Friday 26 December 2008

Retractable


I used to swear this pen was the best but was forced to change my story. This pen has a couple of major failings. Fist the ink takes some time to dry so I am constantly smearing it. Second if you bump the tip at all the ball point gets damaged and leaks everywhere. If the tip is damaged it'll also not roll properly and write intermittently instead of a smooth consistent line. If you are using an edge to make a straight line the gel collects on the tip and will leave a blob on your paper, and also on your edge. Finally, while this pen is not a small fortune it is more expensive then my new favourite alternative the EnerGel from Pentel which is a better solution for the problems I've listed. When you write a letter or anything really, you should not feel the need to clean up like after you've been painting. This pen gets on everything even when you're careful. Pilot G2 Fine Point Rolling Ball Black Gel Ink Pens, 2-Pack (31031)

Of all the varied pens swimming about my cubicle -- we're talking about 2 dozen and that doesn't count the sharpies -- my G2 fine point blacks are my favorite. The ink is nice and dark, it comes out easily, there are no clogs. I don't have to press really hard like some ballpoints require and with the advent of arthritis this really matters to me. Yet normal pressure is enough to get a legible image on the second sheet in my carbonless-copy phone message book. I also like them for home use. Alas, so does our puppy....yum yum.

I bought these pens because the pilot precise V7 pens were so expensive. I find that they work very well, and they have a very nice rubberized spot at the bottom that enhances holding the pen. I like the way one can tell the amount of ink remaining, it is quite visible. The click mechanism seems strong.



I find that the ink flows well, but not quite as well as the V7, which remains my ultimate standard in a good pen.



Overall, I prefer the V7, but if you like a click-style pen, this one is a good performer.



The pen is functional rather than elegant; this device is appropriate for work-a-day use. If you want an stylish pen I would not opt for this model. It emphasizes functionality rather than style.

These pens are pretty good pens. I have been using Z-grip from Zebra 1.0mm (ball point) and thought I'd try out the Pilots.



Immediately, I noticed that the Pilot pen event though it has a finer point size (0.7), the ink is much darker and fluid on the paper than the Z-grips.



I've also been using a favorite Parker pen, and the Pilot pens aren't quite to that level. I prefer a 1.0mm bold point, but there's almost a little give or snag when I press down the Pilot pen to the paper and write compared to when I use the nicer Parker pen.



That said, the Pilots are good pens for the price. I probably should have selected the 1.0mm since, but the 0.7mm have helped me see which size I like better. I'll probably go for a larger pack next time.

Pilot G2 fine point roller ball pens are my pen of choice. I consistently use black, blue, and red colored pensPilot G2 Fine Point Rolling Ball Black Gel Ink Pens, 2-Pack (31031)Pilot G2 Fine Point Rolling Ball Blue Gel Ink Pens, 2-Pack (31032).



Likes:

1) I like the feel of the pen in my hand. The rubber barrel grip is comfortable and allows me to write for extended periods of time.



2) I like the way the ink rolls off of the pen tip, and the ink has a nice look on the paper.



3) There is a sufficient supply of ink to allow a pen to be used for a long time (not as long as your basic Bic pen, but still, long enough).



4) I like the retractable pen tip so I don't have to worry about losing pen caps.



5) This pen is affordable!



6) You can buy replacement ink cartidges so you don't have to toss a pen once its ink runs dry.



Dislikes: (though I very much like this pen, it's not perfect)



1) If you use the pen top draw long lines across a page ink collects at the pen tip and leaves a large blob on the page.



2) If you forget to retract the pen tip and then put the pen in your shirt pocket ink will be wicked out of the pen and leave a large ink stain on your (er...my) shirt (this happened to me).



3) The ink will run if it gets wet.



4) It's nice enough that my wife and kids make off with my pens when I'm not looking :-)



All in all this is an excellent pen, but because of a few drawbacks I can't award it 5 stars. Even so I still prefer it over other pens I've used recently.



Thanks Pilot! Any chance of working out the ink blobbing issue?

I cannot afford the fancier, more expensive roller-ball pens that are used for journaling and scrap-booking, so when I found these pens in Wal-mart this past Thursday, I was very impressed. The ink flows quite well for me, and since I have trouble with my penmanship (I am right-handed, but it exhausts me to write with my injured arm) the smoothness of the gel ink on thicker paper is wonderful.



I will say a few things that people should know. The ink will run if you are using the standard thin paper that most notebooks and free paper consist of. I saw a review about the ink being intermittent and then another one about it not drying. The ink is GEL, it needs a thicker paper to be used properly. You will see it through the other side of the paper because your paper is so thin. Composition notebook paper is one very inexpensive and attractive way to get the right thickness for these pens.



Also, if you push down too hard, the ink will NOT come out and will NOT flow freely. Again, this pen is GEL ink and you canNOT force it out by pushing on it like other pens. I would know, as my own handwriting is usually very harsh. I need to push down quite hard to get a pen or pencil to make a mark because of my arm. That is why I prefer gel ink- it just flows without effort.



Some other pluses to these pens is that they are refillable, the clip does not break easily, and the pens click shut. I hate caps on pens!



I personally prefer the gel ink also, because it makes my sometimes scraggly handwriting look unique- as though I am using a quill.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Retractable Retractable Retractable