Saturday 27 December 2008

Work Wear - carpenter jeans, jeans


Bought a pair for work, which is currently a mixed use metal shop. I'm both a welder and a designer, and had until this point been working in whatever old, beat up pair of cargo pants happened to be around. As I spend part of my time welding, grinding, fitting, etc. and part of it talking to designers, architects and other clients, I had started to worry about showing up to their offices looking either like a vagrant, or like I never did any real work if I changed into dressier slacks. These, I think, bridge that gap nicely.



I like the double knee, though I've yet to try any inserts for kneeling. There's enough fabric/padding that, at least on fairly flat concrete, it's not uncomfortable for me to kneel for five or ten minutes. (30 year old knees in decent shape, your mileage may vary)



I like the slightly more broken in feel of these. The non-washed version felt a little like I might find the skin worn off my thighs at the end of the day.



As far as fit goes, I found the waist true to size. I ordered them a little long (I'm usually around a 31" inseam) because the description made it sound like they might ride a bit high, but I ended up getting them hemmed to 30 1/2", and I'd probably just order a 30" inseam next time.



I can't speak to long term durability yet, as I've only been wearing them for a month. Here's hoping.



I do wish I could get other colours from the same supplier, but, due to some kind of stocking issue, the brown pair come from one company, with reasonable shipping, while if I want a pair in grey to break up the monotony, the shipping, to Canada, will cost as much as the pants. I like them, but they're not $100 pants. Carhartt Men's Double Front Washed Duck Work Dungaree,Brown,38x30

I love these pants! I'd buy them again. If only they were made in the USA, and came in more leg lengths....



My only real suggestion would be to make a model that gave you the choice of flaps over the pockets. When woodworking, or stacking firewood, the pockets will fill with debris, they have big openings and are kind of loose.

Carhartt jeans are indestructable. I am very hard on jeans due to my work and these double kneed pants are great. I have some that are two years old now and still I'm able to wear them to work, the other brands were falling apart after 6 months! I was thrilled to see them offered in black and ordered them right away. Thank you! - Pants - Jeans - Work Pants - Carpenter Jeans'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information