Saturday 4 June 2011

Oil Filters


This is a good filter, however it is identical to K&N's oil filters with two exceptions: K&N has a 1" nut at the end to ease removal without special tools, and the colour: K&N is white, Mobil 1 is black. These filters are made in the same factory, have identical factory "dot matrix ink" printing on them for their codes. The reviews for K&N filters are usually great, so there's no reason not to give this filter anything different. I have used this filter on my 2009 Subaru Forester, but I prefer the K&N's easy removal one inch nut for my car, as it's too difficult to get any other kind of tool in the tight spot where the filter's located.

So, if the nut is needed to help remove the filter, go with K&N, if not, it's your choice. Mobil 1 M1-108 Extended Performance Oil Filter, Pack of 2

Had been using this filter on my 2009 WRX until I noticed during my most recent oil change that the filter was defective. Looking inside the filter there are small louvers which the oil has to travel through. On my filter I noticed that the louvers were not thoroughly punctured which would cause the oil to not pass through effectively. I will not be using this filter again due to poor manufacturing quality. Also the Subaru WRX requires a filter with the correct bypass pressure which only the factory filter provides.

I use these with Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance. Those are what I have used for my car for the past 5 years and have put 60k miles on my car with no break downs yet. The only time my car has broken down was the transmission LITERALLY exploded while cruising on the interstate. I have an 03 Nissan Maxima 3.5L w/ automatic transmission. I only change my oil once a year with these. No I'm not crazy. 3k miles between oil changes is out dated with newer oils. The bonus is that the oil and filter cost about $50 dollars and I save a lot of time over changing it 4 times a year. Add up the costs of the traditional oil and filters and it will probably come to about $50 dollars a year but I have less down time with my car and superior engine protection. Another bonus is the environmental factor which is nice but the money for benefit and time ratio is the main reason I use these. I recommend for any car with low miles you plan on keeping. 200k miles is my goal for my car.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Oil Filters Oil Filters Oil Filters