Thursday 26 November 2009

Manduka Mat - yoga, manduka yoga mat


The Manduka mat is as good as everyone says it is; much sturdier and provides more support than a sticky mat; sort of like the difference between really good running shoes and spongy flip flops. The bag is good and this was a good deal on it. I wouldn't have paid full price to buy the bag separately. I did have problems with the bag's lining getting caught in the zipper initially and had to pull out my sewing kit. I probably could have returned it, but it was an easy one-time fix. All in all, satisfied. Manduka Black Mat Pro Yoga Package, Graphite, 71 Inch Mat

I read the reviews, bought the mat, took it to a heated vinyasa class. It was very slick the first time I used it. Took it home, used some simple green cleaner on it, scrubbed with a nylon brush. I allowed a couple of days for drying, and used it again with much better results. I anticipate it will get better with a little wear, and am quite satisfied with my purchase. It is quite heavy, and gives off a strong odor.

After reading all the good reviews about this mat I decided to give it a try. I practice ashtanga yoga and I was looking for something that could last a lifetime. This is what I found:

- It is more slippery than I expected. I was surprised to find out that my hands sweat more than usual while in contact with this mat's surface (I had tried the cheap mats that my gym provides and many of them are less slippery than the manduka).

- At first it had a strong rubber smell. I just left it under the sun for a couple of days and the smell diminished (I think that it will vanish completely as time goes by).

- It is heavy. I wouldn't recommend it for long distance walks (if you are walking one or two blocks with the mat, it is not a problem).

- Size is great (larger than most mats).

- Cushion is great (thick and firm).

- Corners don't roll. It behaves like a sticker on the floor. This mat has sides, so you have to turn it around to use it and then turn it again to roll it.

- Seems durable (and in most reviews it says that there are yoguis that have had this mat for more than 4 years and that it is still in great shape).



The bag is great. It is easy to put the mat in even if it is not rolled tight.

The Manduka BlackMatPRO mat is by far the very best mat that you can buy. Yes, it is quite a price jump from others, but it is money well spent. My last mat (Lululemon) started falling apart after two years of use - a disappointment, since I spent $65 on it. This mat has excellent support and traction.

My yoga instructor recommended that I wipe it down with a soft cloth with mild dishsoap and water before first using it, as it has a coating on it, which causes your hands and feet to slip.

This mat helps you get more out of your practice - the length and width of the mat also allow you to be on your mat for most poses.

An excellent investment! The only mat to buy if you are serious about your practice.



The MatSak is also amazing. There is ample space for your mat on one side, and your towel, straps, change of clothes and wallet on the other. Simply awesome.

One regular yoga mat wasn't supportive enough for me. For a while I tried two regular mats, but that was slippery, and after only a few months I could see signs of wear. I decided to invest in a quality mat. I asked a bunch of yoga teachers which mat to get, and several recommended the Manduka.



When it arrived I was skeptical--it didn't seem very cushy. But the first time I used it, I immediately noticed how much more support it provided. I left class with my wrists and ankles feeling great!



The mat does have a slippery coating on it, but that wore off after a few weeks of classes. I wiped it often with some regular yoga mat cleaner, and used a cut-off section of one old standard mat to brace my hands until the coating was gone. Now it's sticky, but not "eyeww" sticky. Just right! The surface is easy to clean--no bumpy texture to trap dirt--and it doesn't absorb the sweat that can lead to that old-sneaker aroma on standard mats.



I highly recommend getting the Mat Sak as well. It's a great bag--well made, and the ventilation holes are a good idea. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the mat is a bit heavier than some other mats, but the Sak is very helpful in that regard with a comfy strap that makes carrying your mat easy.



If you're looking for a great supportive mat that will wear a long time, Manduka's the one you want!

The Mat:

Perfectly thick

No slipping

Perfect length



The Bag:

worth getting since the mat is on the heavy side. has a great pocket for things/ accessories and it does have this mesh zipper pocket for keys and small things.



great buy... bit expensive but worth every penny

Like many other reviewers, I agree the mat is heavy, well made, with a thick durable rubber material that provides excellent cushioning. However, the surface is extremely slick even when slightly wet. Even after washing it several times, using it for almost 2 months (2x a week) and scrubbing it with sea salt as recommended in the online FAQ, it is still too slick for me. I do power yoga but I tend to sweat a lot, especially on my palms and feet so the slickness is an even bigger issue for me. If you sweat a lot like me or do styles of yoga that make you sweat, try it out first before committing to buy. My yoga instructor has this same mat but even after being worn in, it doesn't feel that much stickier than mine so I don't think it will get much better. I could get a yoga mat towel to place over it but I'd prefer to find a mat that doesn't need it rather than spend more money. I'll see if I have better luck with other yoga mat brands. Too bad because I really wanted to like this! I've heard good things about the Jade Fusion brand so will give that a try. - Manduka - Yoga - Yoga Accessories - Manduka Yoga Mat'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information