a few times, it started acting erratic until it finally just would not turn on. I'm pretty sure it's the switch but it's useless now. It worked long enough to get an idea of it's unique abilities and opened my eyes to how useful these type of tools can be. Now I can justify buying a high end tool as I found it to be indispensible. Genesis GMT15A Multi-Purpose Oscillating Tool

I bought this to cut out some hardwood floor planks and it worked great. I've since used it many times on other projects. It seems to work just as good as the more expensive ones, just hope that it lasts as long. If not, I only paid a little and it was worth it for the few times I've used it. If you're not a general contractor and are just going to use it for home projects, I highly recommend this product.

I am a pro renovator, 35 years with 4 carpenters. Bought a Dremel type and used it for one job and everybody wanted one. Bought the others the Genesis tool, hey it's less than half the cost and the blades are much cheaper. The Genesis is proving superior, no problems whatsoever. These tools are so handy we just don't go anywhere without them, a real time saver. It's most useful as an electric chisel but all functions are great. Get one!

I have done extensive home upgrades and repairs over the years, having accumulated numerous types of saws, but I purchased this multi-purpose tool to address a single issue that I have not encountered in the past 45 years. Having seen advertisements for this type of tool, I was positive that this was the only tool that could successfully address this need to expand the attic opening to my AIR CONDITIONING air handler. All other efforts would have resulted in a time consuming 'cluggy' result. In deciding to postpone this work and purchasing this Genesis GMT15A tool, I was able to very simple and very precisely complete this job.



In a comparison with similar multi-purchase tools, I found the Genesis GMT15A to be 'on a pair' in performance, while costing about approx. 50% less. I had determined that this purchase would have been worth it, if only to get this one job done. But after receiving this tool, I can see that it will be a 'go to' produce in many of my future efforts.

OK, my neighbor has a Fein multimaster and it is awesome. We use it all the time and I kind of got the Fein envy a few weeks ago so I decided to try this brand out. I must say that I have used this now for about a month and it is awesome. Although it isn't a Fein, it weighs about the same, feels the same and is about the same level of noise. The heads are interchangeable with the Fein and it is about 1/10th the cost. I can't say whether it will last for twenty years but at 1?10th the price I can afford to buy one every 5 years for the rest of my life and still come in under what the Fein brand name costs. Not sure if this is a good financial decision for you but if you are on a tight budget like I am you would be a fool to pass this one up. I have used it to scrape paint and glue, cut drywall, concrete, metal and wood. The only thing I had any trouble going through was a concrete nail. (For what it is worth, my neighbor with the Fein burned a blade up as well and we ended up just beating the nail out instead) I would definately recommend this one and will be getting several to send out as Christmas gifts this year. My only explanation of the price difference from the Fein is that they must have lost the patent and cheaper models are now available.



5 Stars from this home improvement user!

I like the size, weight and feel of this Genesis tool. It's effectiveness is not in question. What I find disconcerting is that the triangular sandpaper affixes to the tool head without any fastener or tie-down, resulting in slippage of the paper after a bit of use.

I struggled with buying the Rockwell or even a used Fein, not being able to justify spending a whole lot on a tool that would just be used around the house. I needed it for one particular project but wasn't sure how much use it would get beyond that.



It's worked great so far (for cuts in wood and some sanding). No problems with overheating motor or loosening of the blade during use. There's no question these tools are handy, and I've been using it a lot more than I thought I would.



That said, it could easily crap out on me tomorrow. But for the $35 I paid for it I'm very happy with its performance so far. I generally like to buy "name brand" tools and usually the professional ones if possible, but I highly recommend this tool for the homeowner.



By the way, Bosch is coming out with an adapter so that any multi-tool can be used with any brand's accessories/blades. So you should be able to put a higher quality cutting blade (with the higher price) on this tool if you wanted.

I have had my GMT15A for a couple of weeks now and it has surprised me in comparison to the reviews I have read on similar tools for 3 times the price or better. I have used it for six hours straight scraping epoxy from metal sinks, and it worked great, without getting hot like the others do, according to the reviews. I can't say I like the regular saw blade that comes with the unit, but the other blade works great; it cuts much too slowly. Sanding is good as well. Only having the one speed doesn't seem to be an issue at all; it's all that's needed. I definitely recommend it for the price. It beats the higher priced ones from all I've read. - Oscillating Saw - Multimaster - Multifunction Tools - Oscillating Tool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information