Sunday 29 November 2009

Laptop Speaker - portable speakers, laptop speaker


I've only had this speaker for 24 hours, but I can say that so far it's been excellent. I got it for my Thinkpad T400 laptop because the internal speakers were not loud enough, and some things, like DVD movies, or watching TV from my Slingbox had really low volume. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on the laptop. I plugged in the speaker and Windows installed the driver without a hitch (no CD needed). It worked immediately thereafter. The native speakers are disabled when you plug this one in, and all the volume controls, including the hardware volume buttons on the laptop, work without change on the new speaker. If you unplug it while it's in use the native speakers take over seamlessly. The sound quality is excellent as compared to the native laptop speakers, and the volume, wow! I have the volume set at 5%, which is providing about the same volume of sound as the native T400 speakers provide at 100% volume. If I run the volume all the way up I can easily hear the sound at a comfortable level in the next room, and there is very little distortion. This speaker won't take the place of a set of powered stereo speakers; but for the price, portability, and the fact that it runs off the USB port without any other power source, you can't beat it with a stick.





Edit 10/5/2010



I found that this speaker will work with an iPad if you have the camera connector (the camera connector basically turns the dock connector into a USB port). I just plugged it into the USB port and it immediately worked, although there is no mention in the iPad documentation that you can do this. If you have both products it might be worthwhile buying the camera connector instead of a separate speaker for your iPad. Altec Lansing iML237USB ORBIT Ultra Portable USB-Powered Speaker

Prior to purchase this little USB speaker, I was using 2 desktop PC speakers for my notebook online TV viewing and listening to music. lines all around my desk between the notebook and electricity wall socket. sometimes people are tripped by the lines. Since the purchasing of this little speaker, it not only replaced all of the unnecessary lines and 2 larger sized speakers but also out performed the sound quality of my old two PC speakers. There is one thing need to be improved from the manufacturer: the instruction of sound volume control is not good and the speaker's volume is low by default setting. There is no volume control nob on the speaker and one paged instruction of two pictures doesn't give your good idea of how to solve this problem. Here is the way of how to do it: after insert USB to the computer, open Control panel classic view, double click the Sound icon, click on the Speakers USB Sound Device, then you will see the Properties at the right lower portion of the menu. Open the Properties' Levels menu you will find the USB speaker's default volume was set to lower side. Just move the volume to the highest and make sure the options of "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" are checked (which is default) under the Advance menu, then check OK and you are all set. After this setting up you will be able to adjust your speak volume from your notebook volume control or any online audio program volume control to a very high volume level.

This is my review of 3 portable, USB powered, laptop speakers I've received recently:



1. The first USB powered speaker I purchased was the ALTEC LANSING iML237USB ORBIT:



I was pleased with the sound quality of the ALTEC LANSING ORBIT. And at about $23 including shipping, you probably cannot get a better sounding USB powered speaker for the money.



2. But after a while, I wanted the convenience of having a USB powered speaker that I could attach onto the laptop. So, I asked for and received the LOGITECH Z205 for Christmas which cost about $46 including shipping:



The LOGITECH Z205 was indeed convenient as it clipped on top of the laptop. But although it sounded appreciably better than the built-in speakers on any of my laptops and netbooks, I was nonetheless underwhelmed by the sound quality. The ALTEC LANSING ORBIT sounded much better.



3. So then I read the CNET review of the more expensive LOGITECH Z305 which also clips on top of the laptop. CNET basically concluded that the LOGITECH Z305 corrected the sonic deficiencies it had found in the less expensive LOGITECH Z205 and was worth the extra $10 - $20. Based on this review, I ended up ordering the Z305 from Amazon for $49.99 including shipping -- which meant that it was only $4 more than the Z205. I received it yesterday and could not be more pleased. It sounds great -- easily the best of the 3 USB powered speakers I now have -- with decent bass, a nice open sound and good stereo separation. I would actually characterize the sound as "high fidelity". With its high sound quality and clip-on convenience, I think it's probably the best and only USB powered speaker one should get.



CONCLUSIONS: If you want good sound quality for little money, get the ALTEC LANSING ORBIT for $23. If you want high sound quality and clip-on convenience, get the LOGITECH Z305 for $50. Given these outstanding two speaker choices, I wouldn't even consider getting the LOGITECH Z205 for $46. - Portable Speakers - Orbit - Laptop Speaker - Portable Speaker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information