Saturday 27 December 2008

Knife-setting Jigs - planer accessories, woodworking


I have a Delta planer and have been dreading changing the blades, but after a couple of nicks, there was no more putting it off. I found a web site by John Lucas that showed him using the mini-planer pals to change the blades on a very similar planer to mine. The Delta instruction manual was a little skimpy on detail, but those pictures gave me the confidence I needed. Between the pix and the planer pal, I had my blades changed in about 20 minutes, start-to-finish. I was able to get the blades perfectly aligned the first time. Without the planer pal, that planer might still be in pieces. If they charged twice as much, it would still be worth every penny. If you have a planer, you really need this product! Woodstock W1226 Mini-Planer Pal, Pair

I purchased this product because I was not pleased using the device provided with my Delta planer. This device makes it so much easier to align the blades and only takes a couple of minutes to properly align the blades. I expect I will also be able to use this on my 6" jointer when I replace those blades.

I was dreading pulling the knives out of my Delta portable planer but the cut quality was just too rough. After considering buying another copy of the Delta knife setting jig that came with the planer (the original was lost) I decided to try this little Planer Pal as it was cheaper and well reviewed. I am SO glad I tried the Planer Pal. It took all of 5 minutes to get my knives set perfectly with this great little tool. I found it to be well made and cleverly designed. It is actually 2 tough little plastic brackets with 4 positioning magnets that hold it to the cutterhead while a 5th magnet holds the knife at the correct depth. One bracket goes at each end of the cutterhead with a locating pin that positions each Pal correctly in the knife slot. The bolt heads are easily accessible so you can cinch them down while the Pals hold the knife in place. It takes less time to do than it does to write about it. I won't be at all hesitant to sharpen my knives from now on, knowing I have this little gem handy to set them perfectly.

I bought these to use with my Delta shopmaster tp305. THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH THIS PLANER. The way the cutter head is set up, the planer pals are useless. I gave them a good review because I have used them with other planers and they have always worked great.

Fast, accurate, easy to use. Took only about 15 minutes to change blades with these. The blade setting jig that came with my Delta planer is a joke, inaccurate, will not stay in position. The mini planer pals stayed put and holds the blade very securely.

I also have a Delta planer( with lost setting fixture for the blades) that desperately needed to have the blades changed. I got this product, and very quickly and reliably was able to reinstall a set of blades. It is very carefully designed to allow you to place new blades in the cutterhead ACCURATELY. I would highly recommend this product. The only misgiving I have about it is that one of the magnets came out of the fixture on first use, but I pressed it back into place and continued to do the blade installation. - Woodworking - Planer Accessories'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information