Tuesday 28 July 2009

Complete Home Theater - htib, sony


Overall, this is a great system. The sound is fantastic; the setup was easy, and nearly six months after I bought it, things are still working quite nicely.



Other reviewers have done a good job describing the product -- the one thing I wanted to touch on was the "wireless" aspect. The only wires this system does not have that other "wired" systems do are the ones that run from the receiver unit to the back speakers. The IR devices (one in front, one in back, which you have flexibility in positioning) transmits the signal from the receiver to the back speakers. One of your rear speakers will need to be plugged into a power outlet (because of its powered amplifier -- which, unlike other systems, allows the rear speakers to be as clear and powerful as the front ones), and you'll need to run a speaker wire (provided, of course) between the two rear speakers.



BOTTOM LINE: If you're trying to reduce clutter, this system may not be as wireless as you're hoping for (between the power cords for the IR receiver/transmitter, speaker wire between the rear speakers, plus all the normal wires save the ones running from front to back). BUT, if you don't want to run cable through your walls or have speaker wire running from the front to back of your room; then these are a great option that I would strongly recommend. Sony DAV-FX100W Wireless Home Theater Dream System

It's about time that (relatively) affordable wireless home theater systems have started becoming available. As someone who's never been thrilled by running wires across the living room--or even worse, under carpet or through walls--to the rear speakers, this system really was a dream come true. I chose the Sony system over others on the market because it sends infrared rather than RF signals to the rear speakers. Other RF-wireless systems use the same crowded 2.4GHz frequency band shared by Wi-Fi networks, cordless telephones, and microwaves, so the IR technology really cuts down on interference if you (like me) have a wireless home network.



The sound from this setup is great for an HTIB, and I haven't noticed that the wireless aspect of the system degrades rear-speaker sound quality at all. An earlier reviewer complained about the low-end power (or lack thereof) of the non-powered subwoofer, but I've actually noticed the opposite--sometimes the bass actually seems a litte *too* powerful.



My only two complaints aren't major and are to be expected, given the type of system this is. First, even though the system offers an HDMI output (quite rare among HTIB's, for the most part), it only offers two composite (yellow, red, white) A/V inputs. There are, however, both optical and coaxial digital audio inputs. Also, as another reviewer has noted, the slot-loading disc changer takes quite awhile to switch between discs, and the proper method for inserting and switching discs takes a little while to perfect. Overall, however, these are minor gripes which are to be expected from a "lifestyle"-type HTIB.

I started searching for wireless surround speakers due to the configuration of my apartment. A wired solution simply would not work due to the location of my couch and the distance from my TV. After searching for a while, there were only a couple options available: the Sony DAV-FX100W, a system by Panasonic that had an optional wireless option, and a wireless receiver kit made by Kenwood. After looking at reviews of all of the different options, the Sony DAV-FX100W appeared like the best choice. I'm very happy with that decision. DVDs look great on my HDTV with the 1080i upscaling feature. Be forewarned, if you wish to use this feature you will need to purchase a very expensive HDMI cable and your TV will need to be support it. I bought a 3ft Belkin cable (instead of Monster) and it was still over $100. DVDs also sound terrific; the surround is impressive for a wireless solution. Like any stereo, it is important to adjust to levels for each speaker, and I pumped up the surround speakers a little as well as the center channel. The subwoofer, as others have stated, is pretty powerful for a passive speaker. There could be more depth to the sound, however, it is an out of the box solution and I think it sounds good enough as long as the standard output is kept at it's default sound level. Others have complained that CDs don't sound good; I disagree. I've played several CDs and I think they sound great. I also input my iPod through the Video1 audio inputs, and that sounds pretty great too. Again, like any receive, you'll need to play with the settings and audio fields to enhance the sound to your liking. Overall, I'm very happy with this system.

My old DAV990 broke down after 3 years due to the heating problem apparently. It's hard to get a replacement unit minus speakers, you ended up having to replace the whole system. The sony speakers are 3 ohms so no receiver will drive them.



Anyhow, I bought the new FX100. It was easy to setup but you actually only save 1 wiring cable with the DIAT. The dvd unit is much larger than the old DAV so hopefully the heating problem went away. The upscaling to 1080 (HDMI to DVI) for my Sony plasma 42" is very good. The subwoofer is much better than the old DAV (it was awful!) I have an optical input in for my Prismiq audio streaming and it is good. I haven't got the mp3/jpg working yet. The DIAT sounds good but is not a wiring saver, you still need a power input and 1 surround speaker wire.



Overall, I am happier with this one!

Pros:

+ Easy to set up, thanks in part to the color-coded wires

+ Great sound quality

+ Plenty of features. One that I really like: The system will remember where you stop a DVD -- even if you take it out, turn off the system, or skip to another disc -- and will resume playing from that spot.

+ Wireless speakers work flawlessly, and those were a big selling point for me; no wires running from the system to the back of the room.

+ As someone who has various multi-disc collections (like "The Lord of the Rings," "The Simpsons," and "Family Guy"), I like being able to load five DVDs at once.

+ When I experienced a problem with my S-Video connection, Sony customer support helped me fix it very quickly (via e-mail, my preferred medium). Never underestimate the value of good customer support!



Cons:

- You can only play one CD at a time in random mode. That's the biggest disappointment for me. If you already have a stereo system, you probably won't care.

- Loading discs requires patience (as well as reading the manual to understand how to do it properly).

- Adjusting settings once everything is up and running isn't as intuitive as I'd like. Some settings can be tweaked via the display on your TV screen, but others require using the small LCD panel on the DreamSystem.



Bottom line:

By no means a perfect system, it's a very good one. The sound quality is pretty awesome, and the wireless speakers work without a hitch. Aside from the nuisances listed above, I am enjoying it thoroughly.



In short, if not having wires going to your back speakers is a high priority, this system should be high on your list. If you don't care about that, you should consider other systems. - Htib - Sony - Complete Home Theater'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information