Friday 27 March 2009

Fitness Watches


I'm a backpacker trekking the globe several times a year. I wanted to get an economically priced sports watch that would help me with a few things:



Alarm - so I don't miss flights in foreign countries

Local time - for whichever country I'm in

Multiple global time zones - for when hopping from one country to another

Water resistance - for those lazy, or sporty, days in tropical waters

Low price point - so if I get mugged as I did in Bogota, it wouldn't totally ruin my day.



I did the usual searches on Amazon: sports watch, travel watch, etc. Did not see this watch, and almost bought another watch that I did not quite like. And then this one appeared under a "People who looked at this, also looked at these" suggestion.



Bam. Exactly what I wanted. Now that I've received the watch, I tried doing a search for this watch to help other readers in their searches.



If you do:

Watches > Sport Watches > Casio > Prime Eligible > Under $50

It'll appear as #73 (today) ! And that's just looking at Casios. Forget about if you were looking at the entire database of sports watches under $50.



It does all the things laid out in my objectives. The alarm can be a daily alarm or a one-time alarm. I like that, since the one time alarm will disable itself.



Cool features:



1. You can set the LOCAL time for your country/city (or wherever you happen to be) under T-1.

Then you can choose to store 3 other cities/countries, and it will automatically show the time for those selections saved under T-2, T-3 and T-4.



The watch can show the current time in 48 cities (31 time zones) around the world, and you can easily scroll through all the zones and set any city as T1, T2, T3, T4.



For example, I live in California and will be traveling to Asia in a few days, and have currently set LA as my T-1. I have chosen Hongkong, Bangkok, and Delhi as my T2-4, and it automatically shows me the time for those cities by pressing a button. Time zones are calculated on the UTC format - Universal Time Coordinated - so you'll always have the right world time anywhere.



Time Swapping: When I get to HongKong, I'll make it my T1 because I want to be on local time (simply by first selecting T2 which is my current HongKong setting, and then pressing 2 buttons simultaneously to convert HongKong to T1. It then makes LA my T2. You get the drift). Similarly, when I'm in Thailand, I'll make BKK (Bangkok time zone) my T1.



The map is cool, as it shades the time zone you are viewing.



2. The digital display shows you the time, day and date. The analog display (circle) shows the time as if in an analog watch.



3. It has the usual sports watch features: stopwatch, countdown timer.





I would have given the watch 5 stars if:



1. It had looked even cooler: they should have made the face (or base background) white instead of gray. Then things would have stood out more, and the watch would have looked classier as well. The picture makes the face look bright and almost bluish white. Far from it! It's a dull, boring gray. When in a room with the shades shut during the day, it can be hard to read the time since the black digits are hard to see against the dark background. Casio, please stop photoshopping your product images.



2. The analog hands in the little analog cirlce were not black. They are and they blend in with the '+' sign that delineates the quadrants, when at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions. They should have made the hands red or something. Go for broke...colors should pop.



Conclusion:

Overall, a cool, and light, traveler's watch for only $24, but with a gray face color. Or go with some nice ones in the $40-60 range. Casio Men's AE1000W-1BVCF Silver-Tone and Black Digital Sport Watch

An excellent watch for people who do sports or who travel. As it can resist up to 10 atmospheres and 100 meters (about 330 feet) water resistance. You can wear this watch during rain, windsurfing, swimming and other instances.



I personally like this watch, because it looks great (especially with this world map). Plus there is also an analog dial screen for those who like analog screens. The watch has 5 alarms, stopwatch, and world time (which is an excellent tool for travelers or people who have relatives or friends in other countries). An the last, this watch is very light weight, so after some time you will not even notice if it is on your arm.



Overall, this is a great watch, I give it an A+.

Great deal on this watch. $20 is great! I was looking for a cheapo watch with a stopwatch that I could use at the gym when I'm running on the treadmill. I saw another Casio and was going to go for that but I saw this one in my local retailer, where I paid about $6 more than what it goes for here on Amazon.



After looking at it, I decided I liked it enough to pay the difference.



Pros.



-5 Alarms! 5! You can set them to go off once or daily. Awesome!

-Local time for over 35 cities across the world, plus an easy to change feature that makes any of them local time at the press of a button. (The ability to change home time at the touch of a buttom....awesome. Will come in handy when I travel to the west coast later in the spring.)

-Countdown with anything between 24 hours and 1 minute.

- Stopwatch with dual finish split time for measuring two finishes.

- Date accounts for leap years and built in month changes up to 2099.

- Breathable strap and lightweight design.

-Water Resistant up to 100M



Cons.



- Would have liked to see the backlight illuminate the whole screen when the button is pressed, as other cheaper Casios and Timex watches do. Small thing to nit pick at as you can change the light from one second to three seconds to conserve battery life.

- Have to manually change DST. Not a big deal to change twice a year but still. Would be better if it had it built in, but again, a small thing to gripe about.





The bottom line. This is a great watch for the price for anyone who's looking for a sports watch, world time watch, watch with multiple alarms or even someone just looking for a digital watch. It's a nice looking design, lightweight and to be honest, with the features it has, I'd imagine it could be even $10-15 more.



Pick one up. You won't regret it.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Fitness Watches Fitness Watches Fitness Watches