Monday 6 June 2011

Nike Plus - running, fitness


I bought the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, at the Apple Store on a whim, thinking I could just slip the sensor under my shoelaces. This worked for a while, but was less than elegant. The sensor would slip around and, once in a while, find its way out, even after switching the way I tied my shoes to "zipper Lacing" (look it up).



A good friend recommended I give this pouch a try. At less than $10, there was really no reason not to.



The pouch itself is clearly finely made, with durable, elastic materials and a night tight fit.



As for accurasy, initial reports were less accurate than when I had it inside my shoe. So I put a little thought and testing into it, and now it's working flawlessly!



Things to keep in mind when using the pouch:



1) Make sure the sensor is inserted correctly (so it's oriented right-way-up when attached).

2) Place it as far down your laces as you can. The closer to your toes, the flatter the top of your shoe, which makes for more accurate readings.

3) MAKE SURE that it's TIGHTLY attached to your laces. The sensor works by measuring the amount of force you step with, which is measured as shock. If it's just floppin' around on there, much of the shock will be absorbed, resulting in incorrect measurements. Really crank it down when velcro'ing it on, as though it's a part of your shoe, and you'll get the best results.



And the best part? I don't have to buy new, expensive shoes to house the transmitter! =D Marware Sportsuit Sensor Case for Nike + iPod Sport Kit for iPod nano 3G (Black)

I've run with the Marware Sportsuit Sensor Case for several months during my marathon training, and it is absolutely the best sensor pouch I have ever used. I've run with five different pouches, one of which I made. With some pouches, you are required to lace the pouch direct on to your shoes. This type of system absolutely secures your sensor, but if you are using a single sensor with multiple pairs of shoes, this it is not a practical approach. I've used other pouches that were clip-on or use similar Velcro strapping systems, but the clip-on I used wore my laces out prematurely, and the other Velcro systems did not hold well. My other observation of other pouches were that they were oversized. I bought pouches that claim to be Nike+ sensor adaptor pouches, but they looked more like a key pouch.



The Marware Sportsuit Sensor Case is a snug fit with the Nike+ sensor. The Velcro surface area is more than adequate to secure the pouch. The method of folding the sensor pouch back over itself helps keep the pouch where you install it, and works with the Velcro, not against it. Installing and uninstalling the pouch takes seconds. Without recalibrating the sensor, I get the exact same results with this pouch as receive when I run with a Nike+ shoe.



I've since given away or thrown out all of my other sensor pouches. This one is a keeper.

I suspect those that are having major accuracy issues, may have the sensor oriented upside down in the pouch. The logo side should be down when placed in the pouch, which will orient it upward when the pouch is folded over on your shoe laces. I also found that the more laces I wrapped it around (the tighter it is to the foot) the more accurate it seemed.

This iPod sensor holder looks so much better on my shoes than the huge Shoe Wallet I was using before. The only problem is that when I used it, my accuracy rate fell into an unacceptable range. I did a three mile run and it only registered 1.5 miles. I tried recalibrating, but the iPod couldn't read the sensor enough to register that I had gone ANY distance, much less 400 meters.



The second I put the sensor back into the Shoe Wallet, my accuracy rate was right back to normal. The Sport Sensor is gathering dust in a drawer now...

After reading the above reviews, I was careful and followed the instructions on placing the sensor in the pouch. I got the same reading as when the sensor was in my shoe. So, I for one, am happy with this product because I don't have to buy the 100 dollar Nike shoes to use it.

I use the sensor case with a pair of Asics Kayanos and I absolutely love it! The sensor fits in the case snugly, and I have no concerns whatsoever about the sensor falling off, incurring damage or getting lost. Like another reviewer said, keep it as far down on the laces as possible and make sure its velcroed on tightly for most accurate results.



(As a side note to this, even calibrated, my sport kit has never been 100% accurate, and this is just the nature of the device. It measures impact, so if your stride changes a little, or the sensor's not on tight, your sport kit might be a little off. Mine is always very close, which is as much as I think you can ask for.)



The only negative about the sensor case is that, when left on the shoe, it does make it just a wee bit harder to tighten the bottom laces, which is important for both running comfort and accurate metrics. I can't take any stars off for that, however. It's only a little extra effort to work the laces with the case on, and it's easy enough to take off, if needed. Overall, the reward of using the sport kit with my Kayanos is more than worth it! - Ipod Accessories - Fitness - Ipod Nano - Running'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information