Monday 29 December 2008

Photography Equipment


I was in need of a monopod and needed it overnight so I figured I would settle for something, well, anything that could ship via Amazon Prime. When this monopod arrived wow, was I surprised with the quality.



The build quality is SOLID. It's very light weight being carbon fiber. Also due to the carbon fiber it is also very strong and I can even use it to help the creaky old bones get up. ;)



I use this with a 40D Canon and any range of lenses. I have not mounted a head on it yet but will probably add a simply tilt & swivel though I might add a smaller Bogen-Manfrotto Ballhead.



The one thing I do not care for but got used to is the twist lock legs vs. lever-flip leg lock/adjustments. It takes a bit to get the hang of the twist. Though as I have hand problems I might end up selling this one because it could get rough for me to turn them tightly enough to engage the lock securely enough. Not a short coming as when properly locked in place everything is fine and solid.



If you need a high-end build quality of a carbon fiber monopod this is an EXCELLENT option.



EDIT (05/02/2009): I have now been using this monopod for about a year. It has been a true work horse and never failed a single time. I decided to add a simple Manfrotto tilt-swivel head with an RC2 quick release adapter module, since the tilt-swivel just seemed more practical for use on a monopod. I also still use mine as a walking stick when the camera is not mounted on it. I would not put my whole weight on it, but it's great for helping with balance when needed, you know since somehow I seem to be a tad 'rounder" than I used-ta-was. ;) Vanguard ELITE-CP324 Lightweight Professional Carbon Fiber Monopod

I could not be happier with this monopod. It's truly an exceptional value. It has every feature one could want on a monopod--carbon fiber, large foam grip, belt/backpack hook, wrist strap, extra-large twist locks, and the best rubber foot (with built-in spike) I have ever seen on a monopod. Even comes with a handy little wrench tool. It's lightweight but as sturdy as a lamp post. I checked out other monopods in my local camera store, and the only similar model cost $205. I mounted a Bogen/Manfrotto 234 tilt head and added a Really Right Stuff QR clamp and L-plate to create a super camera support for my DSLR. The free Amazon shipping was icing on the cake!

I made the move from Manfrotto to Vanguard and love this monopod. It is carbon fiber which makes it very light to carry and it is strong enough to keep my camera and 70-200 lens steady on the sidelines. I really like the swiveling base that can be used for flat surfaces or as a spike on uneven terrain. It is easy to use and carry. Definitely recommend this product.

I had a Bogen Manfretto monopod fail and got no satisfaction, not even a reply (!) from them when I asked for their help. As a result I decided that while I was at it I would buy a lightweight but sturdy replacement even if I would have to spend more.



This Vanguard monopod is built like a tank - very sturdy yet surprisingly lightweight. In addition it has superior screw-type (twist) lock that is far less likely to self destruct and ruin a trip's shoots as did the previous one. Although it's not cheap, it is a good investment.

I did not purchase my monopod at Amazon, but I do a lot of shopping at Amazon. I rely on these reviews for helping me make good decisions. I bought this directly from Vanguard through a special program for employees of camera stores. The quality seems to be very high. The monopod is very light in weight and has some great design touches. For example, in the third photo above, you can see an imbedded conversion screw from 1/4" to 3/8" It stays out of the way but is there if you need it. I am generally not a fan of twist leg locks, preferring levers, but these are well designed -- kind of a barrel shape with ribs that are easy to grip and turn, and the locks seem very sturdy. The carbon leg sections seem very strong and stiff. I got the SHB-250 head from Vanguard to go with the monopod. Check out the Vanguard ball heads -- very good quality and price. This particular head has a quick release plate, and it came with an extra QR plate! Haven't seen that before. Check this out as a great value.

I have been using a Bogen monopod for almost 20 years and this was a big change for me. It is very light and sturdy. I love the foot. You can screw it out and you have a spike on the base that grabs the ground, or you can twit it down and the have a foot that sits on the ground. For the price this is hard to beat.

Great monopod light weight carbon fiber construction, but very strong and steady when set up. Easy to tighten and loosen segements when expanding or colapsing. I really apppreciate the swivel foot that can be sscrewed in to reveal a spike when various surfaces need it. It holds my Nikon D90 and a really heavy 70-200 f2.8 VR lens. Comes with handy wrist strap attached to further help you steady you equipment. It comes with a handy clip on tool holder for adjustments of if needed I as need. Works for both 1/4 & 3/8" threads.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Photography Equipment Photography Equipment Photography Equipment