Monday 30 November 2009

Adhesives - henkel, pl


Wear gloves before using this, or its going to be hard to get off your hands. PL Construction adhesive is great stuff, the king of glues. It will create bonds that are probably stronger than the material you are gluing. It will stick to almost anything except some plastics (Styrofoam and ABS are the some examples, but few glues can bond these materials because of their properties.). It is weather and temperature proof. Wood, metal, masonry and rubber are just some of the materials you can marry. It is very good at bonding dissimilar materials.



The stuff kind of expands slightly into a brownish/amber colored shelled hard substance. I assume this reaction helps work the product deep in the molecular structure of what is being bonded. The product allows 30 minutes of time to adjust your work pieces, and starts curing rapidly afterward. It seems to cure on contact with air and probably moisture.



I've used this to repair my figure skates, which have held up for years. I've also glued a car window to the internal bracket, so it can obviously withstand temperature extremes and force. I would suggest scuffing glass before using this product. Cleans up with alcohol, but I wouldn't want to get it on clothes.



I'm taking a star off because of storage. Store this stuff by creating a large bubble of the product above the tube. If you don't do this you will ruin the tube. They should sell the product in smaller tubes, but even that would be difficult to store. Its inexpensive too, even if used once or twice its a good deal. Henkel 828471 PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive, 10.2-Ounce

I had a leak in my RV roof and had to tear out all of the interior as well as do roof repairs in the front end. I used an excellent roof sealant that was tested by some heavy heavy rainfalls. I needed to refurbish my inside front end and knew that I needed something that would be strong enough for RV movement. I wanted something that would "feel" like it would hang in there when I hit bumps in the road, etc.



One day after applying this adhesive I went out to check out and feel out the success to the cracks and edges that were held together by screws to the frame. I wasn't expecting much, but was hopeful that I'd have a tiny bit more security between panel boards.



My first feel between edges amazed me, it felt like I had used liquid steel to glue the areas in question. This stuff, when gluing wood panels together, is, as I have titled my review, AMAZING!

I had been looking for an adhesive to repair the waterfall in my fish pond. I had not been able to find an adhesive that was strong enough, and waterproof to hold the slate lip on the waterfall in place and level. I had tried foam based adhesive but they were not strong enough to support the slate. I read about this product in Handyman magazine on a feature they did about building a water feature. This stuff is GREAT! It cures in 24 hours and the waterfall is more secure and level than when it was first built about 10 years ago. I had been losing water from the pond because of leakage in the waterfall itself, but has stopped,since a caulked the stone on the front and sides of the waterfall. This is the strongest adhesive I have ever used, and I think there I will many more uses for it. I highly recommend this product!

This costs a bit more than Liquid Nails, but depending on its usage, may well be worth it. A small amount goes a long way and it is versatile.

It will bond metals, shingles, flashing, stone, brick, wood and more. Easy to clean from hands with alcohol; possibly soap / water too.



Sets into a hard, yet slightly flexible state when dried. The color is tan; similar to caramel.



I'd give it 5 stars, but have not yet seen how well it holds up for any extended amount of time in weather or with vibration / stress. I suspect it will be fine.



This is a great product to keep on hand for miscellaneous bonding / gluing tasks.

I use this stuff for doing molding work and basic carpentry and it is great. I only need a few nails to hold the wood in place till this stuff dries and it cuts my work filling nail holes before painting greatly. I had to remove some trim molding that I botched after it dried and it pulled a huge chunk of the drywall with it. I think it is stronger than the nails and I use it for everything. I had a faucet that was loose against the house since the screw holes for mounting we stripped out of the mortar. I just squirted this around it and now it is seriously bonded to the brick. Just don't get it on you, it won't come off. Wear gloves when dealing with it. I have also tried power grab and liquid nails, LN is pretty close to this stuff but not as good of price. - Pl - Henkel'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • pl
  • ,
  • henkel