Friday 27 March 2009

Camcorder Accessories - audio, sound


I was looking to buy this microphone for my DCR-HC90 and after reading the reviews already on here, most people seemed to either give 1 one star saying it was useless or 5 stars saying it was great, which of course I found quite frustrating.



Anyway, now that I've got one and have played around with it, I'm quite happy with it. Using the 'gun' setting on the mic really does cut down on surrounding atmos etc which is what I was after, if you're looking to film an interview, even in a relatively noisy location, this should cut down a fair bit on everything other than the person you're pointing it at.



Of course this mic won't give you a completely professional result (which I think some people were expecting) - then again, this isn't a professional microphone. It is simply meant to be a step up from using the in-built mic - and it is.



The 'zoom' function I was not overly impressed with, and don't really use it. Before I even tried it I knew it was more of a gimmick than anything. Pure and simple, you're not going to get crisp, clean audio if the mic is a long way away from the audio source, simple as that. I've been using it mainly for interviews so far where the person is no more than about 5 or so meters from the camera - in this situation the mic works fine.



In regards to the quality of the audio itself, it's pretty much the same as the in-built mic (which I actually think is quite good for a cheap camera), and with the levels of all the surrounding noise brought right down I was quite happy with it.



All in all I am quite happy with this mic and think it is pretty good for what it is and how much it costs. It is definitely an improvement from the built in microphone and if you're looking to do basic interviews or things like that, for the price I think it's pretty good.



Finally, you would want to note (and this is where I got caught out) that this is a MONO mic that will record to the left channel only. You will have to duplicate the left channel in your editing software to have it coming out of both left and right channels in your finished product.



Cheers. Sony ECM-HGZ1 Shotgun Microphone for DCR-PC55, DCR-DVD305, DVD 405, DVD 505, HDR-HC1, HC5, HDR-UX1, UX5, DCR-SR100 & SR200 Camcorders

This is a cheap shotgun mic, also known as a boom mic. Compared to a camcorder's built-in mic this mic is uni-directional, so it's less susceptible to ambient noise. The naysayers here don't like it because they don't know what to expect or how to use it properly. You need to read the manual and follow the instructions, silly. And be sure to use it on one of the listed compatible Sony camcorders (although I also got it work with a Hitachi model). The sound quality is about the same as a Sony camcorder's built-in mic -- that's why I said this is cheap -- but you imemediately notice the improvement. The trick is to point the mic's front end at the sound source. If I had more money I'd have bought a Sennheiser, but for 45 bucks, this is not bad at all.

We use our videocameras to tape preschool classrooms for observations. The hope was to use the microphone to isolate conversations.

To test the microphone. I went to a Noisy Starbucks, huge lines, moderate music and tons of conversations. I recorded on the video cameras mics, then used the zoom mic then used the gun feature. I aimed the microphone at the barista yelling out the coffee orders. In all instances, there was no difference in sound quality.

I then went to the Sony Style Store in the Mall and had her open a different Microphone and allowed her to install it. She read the package from a distance and then we listened to it in all three settings. We could not find any difference.

I checked the camera instructions and there was no setting for the external mic. Once the mic is attached and turned on, the external mic is suppose to override the on board mic.



I am still insearch for a gun mic for a digital camera. Many of the new camcorders with hard drives and DVD drives do not have a MIC input or Active Interface Shoe. I would rather want a MIC input so that I can use a more powerful mic rather than being at the mercy of Sony to create one for their shoe.



Overall, I am stuck. If I record something interesting I will probably have to try to enhance the audio portion while editing. (The camera shots great video)

Despite some of the negative reviews, I ordered this mic, based on one of the contrarian reviews that said people either didn't know how to use it, or were expecting miracles.



That review was accurate. I videotape my daughter's soccer games with a Sony DCR-HC96, and this mic is a nice complement. I use it exclusively in "Gun" mode and can make the following observations after recording 4 games:



* The sound *quality* is marginally improved. Don't expect huge improvements in fidelity .

* The *amplitude* is increased significantly. When recording from the sidelines, you can now hear the players talking to each other quite clearly, where with the built in mic, it was a strain.



So, consider the application for this mic. If you are trying to get closer to the subjects you are recording, this mic works fine. If you want to improve the fidelity of your recordings, there are probably better choices.



P.S.: This mic records in mono only. - Microphone - Sound - Audio - Camcorder Accessories'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information