Monday 28 September 2009

Camera Filters - lens filter, camera filters


These are advertised as multi coated, but they are not. Not that one would expect good multi coated filters at that low a price point. Under normal lighting conditions the filter works fine, but at low light conditions the reflective nature of this filter (due to poor multi coating) potentially ruins the picture.



I wish it was not advertised as multi coated. Zeikos ZE-FLK52 52mm Multi-Coated 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD)

For the cost, these filters do a great job. I don't own really expensive filters, but I know quality when I see it. Each filter consists of metal ring construction. The UV haze is glass, and I believe the circular polarizer filter is glass, and the florescent filter is plastic. Each filter installs on each of my lenses easily and seem to work great. I did loan the CPL to a friend who used it on a Canon telephoto. She found that with that filter on that lens the photos were out of focus. She was shooting mid to late afternoon outside so perhaps with that filter it was throwing off some settings in the camera. I've used them on manual and auto lenses without encountering that problem. Get them, especially if you're a budget-conscious buyer.

Based on some of the positive reviews here, I bought this 52mm kit from amazom.com. Big mistake. I tested the CPL filter on my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (on a Nikon D90). The base reference was my Tiffen UV filter. I took about 20 pics of varying turns of the CPL filter and ALL the pics were worse off than the ones taken with the Tiffen UV filter. The pics were blurred and reddish. I have another CPL (of a different brand) on my wide-angle zoom and that was a fantastic CPL filter. The sad part about this is I also ordered a set of 67mm Zeikos filters from amazon.com before this review. Those have not yet arrived. I'm hoping that the 67mm is better. I'll post my review once I get those.



But as far as this 52mm kit, forget it. Save the $ and move on to another brand.



2010-08-09 UPDATE: I received and tested my 67mm Zeikos CPL filter on my Nikkor 18-105mm lens. Pics were slightly better than those with the 52mm. But neither kit is acceptable. I'm returning the 67mm kit too.

The previous reviewer pretty much said it all. However, I really don't think that you can blame missed focus on these filters. In any event, my Sony a350 focuses just the same with or without the filters.

When I got my first slr these were the filters I bought. I suppose they are fine for starters since they are ridiculously inexpensive. When I got them I only had a vague idea of what a polarizer is supposed to do and I really didnt know the difference between my polarizer and a more expensive polarizer. As I learned more, I discovered that this polarizer barely does its job. Im still not sure how to use the florescent filter. It pretty much just makes everything purple, but maybe Im doing something wrong. The only filter I use now is the uv filter. I keep it on my lens all the time to protect it. Many photographers say that you shouldnt use uv filters because all they do is put more glass between the you and the subject which gives more opportunity for glare. If they want to give me a few hundred bucks, then sure. However I cant afford to ruin my lens. Anyway, the uv filter does its job and the polarizer helped me further my knowledge so I do not regret purchasing these.

Good packaging and came with a case. UV and CPL are the ones I used. Not sure if I will ever end up using the FLD. I wish this was a combination of UV, CPL and ND instead of what it is currently. The results from the CPL were good. UV does not do much other than protecting the lens from stray contact and dust. FLD is pretty much useless. Additionally the threads on these are not the best so they squeak a little bit while screwing them on to the lens. Feels like you are forcing them on. Not sure if they are multi-coated. Well they are definitely not multi-coated if multi-coating and multi-reflective-coating were the same thing.

You are better of buying a separate UV and a CPL which would cost just about the same given the useless FLD in the kit and poor quality threads.

I'm using these with a Panasonic GH1 lens (45-200mm). They all work great, and the pictures don't lose any sharpness. The polarizing lens works correctly when you rotate it. Even if you don't need the filters, use the UV filter for a protector. Great buy, pick these up.

This filter set is rather decent for how little it costs! It's great to have these three kinds of filters so you can play with them, and it's a really great price. Buying just the UV filter alone costs half as much as this set of three.



NOTE: THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH YOUR CANON XSI KIT LENS (You probably need 58mm filters). - 52mm - Lens Filter - Camera Filters - Camera Filter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information