Friday 27 March 2009

Ice Cube Trays - ice cube trays, rubbermaid


Bought this because I couldn't find the other Rubbermaid ice cube tray that was so well recommended here on Amazon. Couldn't be happier with them. The ice pops right out with no problem. (Our other ice cube trays...you had to really bang on them to get them out.) Rubbermaid L3-2879-R1-Peri Ice Cube Tray Set

When I first purchased a set of these trays a few months ago I thought they were great. . . . but now they have cracks in the center, and so I have to replace them again. So if they only last a few months I don't think they were a good purchase.

I'm not a fan of ice cube trays but I'm seeing reviews from people saying these things don't stack right, they don't work, etc.



I'm here to say I ordered a set and they came exactly as pictured. I took them out, washed them and tried to stack them. They stacked perfectly fine. It's important to note that you must turn the top one 180 degrees to get it to sit on the mounts on the lower tray. If you don't it doesn't stay, it nests inside the bottom one. I can't imagine this is the problem some people were reporting, but perhaps it is.



The trays do what they are supposed to, they make ice, and when it comes to emptying them I have a ice cube bin in the freezer so I take these, do a small twist to break the cubes loose and then drop them in the ice bin.



I don't see any issues that anyone could have with these... They are plastic, they make ice, they are very cheap compared to some others and they work... What else do you need or want?



I'm thinking of ordering another set or two to keep the ice bin full.

I live alone and use very little ice. Despite this, my trays completely cracked apart within less than a year of use.



Unlike other reviewers, I had no trouble getting them to stack and *liked* the thinner plastic initially because the ice cubes came out a little more easily for me--I have a joint disorder and my hands are not very strong. Once the plastic started to crack, though, it becomes impossible to get the cubes out other than by running warm water over them.



These are now recycling bin material, and I'm only buying sturdier trays from here on out.

I truly hate these trays. They take up an undue amount of space for the ice produced. They are slow to equalize water levels in the cells. The worst feature is the tendancy to "nest" while stacking the trays in the freezer. This creates an overflow only slightly less messy than the lava flows of Kiluaea. To further the agrevation the "cubes" are stubornly released, several tend to end up on my kitchen floor. It is hard to imagine a more poorly engineered consumer product.

I have used these ice cube trays before and I love them. They make a a nice sized cube that isn't too large but also isn't one of those tiny cubes. Each tray makes 16 cubes. Other reviewers have complained that the trays sink into each other when stacked. This is not true, if you stack them properly. Each tray has a plus sign and a minus sign on each end. When stacking the trays you must stack them plus to minus or vice versa so that they trays are opposite to each other. This way they will not stick together. Also if you don't over fill the trays you will need very little twisting effort to break the cubes free. In fact a small child could do it. Over filling and then twisting really hard is what causes plastic trays of this type to crack prematurely. I had these trays for more years than I can remember before even the first minor crack appeared. And even after they cracked I was still able to use them for years after that. I would highly recommend these trays. You wont have to replace them for many many years. - Ice Cube Trays - Blue - Rubbermaid - Kitchen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information