Saturday 4 June 2011

Do It Yourself - do it yourself, budget


In The Frugal Woodturner, author Ernie Conover goes over some basic information on tool selection and making your own tools and various mounts and holders. Lots of very good photos and illustrations are included to help you along as well.



It shows lots of traditional and perfectly good (and cheap) options for holding wood on the lathe that won't break the budget like many of the fancy new chucks, tools and gizmos in the stores these days can.



There are some areas where I wished he'd dove into a little more detail but, after all, we're being frugal in this endeavor. Right? The Frugal Woodturner: Make and Modify All the Tools and Equipment You Need

I tend to go all out when I try something new. When I started woodturning I bought a lot of well recommended crap I never really used. I wish this book was around then. It shows lots of perfectly good and cheap options for holding wood on the lathe. Lots of very good photos as well,

I have been a woodturner for about 3 years. I have lots of different equipment, but I've always tried to make my own. This book gave me ideas, suggestions, hints as to how to enhance what I have by not having to buy tooling.



It is well worth the price of the book because if you take just one idea from it, you will get your money back.



For example, the different types of chucks shown to make, you can't go out and buy....great time saver instead of having to reinvent the wheel.



In my opinion, this book will benefit those just starting out in turning, but if you have just a little bit of experience and are wanting to enhance your turning experience by having just the right tool for a specific job, then this book should be in your library.

For any wood turner who is tired of spending $100s on jigs and tools, this is the book for you! Ernie Conover has written an enjoyable book that provides valuable tips on creating jigs and tools for the cost-conscious woodworker. Making just one of the aids described by Conover will more than pay for this book!

This is a hard book to rate. The subtitle is how to make and modify tools. On making chisels he spends about 2 pages on heating and bending screwdrivers without a mention why one would need bent. Lots of discussion on why a bunch of equipment is not needed other an expensive lathe.



It is enjoyable read since it is written well, but it is short on actual info to make much for the lathe.



All in all, I would say the book is worth the ~$20 it cost, but it contains nothing of use to an experienced woodturner.

Wow, this is a super resource. It covers every area I was looking for information on. I am a jig maker too and this books showed me a bunch of new things I can build and use in my shop. Highly recommend.

I am a beginning woodturnner and this book has a lot of very good information on the basic of wood turning. Being able to construct some of your own tools helps with the expense.



The book is worth the cost. - Budget - Hand - Frugal - Do It Yourself'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information