Saturday 28 March 2009

Rocketfish - bad, hdmi switcher


I purchased this at Bestbuy with some gift cards. I have an entertainment PC in my setup so I was a little concerened about the auto switching feature. Since I never shut the PC off...I was concerend that the auto switch would continuously switch between inputs. No problems. I've been switching back and forth between DirecTV and the PC and all is good.



I only wish there wasn't such a long delay between source switching. 5 seconds isn't a long time to wait, but I wasn't expecting any kind of delay. This is the only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. Rocketfish 1080p 4-Port HDMI Switch-Switcher w/Remote!

Wow, this unit rocks. I purchased the same unit at Best Buy for $90.00. Once I noticed this unit was for sale on Amazon for $15.00 + shipping I bought this new A.S.A.P. No problems as of yet, works great with the remote. I have my T.V. , my Verizon HD Fios box and my Sony Blue-Ray hooked into this unit. The quality looks great. I had a Trek prior and it went after a few years. At least w/the Rocketfish you have the option to turn it off, the Trex always stayed on.

Always check around before buying overpriced items at BB.

This HDMI switcher can be an incredible product. Especially for the cost. I'm able to have more than one HDMI component connected to my TV even though my TV only allows for one HDMI. I love that!



However, from time to time, the switching can be less than perfect. The color will sometimes be off on the screen or it output sound. It is easily remedied by either turning the switcher off & on or switching between inputs or simply adjusting the cables going into the switcher. But this doesn't happen frequently enough to make me not like the product.



At a fraction of what other switchers cost, this was definitely worth the money spent.

I was going to buy this item at best buy for $99, but decided to check on amazon and got it really cheap. This Rocketfish HDMI Switch works perfect with no problems. This item is really easy to use just plug all devices and turn on and that's it, once you turn on another device it will switch to new device, once you turn it off it will switch to the next device turned on. You can also change device manually by pressing the button, or you can use the remote to change devices.

We bought this switch at Best Buy only because we had a gift card. We have a 50" Samsung DLP TV model HL-P5085W which is at least 6 years old and it was probably built way before that. Over the years we have added several components with HDMI, so we decided to get a HDMI switcher so we can utilize the best picture quality possible for all our components. We have a 3 Series Tivo, Samsung Blu-ray player, PS3, and Slingbox that all use HDMI. Plus a Pioneer receiver which also has HDMI. We hooked up the switch to the TV and were having issues right away. No picture with premium channels on Tivo, no picture with PS3 and we would get the Samsung Blu-ray screen, but nothing after that. On the Tivo we got a message about HDMI connection not permitted. This has to do with HDCP which you can read about here [...]

We tried a lot of suggested fixes we saw online, but nothing was working. So we decided to take our 32" Samsung LCD TV from the bedroom and hook it up to the switcher. So far everything is working. So we can only assume the TV itself is the issue. Not the switch or what's connected to it. It's supposedly a handshake issue with this HDCP thing which is causing a lot of unnecessary viewing issues. It looks like we will need a new TV in order to make this work. Do we want a newer, bigger TV? Of course we do! I was just hoping our current TV would fail making it the reason for a new TV. Unfortunately for us, this Samsung TV has performed flawlessly with the exception of needing a new bulb which was expected. Yes, I can just unplug each thing and directly connect it to the TV when I want to use it, but at some point, I want it to be easier then that.



You may read a lot of negative things about the Rocketfish switch, but I think the issue may be the device it's connected to more then the switch itself.



Cheers

This is a tremendous value, it replaced and older Terk unit after the addition of my Apple TV.

This unit handled the HDCP handshake perfectly and i now run a PS3, a Sony 400 disk BD changer, and the Apple TV through it.

I found the discrete codes in HEX format on an AVS forum for programming into my RTI remote.



I can highly recommend one, they are great and do as advertised

I have an older Panasonic HDTV that only has 1 HD connection, and way more than 1 HD device. At less than $50, this product does the job better than units costing 4x more that friends have used. It was simple to install, and the built-in logic that auto-switches when a new device is connected almost makes the remote obsolete. I just put my DirecTV HD-DVR in the first slot, PS3 in second, etc. and it all works perfectly. Combined with my Logitech 880 Harmony remote, it makes watching HD on my older TV simple for me and my family/friends. This product is a no-brainer for folks trying to get more life out of your older HDTV. - 1080p - Bad - Hdmi - Hdmi Switcher'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • hdmi switcher
  • ,
  • bad
  • ,
  • 1080p
  • ,
  • hdmi