Friday 27 November 2009

Exercise - nike plus ipod, running


This is a great item especially for new or casual runners.



A few caveats:



1. There's an option to calibrate or not to. Calibrating will work for some, while others will receive a more accurate mileage read if you don't. Best way to check is by measuring your distance on a treadmill. That being said, give it a little wiggle room for error.



2. Try not to use it (by keeping in/on your shoe) if you aren't using it for a run you want to measure, because the battery keeps going as long as it senses movement.



3. Don't buy a used sensor - you have no idea for how long it was previously used. The battery might just die on you on your first run. A brand new, unused sensor will last a couple to several months. Mine lasted 3 months, being used 6 times a week at 2-3 mile intervals.



4. Input information! Your weight, time and date are important to review your progress and give you a better idea of calories burned. I was deliriously happy to learn that I had burned 500+ calories on a 3-mile run, only to realize later that it was because my weight had been inputted at 250lbs. :P



The great thing about this little gadget is how easy and user-friendly it is. It tracks mileage, pace, calories burned and your progress. It's simple, great for motivation and doesn't interrupt your music abruptly. And hearing someone congratulate you for your longest/fastest run is pretty fun.



All in all, definitely worth what you're paying for. NIKE + IPOD SENSOR-USA

Feeling lucky? I was when I bought this. It's a fun little gizmo. One week (four runs) later, it's a dead little gizmo. Which works out to about $5 per run. When it's working, wonderful. But a week? Really? And no, I didn't move it when I wasn't running. In fact I made a point of keeping the sensor as still as possible when not in use, have read some of the other reviews here.



The problem is, the sensor is already on by default when you receive it, so the clock on the non-replaceable, non-chargeable battery is already ticking before you even touch it. Good idea, Apple/Nike? I mean, really. Why not have it turned off by default?



Again: a non-replaceable, non-chargeable battery on a device that is highly sensitive to movement.



So. You might get lucky and get three months (as some have said) out of your sensor, and give it five stars (as I probably would have), or you might get a week (four runs!) out of it, as I did, and others have too.



One week and now it's off to the landfill. How very eco.



Get with the program, Apple/Nike.

I really love this item. I run with it every time. It plays my music for me, including setting a power song to get you through your run. It tells you your pace, distance, time, & how many calories you've burned. You can set it for a certain distance, time, or just an open workout. Also on the webpage you can join different clubs that measure your distance to achieve a set goal. It's pretty motivating. I've noticed I run more often and better because of it. While running 5k & 10k races it's great because you can see where your at & how far you have to go. I love it!



Be sure to calibrate it with a pre-measured distance.

Do not buy a used sensor!!! The nike plus system is great and easy to use but there is a great weakness in the sensor. The sensor uses a battery which is very difficult to replace. In fact, Apple and Nike suggest you buy a new one instead. Beware when buying used because there is no way of knowing how long it was used before and the battery could die very quickly.

This is the second sensor I've purchased. I used it for five 20-minute runs, and the battery is already dead. I only wear the the running shoes when I run, so I know it's not because I left the sensor in my shoe. I got slightly better battery life from the first sensor, but not much. The manual says that the default position for the sensor is "on," so I'm guessing that the shipping process and handling runs the battery down well before you even get it. Default "on" seems like a pretty stupid idea to me....please fix!!! I otherwise like the product.

What a great way to keep track of how much running I have done. I am using it with my iPhone and found once I calibrated it after 2 runs - it's been right on the mark each time. Along with the online service I find this to be motivational and I feel guilty when I miss a run. Well worth $20 in my opinion.

I love running, but I never really have the motivation to go running. And it's a hassle to track my progress through the old standard of writing it down in a book. But with the Nike+ iPod sensor it's effortless to track my running stats and try to improve my times and distances. Since I can see what kind of progress I'm making I feel more motivated to keep going. If I felt like I wasn't making any progress in my running I would probably stop. With Nike+ I can see how well I'm doing easily. It's just so great. Let me break down the aspects of Nike+ into sections for you.



Getting Started

In order to use this sensor it is advised to have shoes that are Nike+ capable. That is, they will have a little compartment under the sole of the left shoe that you can slide this little bean like sensor into. You don't have to own Nike+ running shoes. There are little pouches out there that allow you to lace it through your shoelaces and it'll keep track of things like that. But to me that seems primitive, so I went out and got some runnings shoes (my first pair of shoes dedicated to running by the way). As for accuracy, it's pretty accurate out of the box, but you can calibrate it so it will be more accurate for YOU, as apposed to the general populace.



Apple Integration

Some iPods and iPhones have the ability to detect the sensor without a dongle, and they have a Nike+ App pre installed, all you have to do is activate it. Just go to "Settings" and there should be a Nike+ option somewhere in there. I don't know how the sensor works but I don't think that it will ever run out of "battery" power because I think it is simply powered by moving around. When you are done running or walking the Nike+ app will save your running data and next time you sync your iPod or iPhone it will upload the data to the Nike+ website. You should be aware though, that it will only upload the last run you did. So if you have gone on two runs since your last sync it won't upload your previous run. It's kind of a hassle to have to sync it after every run. But it's way easier than trying to figure out how far you've run, what your best mile was, how long you've been running, etc. It's a small price to pay.



Web Product

The online Nike+ website is pretty useful. I've had difficulties with it, but that is not at all the sensors problem. The website is where you will be able to access all of your old runs and see how fast you've gone and stuff like that. It's basically your running journal. You can make notes to go with your run, like if you ate a burrito just five minutes before a run and you think that's what made you so slow, then you can record that. My only problem with the web product is that you cannot integrate a training plan with your iPod or iPhone's calendar. You have the option to chose a coaching program that will tell you how much you should run each day. But the only place you can access the information is online. You would have to write down everything it wanted you to do and whatnot.



Sorry for the long review. But I tried to fill it with relevant information. If you have any questions feel free to leave them in the comments and I'll try to get back to you. - Ipod Accessories - Nike - Nike Plus Ipod - Running'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information