Thursday 30 July 2009

Messenger Bags - messenger bags, camera bag


The Crumpler Thirsty AL (L) is a good case for holding slightly bulkier sized electronics such as point and shoot digital cameras, cell phones, small portable hard drives, and just about anything else that one can morally fit in it.



To give you an idea, these are just some of the things that you can fit in the Thirsty Al: Two 5G iPod's; Sony memory card reader (MRW62E) with usb cable folded; Or any similar sized computer mouse (I've tried a Wacom mouse, Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0, an Apple wired Mighty Mouse, and a Logitech MX600 mouse). The dimensions listed for this product are quite accurate to use as reference.



However, keep in mind that this case isn't linear, so use the dimensions listed only as reference. The Thirsty Al is soft, flexible, and the walls are about 0.4mm to 0.5mm thick. The rear and base, however, feel twice as thick. The overall stitching and lining of the case appear to be strong. The pocket opening is slightly narrower than the body and base of the case (to help keep things from falling out and to help keep things from getting in). The Thirsty Al uses 4 patches of strong velcro. One is located on the front, main flap, and two for the loop/belt straps on the rear. The reason that there is two velcro straps (one long and one short) is that it helps further secure the case in place. The last patch of velcro can be found under the main flap where there is a small pocket about half the size of the flap where you can store memory cards and other similarly small items. I've tried a Sandisk Compact Flash memory card with its protective case and it fit perfectly.



Now about the cosmetics. Yes, the exterior is black and gunmetal colored, just like my Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home Bag (Black/Gunmetal/Oatmeal color). However, the interior lining of this Thirsty Al is an olive color, different from my 7MDH's oatmeal interior (tan color). Although I knew this beforehand, I just wanted to confirm that the interior is indeed olive colored. I would prefer an oatmeal colored interior, but it doesn't seem like Crumpler has made any Thirty Al's with the Black/Gunmetal/Oatmeal theme. I could only find photos of the Black/Gunmetal colored Thirst Al's with olive or orange colored interiors.



In any case, I wanted to expand the carrying capacity of my 7MDH bag so I purchased a pair of these Thirsty Al's and strapped them to the sides of my bag, leaving only two loops left. I currently carry a Sony memory card reader in one of my Thirsty Al's (as mentioned above), leaving the other pocket for small items such as business cards, additional memory cards, candy, pens, or anything else that I may want quick access to while out in the field. Crumpler THIRSTY AL Camera Pouch S (Dark Pink/Pink)

It's perfect for the body/lens caps, extra batteries and a lens pen that I keep in there. I'm going to get one more for other little do-dads, as well. Maybe two. This allows me to use the 7MDH instead of grabbing a bigger bag. With the loops on the side of the bag, these work and match perfectly.



One thing: don't get the idea that XL means it's large. It isn't. Just big enough for a cell phone or the stuff I mentioned. I fit one camera battery, 4 AA's and a body and lens cap. That's it. The edges of the bag itself are not covered by the top - so don't leave little tiny items in there or you could find they've migrated somewhere.



Otherwise: perfect.

These pouches are IDEAL for just about anything that fits. They come in various sized, but I only buy the XL. I first found these small pouches in a camera store in a huge bin about six or seven years ago. I bought three of them. I still own two of them -- the third was stolen together with my GPS. I use them for small point and shoot cameras, GPS, and cell phone storage. These cases last forever. The velcro sealing system last forever. I have never, ever had a problem with them. I just re-ordered two of them from Amazon (to replace the one that was stolen with the GPS in it) as I wanted a spare just in case as they are getting harder to find.



The cases are very well cushioned, and I do not hesitate to store anything fragile in them. Not sure what else to say except if you have a portable GPS, or a point & shoot camera you want to protect, get this case. These cases also have a velcro belt loop but I haven't used this feature as of yet.

Inside, the case is extremely well padded, and in the flap there is a small flat pocket for an extra memory card, or a couple of batteries.



An amazing product overall.

This is a very attractive little bag, exceptional in details and workmanship. I use it for my cell phone when running around town, just attach to my purse strap. When out shooting photos, I use to to carry extras such as blower, batteries, etc. It's rugged enough that I just add to the outside strap. It is NOT big and you should carefully review the size before ordering - the only reason I give it 4 stars. Was not quite the size I expected when mine arrived but quickly found other uses for it and it is in daily use for me. - Canon - Crumpler - Camera Bag - Messenger Bags'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information