Tuesday 14 June 2011

Electric String Trimmer - cordless weed whacker, cordless trimmer


The B&D NST 2118 is easy to assemble and works as advertised. I have about 500 feet of flower bed trimming, which this trimmer is able to accomplish (vertically and horizontally) using two batteries. The first battery gives me about 20 minutes of actual run time; the second allows me to finish the job with power to spare. I do not run the trimmer continuously, as it is better to let it (and me) rest and cool a bit from time to time.



When I plan to use the trimmer, I charge one battery the day before and the other the night before. There is no problem leaving the battery in the charger beyond the charge time; I just get a trickle charge after it is fully charged. I also do not need to run the battery down before charging, as it does not have memory cells.



I use a volt meter to test the battery after a few hours of charging. When the meter reads 20 volts, I consider it charged. All cells will have a surface charge and read a bit higher right after recharging. Occasionally the green light is still on when the battery is charged to 20 volts. This is normal.



A lot of people complain about battery run time. I have many linear feet of grass to trim and can finish this task with two batteries. If I couldn't, I would use a gas-powered trimmer.



All in all, I am very satisfied with this trimmer and the supplied batteries. I realize that batteries can be fickle and mine could lose their effectiveness sooner than the 2-3 years of predicted lifetime. Such are the chances one takes with battery-powered tools. Black & Decker NST2118 12-Inch 18-Volt Ni-Cd Cordless Electric GrassHog String Trimmer/Edger

I bought this trimmer because I had a Black & Decker that operated like this one, but it was not cordless. I love the Idea of not having a cord.The saleman told me that the batteries would last thirty to forty five minutes. I did what the instrustions said and charged the batteries and did just light weedeating,down the driveway and started down the side of the house. It wasn't long the battery was dead. I changed the battery. I looked at my watch and continued weedeating. The Battery only lasted ten minutes. I loaded it back in the box and returned it to the store where I bought it.I got the electric model and love it even if I do have to use a drop cord. The battery opperated model would have been fantastic if the battery had lasted like I was told by the saleman. I hope this will help someone with their decission on which Trimmer/Eder to buy.

This product works exactly as described. I bought one six years ago and worked it to death. It finally died this morning and I am ordering a replacement of the exact same machine. The batteries held their charge and I was able to use the two batteries to weed eat, edge and finally use the companion blower to blow off the porches and driveway on one charge on only the two batteries. Changing the line is easy peasy. Snap out the old cartridge and snap in the new one. This machine works great.

I have two 3/4 acre yards to cut/maintain (not at the same time) and i seriously doubt anyone is getting 20-30 minutes of continues run time. I feel that I am proficient at trimming/edging,no back and forth swinging, pull the trigger, drop and go. That being said I have light/moderate grass and was surprised how much I got done in 13 minutes. A 40ftx140ft perimeter for the house, 3 trees, 30ft driveway (one side), 20ftx24ft work shop and a 40ft fence line (both sides). with the 2nd battery I was able to cut my front ditch (3ftx160ft) with thick grass(10 minute run time). No edging, so that left the 3rd battery for touch up.



The second yard is more difficult and is mostly edging and thick grass with fallen dried Palm tree leaves mixed in year round. 1st battery trimmed the 80ftx80ftx80ft shrub/tree line (13 minutes). 2nd battery trimmed two sides of a 40ftx160ft house and around a large rooted Oak tree and 2ftx10ft patch by the mailbox (13 minutes). again, 3rd battery for touch up



Now for the edging. this is a first for the second property, so the St.Augustine was badly overgrown. Needless to say it took 3 batteries the first day and 3 the second day to finish. Each battery lasted 7 minutes, but I was impressed that the motor never bogged or choked down. The only issue was having to lift the trimmer up so the string could get cut by the auto-feed. 3 weeks later, touch up work used only 2 batteries. This time for 13 minutes each.



Batteries seem to run 100% up to the 13 minutes before loosing it strength to cut, but I don't run them dead. In a months time, I've cycled these batteries 5 times, and the run time is the same and charge time is still 9 hours. I research this before hand, so I new the risks, from reading other reviews from other brands, 10-15 minutes seems to be the norm. For $106 OTD and a free battery (3 total) it gets the job done and am very impressed with it. the only minor negative is IMO a 3rd battery is a must. It also seems most of the weight is at the battery end and holding the trigger and carrying it, gets my forearm tired by the time I'm finished especially when having to use all 3 batteries consecutively. Within the 30 day return policy, I feel I have tested this trimmer pretty well and plan on keeping it.

I can no longer handle the standard trimmer with all the cord. By the time I got it all unwound to get to the back of the yard I was too tired to use it and then all that winding the cord around the arm leads to almost fainting. This is a Godsend. It is light enough for me to swing it back and forth and it does a great job. No tapping to keep the sting advancing. The battery lasts about 20 min and that is all I last and in fact am allowed to work in yard. Getting the 2 batteries is great.



My only problem was putting it together The black shield was hard to get in place by myself but I finally did. I got a pack of the pre rolled string which is quite handy when they empty I will keep them wound with less expensive by the big pack thread. I am still on the original. I have used it quite a bit and even to cut down foot high grass so the yard can dry to be mowed.



Great product. I have now ordered the hedge trimmer that is 18v, no more cutting the electric cord. - Cordless Lawn Tools - Cordless Weed Whacker - Cordless String Trimmer - Cordless Trimmer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information