Wednesday 31 December 2008

Marine Splash Guard


When I received this item, it was bright white. It looked silver or grayish to me on the picture. I emailed the company to ask them for a RMA number because my dash is black and it stuck out like a sore thumb. The product itself is fine, but the company sucks. They refused to give a RMA number and said their return policy stated that if the package was open, they would not give a refund. I never opend the package. I could've returned it just exactly as I received it. Filed a complaint with Amazon and they were no help at all. I've spent a ton of money with Amazon, but this is the very last thing I will ever order here again. Done. Dual SG1 Universal Splash Guard Marine Head Unit Cover

OK, this product has some good attributes which some other reviewers have not covered or vaguely mentioned. First, the self-lifting faceplate. Yes, it lifts up on it's own. Which means it has a pressure center latch/button you must push to open the face; a very nice feature. This unit's faceplate tint is a light champagne hue which allows you to easily see the display on your stereo in full daylight. If you have a stereo that uses a fluorescent display, then you were probably like me with my old splash-guard that had a very "sunglasses" dark tinting requiring you to open it up each time to view your display; a slight nuisance, but a nuisance nonetheless. Why your stereo needs sunshades is beyond me, since you should have a marine rated player which means it has all the UV protection elements a well designed marine player should have. Sure it comes without instructions, but so does a pair of jeans, and you know how to put those on correctly...right? It does come with a stick-on foam "seal." That seal is way to thin to compensate for any large differences in the fascia mount. It is good for a template, but not much else. I used a much thicker EPDM rubber weatherstrip that can be easily found at any hardware supply. Even with that, I added a bead of 100% Marine Silicone to add safety redundancy.

Much better than what came with my marine stereo! Yeah directions and a template would have been helpful but the product performance is worth it. Best splash guard I've seen. Note: if your stereo isnt perfectly aligned,the cover could stick at the top. Just get it right and the cover is perfect. I'd buy another. The window going up almost looks automated.. but please include a template on the box or something. (Trick) use the foam seal backing that you peel off for your template..That worked for me.

This splash guard was well packaged and in excellent conditions.

It has a slick look that will make your boat look sick (In a good way) It fits most radios, personally i was planing to install a car radio and it did fit, but my recently purchased boat was a POS and I returned it and kept the cover, oh well it is still an awesome buy.

My prior one was deteriorating and a bit broken. This was very easy to install and worked flawlessly. Note that there are NO instructions- that's ok I guess. The side clips that cover the skrew holes are strangely designed. You can only get to them from an unistalled unit to take them off. The snap into place and I'm guessing there is NO way to remove them without breaking them- unless of course you had the unit off the boat which is impossible if you haven't had access to the screws!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Marine Splash Guard Marine Splash Guard Marine Splash Guard