Tuesday 14 June 2011

Watch To Consider - luminox watch, dive watch


My wife and son bought me a luminox water resistant watch for christmas one year.It was a fairly expensive watch and I was happy with it for two years.At that time I was stepping aboard my boat when the pin holding the band fell out. I caught the watch just before it hit the salt water where it would have been lost forever. It might as well have been. I replaced the pin and it happened again. I took the watch to the jewelry store and was told that the watch could not be fixed as the stainless pins had worn out the rubber where the ends of the pins seat. The name Navy Seals suggests that this is one tough watch which it is not. Stainless pins must have a metal seat. Luminox Men's 3901 Original Navy SEAL Dive Watch

This is my 2nd Luminox watch the first one I wore in the Marine Corps. These watches hold up very well in my opinion. I was always low crawling and running through the mud and my first Luminox to this day does not have a single scratch on the crystal. I bought a new one only because I wanted a black face. If you want a good watch that will take a beating then get one of these.

First, let it be said that Amazon and the contracted seller, Dexclusive, are awesome! No fault there at all!

I bought the watch because of the tritium markings, combined with Swiss quality. We do a lot of night operations, and the tritium on the numbers and hands (even the second hand) are perfect! Bright enough that you can see the time at a glance in ANY condition without having to push a "light" button, but not so much as to give away a position. No question, exactly what I've bee looking for.

The first thing I noticed was an occasional catch when I was resetting the date or time. The second thing was that I was doing this reset at least twice a week. Not for a few seconds off. It might be 3 or 4 minutes, it has skipped hours before! Had the battery changed 3 times just to be sure, same result. This has gone on for 6 months. Thirdly, the SEALS I knew back in my Navy days would not have allowed their insignia on this thing. A tactical watch that erratically skips time?! Guess I'll try Smith & Wesson.



UPDATE: 7/25/10- After 4 attempts by a watch maker to repair my Luminox, it not only stops during date change, but upon resetting, the minute hand has gotten totally out of sync with the hour. (hour hand right on with minute hand around the ten til position) A SERIOUS waste of money. You're better off with a $20 Casio with a "light" button. Couldn't figure out how to give a "zero stars" rating. The guys in the Teams need to consider getting their name and logo off of this thing.

I bought this watch because a metal allergy sent me looking for a band with no metal at all. This watch is really light weight, and I never know that I am wearing it. I dropped it into my dogs water bowl and immediately fished it out, well I rinsed it off and let it dry out and it's been fine. At night the glowing hash marks show up clearly in all situations and that is really nice. Overall if you like what you see buy it. This watch does everything that they say it does and well.

I am a watch hound, I have over 20 watches in my collection everyting from Omega to Ball and all in between.

I have owned a Luminox 3900 series for over 7 years now, and will say this is the best everyday watch I have ever owned. I work in Law Enforcement and spend a lot of time boarding foregin vessels at sea in the Gulf of Mexico. I am also a diver and have been down to 40 feet several times with this watch and never had a problem.

I have replaced the battery once and the watch band once (after my boxer tried to eat my watch, no scratches on the face or case.)

Great watch for the money, I wish I would have known about these watches when I was in the Navy.

I ordered this watch Saturday and i got it in the mail today.Fast shipping, I should of got it tomorrow.I gave it 4 stars because when i got it there was a tiny dent,nothing big though.This product is worth it but some other people said that when they went in the water with it on and got salt water in it,you are supposed to clean it so no salt water gets in the watch. It says it in the Manual. It's well worth $171 total. I am going to Basic training at Fort Knox Kentucky so I need a good watch.

I am a bit of a watch dork and own several diving watches. I read the good and bad of this watch and figured i'd give it a fair shake and bought it as a graduation gift for my son, who is on his way to hawaii for college and needed a nice diving/water sports watch. This this is very light, made of composite materials and feels like you are not wearing anything. While it claims to be water resistant to 200 meters, it started fogging up just wearing it around and had water in it after a shower. the back has four screws that hold it down instead of using a screw down case like finer dive watches. after taking it to a watch repair place locally, they told me the case had a small crack that was only visible under magnification. I contacted the seller and they told me that they take pictures of all their watches for "security reasons", that they don't sell damaged watches, and that they would charge me to fix or replace it, even though I contacted them well under the warranty period. This is a cheap product with an expensive price tag and a company that has horrible customer service. I should have stuck with Seiko!!!

Ive read a bunch of reviews on here that their luminox watches don't like water and are not rugged. maybe theirs a bad batch or something else. i bought mine at a local px when i was in the army. not sure what model exactly but it reads 3000/3900 series on the back bezel. Ive had the watch over 5 years now with the same battery and its pretty much the only watch i will wear. i did two 15 month tours over in the sandbox and you cant imagine the amount of hell i have put this thing through. its been through sand storms, tools falling on it, thrown around, caked with mud, etc, etc. its seen numerous times in the water, diving or just playing around. i haven't gone more than 60ft diving with it yet so i cant vouch for any deeper. but its the best watch Ive ever own.



PROS:

- a watches weight is important to me. this is one of the lightest ones Ive ever owned. it just feels natural on my wrist.

- looks it just looks good. its not flashy, it doesn't stand out.

- rugged its more than earned its money with me. (Ive personally tested it out-slamming it down, submerging it for hours at a time)

- battery i had to replace the battery about two years ago. but that was just precautions of me for a big trip.

- watch band- listen do your self a favor and get the nylon Velcro strap. the others suck but this one is the most comfortable band and the most durable. i have replaced it once cause the Velcro started falling and peeling off( 120 degree weather, sand, water, everything else.





CONS:

- original rubber band sucks get the Velcro one.

-the face piece (plastic) it does have a 2 small scratches from the years of abuse wish it was a little bit more scratch resistance though - Luminox Watch - Dive Watch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • dive watch
  • ,
  • luminox watch