Friday 25 September 2009

Computer Backback - swissgear, backpacking


I chose this backpack to carry my new laptop and to replace a regular old backpack that I carry my things to work in every day. My decision was based primarily on it selling for 67% off and that it seemed like it would be big enough for my laptop. I've got a 17.3" Asus gaming laptop so it's really long and also pretty thick. This is a great bag, especially for the price and the only reason I gave only 4 stars is because it is a very tight fit for my laptop. Due to the side-access design, inserting/removing the computer is much harder than it might be if it just slid in from the top or opened up all the way. Once the computer is inside it is hard to zip up and I have to pull and stretch the edge as I bring the zipper around the corner of the laptop or the zipper pull will drag against it. Once zipped up the top corner of the laptop really pushes out hard against the zipper and I hope that after a lot of use it doesn't bust through and ruin the zipper in that spot. If I'm lucky the bag itself may stretch a little and give a little more slack. Don't get me wrong this is still a pretty large bag; if it was even just 1/2 inch taller it would be perfect.



Once the laptop is inside, the whole bag can open up like a clamshell and there is a "ScanSmart" plastic window that looks into the laptop compartment. This is supposed to be a feature that makes it easy for TSA screeners to screen your laptop at the airport. Since nothing else sits behind the laptop, by opening the bag like a clamshell it leaves the laptop side all alone without your other pockets full of stuff obscuring the x-ray image. However, as far as I knew the TSA requires all laptops to be completely removed anyway so your mileage may vary with this feature. There are several other pockets with a lot of good storage space for things like folders, pens, keys or other computer accessories. There is a dedicated MP3 player pocket inside with a little hole to push headphones through that I think will come in really handy. The TWO water bottle holders on the sides are stretchy elastic and my extra wide 32oz. bottle fits in easily. The back of the pack and the shoulder straps are both pretty cushy and there is a small elastic band on the back of the strap to hold your sunglasses if you want. The materials throughout all appear very sturdy and feel substantial. There's also a sturdy handle on the top of the bag to pick it up by or carry that way if you choose.



TL;DR version:

Should easily fit mainstream 17-inch laptops but is pretty tight for larger gaming type laptops. If you have an 18-inch don't even bother. This is probably the best laptop backpack on Amazon at this time especially for the low price. Tons of sweet storage options and well constructed; not cheaply made. Looks cool too. SwissGear SA1908 ScanSmart Backpack in Black

This bag is perfect for 17.4" laptops. Actually it reduces weight on your shoulder due it's air-flow technology. This bag is big enough to put college books or business documens. I also keep cooling hub and external hard drive in it. This is perfect for great deal. Thanks amazon.

I own a 16.4" Sony VAIO FW Series and it fits snugly into the laptop section of the backpack. It should fit most 17" laptops as advertised, but I can't guarantee that because my VAIO has 16:9 aspect ratio display, which makes the laptop dimensions a little narrower and longer. Comes with a strap that holds the laptop in place. It's made of strong material on the outside; however, the material used to separate the different sections of the backpack could be stronger. The color is totally black, unlike the picture shown on Amazon's page which seems a little lighter. Zippers used are pretty strong, would be great if the front zippers were the same. Back portion has lots of padding. However, it would be nice if the shoulder straps had a little more cushion. The backpack is very light, which is a good thing as most laptops add a lot of weight to the backpack. Has an interesting window design that shows the laptop when the backpack's laid open. I would've taken one star away for the material used to partition the different section of the backpack, if not for the 5 year limited warranty it comes with. For the price I'm paying for ($39.99), it's a great buy. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a laptop backpack that supports larger laptops.

Even at full price, this backpack is worth the money. It's great for students, with a high textbook capacity, and the padded shoulder straps and back make it so comfortable to carry. Best backpack I've ever seen.

I was a little worried I'd have a hard time finding a practical bag that fit my somewhat unwieldy 17" MacBook Pro, but it fits perfectly in this wonderfully constructed backpack. I wanted a bag that could double as a travel and gym bag and decided on this one based on the great reviews and price ($59.99 a few weeks before Christmas). Even after reading so many good reviews, it has surpassed my expectations.



When I first got it, I thought it would only be good for carrying my laptop and a few accessories in the front pockets since the main part of the bag is the "Scan Smart" section, which is meant to be completely unzipped and laid out flat for airport scanners (which means you can't put much in that section aside from a few small accessories in the pouch. See the above pictures.) However, I was really impressed with the amount of stuff I could fit in the other three pockets! I can easily carry a pair of running shoes, gym clothes, travel toiletries (a quart-sized Ziploc bag full of 3oz travel toiletries fits perfectly in the smallest pocket), a bag of groceries and more without it looking like it's about to explode. The bag distributes the weight beautifully (the 17" MacBook Pro isn't light) and the cushions and "Airflow" section on the back give it a great feel. The iPod pouch in the third pocket with the headphone hole is a cool touch as well as the sunglasses hook on the left strap and side pockets--perfect for cords and phone chargers.



It's got a great look to it too. At 26, I began to feel a little self-conscious wearing the same Jansport backpack I had in high school so this is a welcome replacement. Highly recommended! - Computer Backback - 17 Inch Laptop Backpack - Swissgear - Backpacking'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information