Friday 31 July 2009

Directv - universal remote control, rc64


I cannot believe the number of people who don't read things before they buy. Of course this remote is not RF. The RF remote is an extra cost item when you buy a DirecTV receiver and YES the receiver is a LEASE item but they give it to you free when you sign up for service so what's the big deal. As to the remote control it works perfect and how can you beat $1.95 plus shipping? You can purchase it for $20 at Wal-Mart or from DirecTV for $15 plus shipping. At $1.95 each I bought two, one for my wife and one for me and they both work perfect. What a deal. DirecTV RC64 Universal Remote Control

Even though this item is listed on the Amazon site as a Universal RF remote, it is NOT RF capable. I spent thirty minutes trying to program it for RF before I finally called DirecTV and discovered that the RC64 is infrared only; the RC64R (the last R stands for RF) is the RF version, and that's not what is being sold here. If you need RF to work the unit in a cabinet, as I do, this remote is worthless.

I ordered this item ANTonline through Amazon. This item says it is a backlite RF reomte but what they sent was a plain RC64 that is exactly like the oem remote that comes in the box. If you really need a RC64RB which is backlite and radio operated I think you will better served to get it directly from directv for $25.00.



AMAZON was impressive taking care of this tranaction. Amazon made this right even though the shipper Antonline refused contact to deal with this issue. Nice job AMAZON!

this remote is not RF as advertised, it a plain IF and will not work if your receiver is in a cabinet. it came from Antonline. I notified Amanda, their service mgr. she asked for the upc code which i gave her that was weeks ago, so far I have heard nothing. have emailed her and am getting stoned walled. don't do business with this outfit. dshadoan

This remote is a nice compliment to my current remote for my Directv HDDVR RC23. It has larger buttons and is slightly bigger in general that the RC23 remote.

So the BAD thing is that the remote described on this page is not exactly what you will get. The remote I received is not RF capable and does not have a backlit keypad.

This was a replacement to the old one (RC32) which I had because the buttons wore off. This quickly was programmed with no issues. Excellent price at the time for this remote also. So worth it! Thanks

Look at something else if you are looking to replace your direct tv remote. Have had this for 2 months and hate it. That's why I'm here looking to purchase something else and could not resist warning others.



1. Flimsy top slide control. (First impression out of the box)

2. Too acute of an aim required. Really annoying.

3. A single pressing of a button will sometimes result in multiple button steps because you did not press the button "just right". EXTREMELY ANNOYING

4. Personal negative; I dislike how it will not sit flat. Rocks too easily.

5. Positive; better than no remote at all.

Word to the wise. Keep looking.

Had to replace 2 remotes because of the dog eating them... (and I do mean eating them, not just a couple chew marks, they were destroyed). DirectTV wanted $15 each plus shipping. I paid $6 each. Big savings, so I bought a few extra, just in case. This is the exact same model we got from the installer, works everything the same way. No instruction manual, but you can go on the All4One site & get all the codes you need to program this to work everything. Definitely worth the money!

I have two DirecTV receivers with identical looking remotes, except one is labelled RC64 and the other is labelled RC64R. Neither has an external antenna. Both work identically, except that RC64R has RF capability. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the RC64 to work when I went through the DirecTV RF setup (at the end of punching in the setup code, it tells you that if it doesn't now work as an RF remote, then you just have to use IR mode - nowhere does DirecTV tell you that some remotes aren't even capable of transmitting RF). Thankfully, I found a couple previous reviewers who noted the above difference. Otherwise, it's a decent, but not outstanding, remote. On the other hand, the RF feature of the RC64R is very useful, and it still controls my TV's volume, input and power using standard IR while controlling DirecTV receiver with RF (and RF is married to a specific receiver so it won't interfere with receivers in other rooms). - Rc64 - Remote Control - Universal Remote Control - Remote'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information