Tuesday 21 June 2011

Wafflemaker - belgian waffle maker, waffle iron


We make a large breakfast every Sunday which includes waffles. We use two waffle irons: the Village Ware Mickey Mouse Waffle Iron and this one. The Mickey Mouse one, by far, makes the better waffles, however, these usually go to the kids and my husband and I have ones from the Oster. The Oster waffle iron does not cook the waffles evenly. The top center does not cook as fast as the rest of the unit. We've tried more/less batter, thicker/runnier batter, and adjusting the temperature and nothing helps. I usually "flip" the waffle over and cook it for another 30 seconds to brown the side that didn't cook evenly. However, it's not "bad" enough to warrent buying another one. That's why I could only give it an "average" 3 star rating.



I added this as a third waffle maker. We line them up when the kids all come home with their families. I added a fourth the Waring Pro. To me the Oster is nowhere as good as my 2 old proctor silex wafflers. It is called a Belgian but the depth is only half of the others and does not cook as evenly or as crisp a result. I seldom use it. The new Waring Pro on the other hand is GREAT!!! I suggest looking at it. More money but worth it. It quickly became my favorite.

A very convenient waffle maker and the non-stick coating works great. After 3 or 4 times I noticed some sticking problems when recipes substitute oil for butter, but the recipes with butter have no problems. If something sticks then use wooden chopsticks to get it off, this works quite well as the chopsticks slide right through the waffle iron grooves and won't scratch the non-stick coating.

After reading reviews on Amazon, I decided to give this wafflemaker a try, as it looked better than anything I could find in a retail environment, for the money. Overall, I believe it is a quality product that ultimately produces really good waffles. I was disappointed with the first couple times I used it, as the waffles were not getting nearly brown enough on the darkest setting. However, I have found that if I let it heat well beyond when the ready light goes on, the waffles brown nicely.

This is the second waffle maker I've owned. The previous one (krupps) was okay, but it just stopped working one day, so I decided to go with a different brand this time, and I must say-- this model is superior. The waffles always come out crispy and delectable and I love the round shape. I've made waffles almost every weekend for the past 2 months (my roommate requests them). I usually use pancake mix mixed with vegetable oil for the batter, and I haven't had the slightest problem with them sticking, despite what some previous reviewers have stated. In fact, there's hardly anything to wipe off when I'm done, because the waffles come off so cleanly. Also, though the device doesn't have a ready light, I've found that that feature was superfluous to begin with. The waffles generally take the same exact time to cook each time, so I guage their readiness by the clock and, if I ever have any concerns about how cooked they are, I can just open the iron and peek in. It's not difficult at all. The only drawback is that you can only make one waffle at a time. But that's a small price to pay for delicious waffles!

After two years of monthly use I continue to be more than pleased with this reasonably priced waffle iron. I look at the high-end irons and love their appearance, but this solid little appliance works so well I simply can't justify replacing it with anything else. The waffles cook evenly and are crispy, every time.



And, I have never experienced a problem with the batter sticking. Follow the instructions for the first use of the iron and then there is no need to apply oil or butter ever again. I never oil or butter the iron, ever, and nothing sticks. The combination of the non-stick surface and the oil or butter contained in the recipes, In my experience, makes the additional application unnecessary.



To avoid batter seeping out the sides, I usually pour just a little bit behind the center of the iron because when closed, the lid seems to distribute the batter more forward than backward. This small adjustment results in a perfect round waffle. I use the measurement recommended in the enclosed recipe book - which as I recall is a bit less than 1/3 cup.



Some of the recipes included in the booklet have become family favorites. A particularly delicious one is the Whole Wheat Belgian Waffle recipe. The batter is started the evening before. Its special ingredient is a packet of dry yeast. The ingredients are mixed in a bowl and then placed in the refrigerator over-night. I usually make it right after dinner and then the next day's breakfast is all but prepared. In the morning the batter is light and foamy -- ready to start making waffles. This is one of the most flavorful waffle recipes I've ever had -- whole grain, yet light - with a delicious, yeasty flavor. They are very little work and the result is amazing. I usually serve with maple syrup and blueberries.



This iron is a little workhorse. Avoid using metal utensils on the non-stick surface, and the iron will last for many years. I use a microfiber cloth on the shiny chrome finish and after two years, mine still looks brand new on the outside and works perfectly, waffle after waffle. - Waffle Iron - Belgian Waffle Maker - Waffle Irons - Wafflemaker - Waffle - Oster'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information