Tuesday 31 March 2009

Kindle Covers - kindle 3 cover, e-book cases


My husband has an M-Edge cover for his older version Kindle and it was so great that I immediately pre-ordered the same type of cover for my Latest Generation Kindle. I received my Kindle before the cover became available and despite a few meanwhile scratches on my Kindle, it was worth the wait.



The cover is such great quality and really feels like real leather. The finish is nice and not at all cheap. The inside is a great faux-suede and the straps that hold the Kindle are not at all flimsy. The difference between this cover and the cover for the other Kindle version, is that this does not have those hooks in the binding that snap into the Kindle. This is great since some people had complained about those clasps damaging their Kindle (although my husband has had no issue with them).



Another great feature with this cover is that the binding is more flexible and for those of you that like to bend the front behind, this allows you to do that without damaging anything. The cover is slightly padded which provides great protection and a quality look.



Like I said before, I waited several weeks for this specific cover to become available because I was not as impressed with the others. And, comparatively, you can't beat the price! M-Edge GO! Kindle Jacket, Purple (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)

Who cares if this cover is not made with leather! Yes, it's expensive but if you want a nice looking cover to protect your device, this cover works great! Fits the K3 perfectly! I feel safe that the Kindle will not fall out using the four-point mounting system. I am glad this cover does not use a hinge, I don't want my Kindle to potentially crack because of the case. Hopefully the cover holds up well, so far I really like it! When I travel, I want to be sure the kindle is extra protected so I place it in the Case Logic Nylon Kindle Sleeve (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle), Black. Very snug with the M-Edge cover on but it works great!

I originally purchased the Amazon (non-lighted) Kindle cover which has been the subject of much concern that it is causing damage to the Kindle. Not wanting to risk my new toy, I returned the Amazon cover and purchased this one instead.



It sounds obvious, but before buying a cover please give some thought to how you will use the cover and what "features" you need (or don't need). In my case, I travel by air frequently and was looking for an inexpensive, basic cover, without a light, lightweight and compact. The M-Edge Go meets all of my requirements (my wife on the other hand will throw her Kindle into the Pandora's box that is her purse and needs additional padding and a fully enclosed case).



The cover fits the Kindle like a glove and I particularly like that the Kindle is attached at all 4 corners instead of just two points (like the Amazon case). All Kindle buttons are accessible. Other reviewers have complained that the cover is not leather. Honestly it is difficult to tell and a casual observer would assume the cover is leather. The manufacturer claims that the outside cover material is durable - time (and a few international flights) will tell but my initial impressions are of a well made product.



So far, no complaints - very happy with my purchase.





Update Jan 5th 2010: I hadn't even made to an international flight and have run into a quality issue. The interior suede has come apart from the outer shell in one corner. This after less than two weeks sitting on my bedside table. To avoid the hassle of returning the item I have (hopefully) fixed it using superglue. If that doesn't work I'll return it for another. However it is very disappointing to see after such a short time. I have reduced my rating from 5 to 3 stars. I still really like the form factor and light weight.



Update Apl 24th 2010: The glue worked a treat and I have taken this cover on 20+ flights already this year. It really is holding up and looks as good as new. Still looks like a leather cover. I am feeling generous and have given the cover back a star.

I liked the way this M-edge cover looked online, and pre-ordered it. Honestly, it didn't even dawn on me that it wouldn't be leather because my 2nd gen kindle cover was leather. (Thanks George from Grand Rapids, I hadn't even realized that it wasn't real leather until I read your review!) What I do like about this cover is that it is light as a feather and I can still use the m-edge light that I had bought for my 2nd gen cover, with this cover. I really didn't want to spend another $25 bucks on a reading light.

I really like the Kindle, but still prefer to hold something that feels more like a book than a tablet. This cover fits the bill. My only disappointment was the color (fuchsia). On line it appeared more like a darker red, but in reality it is closer to pink. On the other hand, it does make the kindle easier to find. Mine has no issues with the retaining bands not holding the Kindle securely as some have reported.



PROS:



- Thin & light.

- Well constructed.

- Very comfortable to hold. If you like the feel of a hardcover book then this one's for you.

- Not leather (important for those who want to avoid animal products).



CONS:



- No pockets, but that would also make it bulkier, and the K3's battery life is so good that there is no need to routinely carry the power cord with it.

- A bit pricey. - Kindle 3 Cover - Kindle Accessory - E-book Cases - Kindle Covers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information