Friday 27 November 2009

Wireless Bridge - wireless n, wireless access point


I've configured the DAP-1522 as a wireless bridge to a DIR-655 (2.5Ghz). I've got a PS3 and a Satellite DVR connected to two of the four ethernet ports on the DAP-1522. I have configured the 1522 to use WPA2 security as well.



Setup was a little tricky, but it was my fault not the fault of the 1522. If you choose to manually configure the 1522 be sure you follow the directions and connect the 1522 to your computer and with your computer configured to use a static IP address in the 192.168.0/24 subnet. I mistakenly had my computer still trying to use DHCP when connecting to the bridge and it took me a little while to figure out what was wrong. My computer couldn't get an IP address and so Windows kept assigning an address from a different subnet, so I was not able to establish a connection to the DAP-1522's default 192.168.0.50 IP address.



The 1522 works as expected. Performance is very good with a max of 162Mbps through 3 drywall walls (approx 40 ft) to my entertainment center as displayed on the DIR-655 console. I haven't run any local network bandwidth tests to verify the throughput yet, but I can easily stream HD content without blocking between a PS3 and a wired media server. Previously I was using the PS3's internal 802.11g network interface, and HD media was not viewable as it overwhelmed the 11g link.



I did notice that the orientation of the DIR-655 and the DAP-1522 did make a difference in the reported signal strength and data rate as seen from the DIR-655 console. So after you've gotten things to work, don't forget to run some experiments to determine the best position for the devices to get the best performance possible. D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme 4-Port GigaBit Selectable Dual Band Draft 802.11n N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point

It might bear noting that I'm technically proficient, and I've used several access points and switches over the years. This was my first D-Link purchase in years only because Linksys's reputation has become pretty terrible. Overall, this piece of equipment is GREAT, with a HUGE caveat that the range SUCKS.



I used this router for about 3 weeks before I replaced it with the D-Link DIR-825 because of the range problem. The 1522's user interface isn't bad. I had no problem configuring this switch to do everything I wanted. I did not experience any dropped connections or dropped packets. Granted 3 weeks isn't a terribly long time - but I never had to power cycle the Access Point. It just worked and did a great job.



I should have known that since the DAP1522 uses an internal antennae the range would not be comparable to my old Linksys WRT54G. I am intentionally trying to share my wireless with my neighbors, and the DAP1522 is unusable, and I'm not exaggerating, 30 feet away. To be fair, there are 3 (non-thick, normal wood) walls between the DAP1522 and the laptop - but still 30 feet? On the other hand, this could be a major selling point. Scared that your neighbors might be stealing your wireless signal? Just buy a DAP1522!



If you have a large house or coverage area, this isn't going to cut it. But if you live in a small apartment, this thing is perfect. For anyone who needs better range, I'd recommend the slightly more expensive DIR-825.



PS For anybody who's confused - this bridge/AP is essentially a switch plus an access point. It lacks the "router" capability and WAN port that similar pieces of equipment have which make them routers. For the typical person, you only need a bridge/AP if you already have a router and want to add a wireless access point to your network.

I purchased to pair with the DIR-655 router and a DSM-750 media extender, both from Dlink. Depending on how you feel, this product could be anywhere from a 1 - 5 star item. The thing works great, which is the most important aspect to me. However, I would say that the range is less than excellent, thus a half star off for that. Another half star off because the reset button is pretty much useless. I'm taking the other star off for it being a massive pain in the butt to get it working - in bridge mode.



AP mode is easy to set up. All you have to do is set the switch to AP on the back and connect it to your router with an Ethernet cable. You should then be able to access the configuration page by typing in 192.168.0.50 in your web browser. You can then set up the wireless broadcast as you see fit (enter in an SSID in the box (different from your router for a separate broadcast) - use a static IP address, set up the IP address of your router as the gateway address, etc). You can also update the firmware.



Bridge mode is a completely different matter. Theoretically, you should be able to press the WPS button on your router and then press the button on your bridge and it will connect automatically (probably still helps to connect via Ethernet cable first so you can access the config page). Maybe that worked for some people, but it did not work for me. I tried push button connect, tried connecting using pin numbers, tried manually setting everything up, but nothing worked. I was tempted to think I had a defective unit, but it worked fine in AP mode, so I was sure the thing was functioning properly.



Here is how I configured it to make it finally work in bridge mode. First, I reset this and my router to factory defaults. I set the switch on the back to bridge mode. I connected the bridge to the router via Ethernet cable. I turned on the router and then the bridge. I set up the router as before - broadcast in 802.11n only mode, 40MHZ and WPA2 (AES encryption), which enabled me to achieve 300 mbps network speed. I then went to the config page for the bridge. On the wireless set-up, I manually set it up to match the router. I selected the static IP. I left the SSID box blank and used the site survey to select the wireless connection from my router. I then de-selected the clone MAC box. As if by magic, the stupid thing finally connected wirelessly, and i have been pleased with its performance since. I was even able to unplug it and set it up in another location, and it was still able to connect. - D-link - Wireless N - Wireless Access Point - 80211n'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • d-link
  • ,
  • wireless n
  • ,
  • wireless access point
  • ,
  • 80211n