Thursday 26 November 2009

Portable Vehicle Gps - tomtom, dashboard mount


I just got this new mount for my TomTom unit and I am extremely pleased. It is a huge improvement over what came with the unit. First, a lever that allows you to pull a vacuum in the suction cup for greater hold. Second, it is very adjustable allowing you to get a perfect position no matter where you choose to mount the unit. I recommend it highly.



An additional note after a little use:



I made a very slight modification and glued the round piece that attaches to my TomTom to the plate it joins with. This gives the mount even more stability but the full range of motion of the mount is maintained. ARKON TTEP115 TomTom EasyPort Windshield / Dash Mount

I just ordered the ARKON TTEP115 TomTom EasyPort Windshield / Dash Mount to replace the easy mount that came with my TomTom 540m. I ordered it because I mistakenly thought the easy mount that came with the TomTom didn't work. However, I had a suspicion that the issue may be "operator error" rather than the easy mount TomTom provided. After all, the easy mount is delivered with thousands of TomToms--why would the Dutch deliver an inferior mount? As it turned out, it was operator error. The mount that comes with TomTom GPS is rock solid--you just have to figure out how to use it. The trick is to: place the easy mount firmly on the window, give a hard turn to the left (you may hear a click) and THEN turn the locking ring to the right. You will get a rock solid, tight, etc. seal. It took me about 30 minutes to stumble upon this solution. So, I have a good backup mounting device with the ARKON TTEP115 TomTom EasyPort Windshield / Dash Mount but, the easy mount that came with my TomTom 540m DOES INDEED WORK.

The TomTom 540 is a great GPS and comes with an adequate window mount. It does not have a lot of flexibilty, but once you figure out how to mount the suction cup on angles (not just up and down) and rotate the GPS, it fits in any car.



I bought this mount so that I could leave it in my car and take the TomTom mount with me when I travel. This mount has a tremendous amount of adjustabilty, and there are no concerns about it coming off the glass.



The cruxt of the issue is the extent of the arm. Maybe the TomTom 540 is just too heavy for it, but it tends to vibrate while drivingbecause it is cantelevered out there so far. It doesn't drop or slowly lower down; in that regard the mount is strong enough. It's just a vibration issue. It's enough to make you car sick if you are trying to read data (street names, time to arrival, etc.)



If you rest the GPS against the dash, or against the A-pillar (side of the windshield), it takes out the vibration. Since it blocks your view to mount any GPS in the middle of the windshield hanging in free space, perhaps this is a non-issue. For me it is an annoyance, but there is a work around.

This product works just as described. It has never fallen off my windshield, very versatile, and is very sleek. It came fast in the mail and I'm very satisfied! If you are considering purchasing this gps holder, get it, it will be the best decision.

This mounting system is way better then the one that came with the Tom Tom.It is rock solid and does not come unstuck and fall on the floor. Tom Toms EZ Port came loose countless times before it came apart and ended up in the trash.Bought another Tom Tom mount and the same thing happened.Tom Tom could learn a lot from Arkon about what is and what is not a good mounting system.

I like nearly everything about my TomTom XXL 550T 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Lifetime Traffic Edition), except the mount. It folds flat, which is nice, but it kept loosening and falling off no matter how much I clean it, spit on it, etc. So I bought this mount, and what a world of difference. This mount is so much easier to use and holds the heavy unit solidly at any angle. We have 3 vehicles, so I keep removing it and switching it between them - it's been stuck and unstuck dozens of times and still works great.

Great product! bought two units. One for each car. Well made plastic product, with excellent suction. Used stick on base disc for eash mount. A small vibration due to weight of five inch screen on my TomTom, but nothing extreem. Easy adjustability, and secure attachment to unit. Lever suction activation is much easier than twist type found on stock mount. Very good value for the money. Looked all over for aftermarket dash mount, and was glad I found this unit...

The same mounting device has been used by TomTom for years has been a total failure. I recently purchased a TomTom XXL for myself and one for my husband. These devices are big and continue to fall off the windshield repeatedly. What a piece of junk mount the original piece is. The Arken mount is EXCELLENT. Sturdy hold and suction. TomTom needs to change the design. People shouldn't have to buy a new mount on top of the price of the GPS (though I'm glad it's available!) Who knows, maybe they're in cahoots with this company making a small fortune selling replacements! Either way, I highly recommend it if you don't feel like having your GPS come crashing down while driving on the highway. - Arkon - Tomtom - Vehicle Mounts - Dashboard Mount'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • tomtom
  • ,
  • vehicle mounts
  • ,
  • dashboard mount
  • ,
  • arkon