Thursday 26 November 2009

Virtualization - windows 7, virtualization


One of the benefits of running a Mac is the ability to run our favorite OS, Snow Leopard, and have the ability to run others, such as most versions of Linux (which I've tried and don't like - sorry) and really all versions of Windows. Sure, we can use Boot Camp, which has been shipping as part of the Mac OS for some time, and simply boot Windows separately; however, most of the time it may make more sense to run Windows and OS X hand in hand. Such a time can be when we have the Mac version of Adobe's CS suite, and perhaps some Mac exclusive software, but still need to work with Windows only software, such as Visio, VIsual Studio, or SQL - just to name a few.



There are a few options, with VMware and Parallels perhaps being the most popular, and I have used both. VMware was my favorite since the first version, and I have had versions 2 and 3 as well. VMware does get the job done; however one day I ran into an issue. At work we use Microsoft's Virtual PC (for Windows), and having a Mac I had to move all the virtual images into my machine so I could work and explore at home or on the go. I was unable to move the images and use them with VMware, so I figured I would give Parallels a try and downloaded the trial version. Parallels was able to recognize and accept the images that had been used with VirtualPC without any issues. There were images that ranged from 15-80GB, the contained Windows XP, VIsta and 7, as well as Windows Server 2003 and 2008 R2 - each image containing different beta pre-release software, SharePoint 2007 Enterprise (MOSS), SharePoint 2003 (WSS), SSIS ad SSRS (SQL stuff) configurations (although some images were basic, just running Office or VIsual Studio). I was super excited to see Parallels accept every singe OS and configuration without issues, the only thing was that many of these virtual images asked to be reactivated or at times even for the product key; which was not a problem since I had all in hand.



Not only was Parallels able to recognize these images, but it also takes more advantage of the Mac's hardware, such as the GPU (graphics); therefore, resulting in better CPU performance - not really slowing down the virtual machine nor the native OS. There are times, such as conferences and training sessions, where I run Microsoft software natively in OS X, and although VMware was able to do this, it was rather slow.



VMwre and Parellels boh get the job done; however, if you're in the technology industry and need to move virtual images from computer to computer often, than Parallels would be the best choice. I have a Quad Core i7 iMac with 16GB of RAM, which is amazing (I can run multiple images at once); however I do use my 11" MacBook Air a lot since it's the best to carry around. As many know, the Air's hardware is limited due to it's portability, I can allocate 2-3GB to many of the virtual machines I put on it and still runs them better than my MacBook Pro (got replaced with a more powerful iMac and more portable Air) used to run with VMware. I know the solid state drive helps, but Parallels just takes so much more advantage of the hardware.



The only thing I dislike about Parallels is how it thinks for me when setting up a virtual environment. If not careful setting it up, it seems to assume that you want to share between the native and virtual OS - so it creates a local folder on the Mac. This can also result in using the wrong software at the time; for example, I was running WIndows 7 with Excel 2010 the other day. I saved and closed the file in WIndows, and when I double clicked it to reopen, it kept opening in Office 2011 on the Mac OS as opposed to WIndows; I just had to manually open Excel 2010 in Windows and locate the file which was in the WIndows OS - not bad, but annoying, and also embarrassing if you're presenting at the time and don't need to confuse the audience with Mac vs WIndows stuff. Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac [Old Version]

I am a recent Parallels 5.0 user. I am amazed at how much better Parallels is than Vmware and have been very happy with it so far, including the speed. I used to carry around a small Dell laptop to give demos to clients but now all I need is my Mac. Very happy. But for all you Amazon shoppers, my advice is to buy 5.0 since it's so much cheaper and you get an automatic free upgrade to 6.0. It's crazy to pay full price when you can get it for less. It's even cheaper than the $49 Parallels wanted to charge my friend for an upgrade. All in all, very happy so far with 6.0 and definitely recommend it.

Being a previous user or Parallels version 1-5, I thought it was a no-brainer to upgrade to Version 6. Boy was I wrong!!

I'm still running Windows XP, which they say they still support fully. I followed their directions to a T to do the upgrade from version 5 to 6.

As soon as the virtual machine was upgraded and Parallels Tools were installed, my mouse and keyboard stopped working.

Being an IT professional, I thought I could fix it. Wow....Not even close! After trying everything I could think of, including a Windows Repair from the boot CD, nothing would make it work. So, i called "tech support." Yes, I put that in quotes because their tech support is just plain awful! First, you have to create a case, then wait on hold for 30-40 minutes. Once your call has been routed to Bangkok, you get the privilege of talking to someone who barely speaks English. This is Tier 1 support. After going through his checklist of items, none of which I could do since I couldn't navigate in Windows, the guy ends up hanging up on me! So I called back. After another 45 minutes, the Tier 1 guy said he would transfer me to Tier 2. That transfer resulted in another hangup. Call #3, and 40 minutes later, I get to the Tier 1 department and immediately ask to be transferred to Tier 2. Hoping that Tier 2 would have a better grasp of the English language, the call goes through to another guy in Bangkok. I ask if they have anyone in the US and I'm told no. So we try for almost an hour to resolve the problem. I think Mr. Tier 2 had the same checklist as Mr. Tier 1. Finally, in his own language I hear him talking to someone else who then asks to do a remote session. Reluctantly, I do it and spend another 90 minutes with them trying to figure it out, which they don't. We generate a report and send it to them for their developers to look at. I'm told they will call back in 3-5 business days. 3 days later, we set up another remote session which lasted about 2 hours. Would you like to guess the results? Right, nothing! Another 4 days go by and we try a 3rd remote session. Still no luck, and i'm 2 weeks into the problem. Finally today I tell them to refund my money, which they are supposedly doing. I reverted back to Version 5 on the program and virtual machine that I luckily had Time Machine backing up and it's back to working as it should.

So, beware if you have Windows XP and expect the upgrade to go flawlessly. Their knowledge-base is filled with people that have had this problem now. - Mac - Virtualization - Windows 7 - Macbook'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information