Thursday 26 March 2009

D Batteries - battery, alkaline batteries


Old Review: These bateries seem to be seconds or rejects from the manufaturer.



I purchased two 12-packs of these "D" cell batteries. When I received them I opened both sealed packages and found at least half of the batteries in each pack were dented on the sides near the tops or bottoms and others were scratched. They all have expiration dates of DEC 2017, measured above 1.6 volts and don't seem to be leaking, so they might be just fine. I reported the problem to Amazon so maybe you won't have the same experience.



New Review: I decided to buy some more of these batteries, and this time they were perfect. Even the ones I received before, which were physically damaged on the outside, have worked very well and lasted a long time. I changed the rating from 3 to 5 stars. Rayovac ALD-12 UltraPRO Alkaline D Batteries, 12-Pack

I tried to use a mag light that didn't work and when I opened it up, I found the batteries had corroded dreadfully. It took treating with mild soda water to remove the batteries at which point, I found that I had damaged the reflector in the process. The batteries were Rayovac Dec 2016.



A second mag light worked but I could only remove one battery due to corrosion. Again Rayovac Dec 2016. Their warranty requires sending the original packaging and the original receipt. Really, who keeps those things around for small purchases?



Update: I heard back from Ray-O-Vac via email and per their instructions, mailed the damaged flashlights with batteries included. I was pleasantly surprised to receive later a check to cover the cost of replacement. Then, a couple weeks later another package arrived with replacement batteries.



I am pleased with their efforts to reconcile the issue and must conclude that i must have bought a defective set of batteries.

I like this package because it is sturdy and a very good way to store your unused batteries. Most other batteries have flimsy packaging that starts falling apart or becoming unstable for the remaining batteries as soon as you remove a few.



The last time I researched the topic several years ago Rayovac alkalines were found to be of about the same quality as Duracell. Obviously they don't spend as much money on advertising, which may explain why they are less expensive.

After a recent evening power outage that lasted several hours, I decided to better prepare myself by purchasing some backup lighting. Along with three of these Dorcy 41-1016 Indoor/Outdoor Table Lamp, Colors May Vary I purchased a 12-pack of the D batteries required to equip the three lamps.



Turned out to be a good combination at a reasonable cost. The power went out again last week and I had plenty of long-lasting light to read by. These batteries seem to be just as good as the more expensive Alkalines at a fraction of the price.

I was in line at S/n/F Thursday afternoon needing some D size for an automatic trash can. I looked down and saw 2 packs for $6.50 ea. and I need 4 batteries. When I got home I found this 12 pack for $13 on Amazon and immediately ordered them and had them on Saturday morning at my door with Amazon Prime. Such a deal.



Rayovacs are better the other two major brands just cheaper. I use AA & AAA rechargeables on all my electronic and led lights. They last for years.

Good value, was nice to have in the plastic case. I take these camping for use in my portable Sirius boombox, and the lot lasts all weekend. Don't know if other brands would be the same, these are the only batteries I've ever put in it, and I am not disappointed.

I haven't bought D cells in a long time but found myself in need of some thanks to an upcoming baby. The baby swing and mobile above the crib both required D cells. These seem to work fine and are a decent price, [...]

I was very pleased to find these batteries at a great price. I use them to power my Pelican 2360 for duty use and seem to last a bit longer that duracell or engergizers. Rayovac Ultra line is the only brand a major oil refinery selected as its vendor. The contractor pack helps keep them in secure and in order. - Camping - Battery - Alkaline Batteries'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information