Friday 28 January 2011

Art Supplies - art, pentel


These are great markers/pens - I'm on my third set, so obviously I like them - but there are a few caveats. As a mixed media artist, I've found several reasons to be cautious of these markers if you are using them for more permanent or "fine" art purposes.



For just coloring or for kids, these are absolutely perfect. These are extremely vibrant, the ink lasts forever, they don't dry out quickly if you leave a cap off, they travel very well, the color selection is fantastic, and they are priced extremely well.



If, however, you are using them for a mixed media project - or will be using more than one technique on your project - you will run into some problems. (Then again, these aren't touted as "fine art" markers - or priced as such.) The colors are great - but filling in large spaces will be problematic because they are "streaky". They leave a very definite line with each stroke - so you will end up with a project that looks like you colored it in first grade. Secondly, altho these start out with a fantastic nib, it degrades quickly - and you wind up with a lot of little "fuzzies", fine "hairs" and the tip of the nib becomes "floppy" even tho the rest of the nib remains firm. This causes problems when trying to fill in small spaces, or writing. (Leaves a lot of tiny stray marks.)



Also, these are definitely not waterproof - or water resistant. One drop of water will destroy whatever you've colored. Since water will leave a distinct mark on the paper, I thought maybe they would work well if blended with water. I colored and then used a waterbrush and a regular brush with a little water, to try to blend the "streaks" away. NOT a good idea. You just wind up with a mess. (They aren't advertised for this use - but I thought it might work.)



The other issue with these is the color fastness. The colors fade and wash out over time. I used them in one of my moleskin journals - and several years later, the colors have disintegrated a lot. They weren't exposed to sunlight (the journal was closed and on a bookshelf) - so I don't know what the level of acidity is...but I'm guessing it's on the higher end. (Which strikes these for scrapbooks, just FYI.)



I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon - I love to use these for adding color to sketches, doodling, coloring with my kids, lending to my kids for school projects, making garage sale signs, etc. I just wouldn't use these in any of my art projects or swaps. (I live in a really dry climate and worry the color breakdown would be worse somewhere humid.) Definitely not for work that will be sold.



You won't waste money with these - they are great marker/pens for around the house...for drawing or coloring at school or using at home, these are total perfection! If, on the other hand, you are looking for a good "art marker" or "art pen", pass on these. These will be a huge disappointment - and there are much, much better options out there. Pentel Color Pen Set, Set of 36 Assorted Colors (S360-36)

I also have to agree with the other posters when saying these markers last forever. I was given some as a teen about 25 years ago and they still work great. I always knew they were superb markers, but now as a mother/teacher I realize just how wonderful they are! You will not regret buying these for sure. Honestly, they run circles around Crayola and other leading brands most people buy today.

This is a sturdy set of pens, in nice secondary packaging. I bought two sets - one for my son, the other for my daughter, they're enjoying them. I've used them to color in some pages of the kids' coloring books, and see two shortcomings. First, the amount of ink is inconsistent from pen to pen - some flow very heavy ink, others much lighter. This results in inconsistent color depth in the strokes. The second shortcoming is the color of the pen's plastic often poorly matches the color of the pen's ink. For example, what looks like a dark green pen from the color of the plastic, has ink that flows very close to black. Many other colors vary greatly from plastic to ink. When these pens need replacing, I'll try a different set for comparison.

I have purchased several brands of markers including Staedtler, OfficeMax metallic, TUL ultra fine, Bic Mark it fine point, and the Pentel Color Pen Set. Of all these brands I've used, & I have used them a lot, the Pentel brand is the worse one of the lot. When I contacted the Pentel company via their online web site to ask how I can return the whole set, since they are guaranteed, there was no response whatsoever. On the other hand, I returned one of the Bic Mark it pens for replacement & I not only received my new pen in short order they also threw in several $1 off coupons for future Bic purchases! Now, I ask, who would you do business with in the future? It's a no brainer.

I have been using these Pentel markers for more than 20 years now. Yes, I've gone through a few sets in that time. They do last nearly forever, do not dry out, and the colors are vivid and true. And when I say they don't dry out, I mean it! I travel with a set of these and a couple of weeks on the road, in and out of steaming hot vehicles in the summer, doesn't even phase these gems! A terrific buy for the money! - Art - Pentel - Marker Set - Markers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information