Thursday 26 November 2009

Internet Tv - remote viewing, tv series


I have been considering the Slingbox for quite some time. I decided to go ahead and buy one when Sling Media came out with this new model.



Installation was an absolute breeze. It was so easy I was shocked! I was watching DirecTV/TIVO on my PC within 5 minutes of opening the box. I have broadband internet which is quite fast. Full screen viewing on my 20" 16:10 screen is somewhat grainy and blurry, but definitely viewable. I prefer to use about 1/3 of my screen for the viewer (SplingPlayer) and the other 2/3 for other applications. Nice sharp picture quality with this set-up! Surfing the web while watching TV is no problem. Web pages still load quickly and video is still sharp/smooth. Haven't tried to download a large file while viewing yet.



SlingPlayer is great! Choose full screen, left/right side, or adjust as you see fit. When you choose left or right side your internet browser (or whatever application you are running) will snap into place to cover the rest of your screen automatically. Very nice user interface and many skins to choose from.



No matter where you are, as long as you have an internet connection, you can watch your TV. I have Tivo which makes this device shine! I can watch my directv, watch anything that is recorded on TIVO, order pay-per-view, set up a program to record. Basically you can do anything that you can normally do with your DVR. The on screen remote control even looks identical to the real remote.



How is it different from the original Slingbox? I can't speak from actual experience since I don't own the original, but as far as the specs go there are some pros and cons.



The original Slingbox had a coax input. So you can hook up directly to analog cable or antennae. You can't do this with the SlingBox AV, but you can with the new SlingBox Tuner. The SlingBox Pro will do both analog and digital (and component HDTV).



The pros... The new SlingBox AV claims to have:



* SlingStream technology delivers up to a 400 percent video quality improvement over the original Slingbox



And the new SlingPlayer v1.4 for the Slingbox Tuner/AV/Pro provides:



* Improved video quality on the LAN: up to 4x the resolution of the previous SlingPlayer and over 200% speed improvement.*

* Adjust the SlingStream LAN video quality to match your particular computer and network conditions.

* Improved Setup Wizard: new screens are streamlined and easier to use.

* Improved Setup Wizard: direct access to customer support via real time chat. Relax and let our tech supports set up your router for you!

* AutoUpdate feature added to the Setup process ensuring users always install the latest software for their Slingbox.

* Users can rapidly cycle between Fullscreen (4:3), Widescreen (16:9), Letterbox, Windowbox and Pillarbox window modes to find the best fit for their video content.

* Full-screen improvements: If you put SlingPlayer in maximized mode it will stay there.

* Show/Hide player controls with one-click toggle. Just click once on the main player window to remove the controls when you aren't using them.

* Audio Visualizations added to Audio-Only mode. WinAmp AVS support means that users can add their own visualizations.

* Physical remote controls: SlingPlayer now works with remotes that support Microsoft Application keys. Now you can sit back and click on a real remote control to control SlingPlayer.

* SlingPlayer has a whole new look with the RedLine skin--just one more way to change the SlingPlayer to suit your tastes. With SlingCentral and other user contributed skins there are over 30 different skins available and more coming every month.



I won't miss the analog coax connection, I don't need it. If you need analog coax only then buy the SlingBox tuner. If you need both coax and digital devices then buy the SlingBox Pro (which will also give you component HDTV, but no HDMI).



On a final note, this unit is tiny. Much smaller than the original. It's about 1.5"(H) x 3.5"(D) x6.5 (W). Your gonna here some people call this thing ugly in appearance. It's not really that bad and it's so small that it can easily be hidden behind your other components or just pushed toward the back.



I'm a gadget freak and this is the coolest thing I've purchased in a long time!! Just buy one! This would make an awesome gift for anyone interested in computers and TV. Sling Media Slingbox AV (SB240-100)

There isn't, honestly, much I can add that you're not seeing in either (well written) spotlight reviews. The Slingbox is, in my opinion, every bit as impressive as its reputation led me to believe it was. There were, however, a few things I labeled as being pretty important though, that I didn't clearly understand going in. I was hoping to just clear those up for any potential customers.





1. The way this works is that Slingbox, basically, hijacks one of your cable boxes. For example, if I was to turn on the TV that my Slingbox was set up on, it's going to display whatever I'm watching. If I lived alone, this wouldn't be a big deal; but between everyone else in my house, I can't completely monopolize a TV. What I did was just attach the Slingbox to my basement TV, which they never use.



2. A connection to your home network is required. I had mistakenly thought it was optional, that you were hooking SlingBox directly to your PC (like other tuner models). Make sure you have some kind of an access point to connect to. If I was to wish for anything, I would have loved if this model came with some kind of a built-in wireless card. It would have been one less piece of equipment I had to buy.



3. Mac software is now available for download. I know a lot of us were waiting ... now the wait is over.



4. Streaming video is a monster on your internet hook-up's bandwidth, just be prepared for the slow-down if you have a lot of internet-ready devices (notebook, xBox live maybe, etc etc) running all the time. If your system has some mileage on the tires, this might be a good excuse to consider upgrading it a little bit.



Other then that, as I said, this is every bit as good as advertised. Enjoy it! - Tv Series - Slingbox Av - Internet Tv - Remote Viewing'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information