Friday 3 June 2011

Interconnects - easy transfer cable, interconnects


The built-in software of the Windows 7 "Driverless" Data Transfer Cable makes transferring files from one computer to another an almost pleasurable task !!!

I've used other file transfer cables before, and the software that comes with those other cables is often confusing and/or doesn't work at all !!

The Windows 7 "Driverless" file transfer system makes those other methods obsolete !!

Oh yeah -- it works with Windows Vista and Win XP, too !!

It even has a ceramic ferrite doohickey on the cable to reduce interference during file transfers -- a nice touch !!

I'm an old geezer (72) and I'd bet the ranch that even a cave-dweller could become an instant geek by using this terrific gizmo !!

Well, not quite -- but you get the drift, right !??

Get one -- it's cheap, easy to use, and saves a lot of monkeyin' around !!

My cable arrived promptly and in perfect condition -- Thanks, Amazon.com !! Windows 7 Driverless Data Transfer Cable

Whenever I copied or moved huge files from one of our computers to another, I had to use an intermediate storage media (external drive, flash drive etc.). I found this cable that promised direct data transfers between USB ports. I connected this cable between my Dell laptop running on Vista and my Acer Netbook on Windows XP. The built in file browser software popped up on both machines and I was able to transfer files between the units easily.



I purchased a usb extension cable in case I need to cover a greater distance between machines.



Update 03/10/2011 : I'm having problems using this with my Vista 64 desktop. I've tried it with XP, Vista 32 and Windows 7 without problems. I also noticed that the item pictured in this latest product page is not the same as the one I bought, so perhaps it's an update and hopefully will solve the Vista 64 problem.

I have tried other USB transfer devices and software packages over the years including recently and never got any of them to work reliably at high speed so was skeptical upon reading other positive reviews on this device. Reviews on other devices that use the same chip were also positive so I bought this one as it was at a good price.



Summary of experience:



The unit was shipped quickly and arrived in good condition, nothing special about that.



After glancing over the brief manual, I plugged one USB male connector into my laptop , the other into a 8 foot USB extension cable, and it into a USB port on a desktop located in the adjoining room.



A window popped up on the desktop as per the manual asking for permission to run the Superlink.exe software. >click> and the program loaded up quickly to display a Windows explorer like interface.



A window did not pop up on the laptop... the manual advised clicking Start>My Computer> Superlink Drive.

That worked and the superlink explorer window opened showing 'Connected Computer' and 'This Computer' panels.



The icons at the top showed the connection was at USB 2.0 speed level. Dimmed buttons showed USB 1.0 which obviously would show up if so connected.



To test devise, I selected a 3.56 GB iso image file to test sustained bandwidth. USB 2.0 is spec'd at 480 Mbps but I figured the connection would be much slower due to overhead, etc. The file transferred in 4 minutes and 24 seconds which is as close to the full USB 2.0 spec as anyone could expect.



Conclusion: while I can't report on long term reliability, others have reported no problems in that regard. I can highly recommend the device.. its much faster than 100 Mbps Ethernet and about half as fast as 1 GB but is far easier to work with, travel.



A caveat: this device presents a security risk for enterprise and government organizations. They may want to set up security so attached devices require a password to install or run drivers and embedded applications. Its just too easy for anyone to connect a laptop or two computers and transfer files.

I've worked ~ 20 years in corporate IT and I found this to be a pretty cool product (it is scary how well it works and bypasses windows security)



But copying many Gigabytes of data I found it slower than if I had used an external USB hard drive to pass data between computers, even when that means you are effectively copying it twice. Tested with Windows 7 on both machines.



But that would not stop me from ordering it again: I hope they are in stock soon because I think they would make great birthday or Christmas presents.



Note: This item is the same feature set as the Tornado File Transfer cable tool, though I did not do a speed test vs Tornado.

This cable takes the guess work out of trying to transfer files between two computers. I no longer have to spend unnecessary time trying to figure out how to get on someone's network or fiddle around with crossover cabling. Also lifts the limitation of usb flash drive capacity. Decent transfer rate and easy to use interface. - Transfer Cable - Interconnects - File Transfer - Easy Transfer Cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • file transfer
  • ,
  • interconnects
  • ,
  • easy transfer cable
  • ,
  • transfer cable