Wednesday 26 January 2011

Cassette Tape Recorder - cassette players, tape player


I use this for class to record lectures. I sit in the front and I pick up adequate amplification. However, if someone in the 4th through 6th row asks a question, it is a difficult to hear. During playback, I have to turn up the volume on those sections.A few things I wish I had were* a LED light signalling that I was recording. I have accidently forgotten to press the record button and just hit play. So, I have dead air.*Auto shutoff when I am recording and get to the end of the tape. It doesn't shut off and it makes this screeching (but not too loud) noise when it hits the end of the tape. Which is kind of embarrasing. i have to pay attention to where the tape is at, which you can see through the window.* It doesn't have a counter on it, so if I am taking notes, I can't write down the position I am at during the note taking.Yet, for the price, I got what I paid for. It is a decent recorder. I have no complaints, only suggestions I want to get when I upgrade to another recorder. Sony TCM-200DV Standard Cassette Voice Recorder

Wouldn't you think a product whose title reads "with Dual Power Source" would actually include the AC adapter? Not in this case, although I can order one separately.



If you in fact want the AC adapter to arrive in the same package as your cassette recorder, be sure you order the Sony TCM-210DV, which I now understand is the model I should have ordered. The TCM-210DV appears to be identical to the TCM-200DV but includes the AC adapter.



Although I don't have the AC adapter I wanted as insurance for the occasions on which I record on tape, the recorder performs just fine on battery. I use it primarily to play audiobooks from the public library, because a Walkman or other play-only motor is not powerful enough for old, worn cassettes.

This is a nice little recorder and the price is right. I got it for my folks because they wanted to be able to record my niece and nephew and because the new digital technology was a little overwhelming. This is a very sturdy little player/recorder, easy to use, and great if you still have cassettes lying around.

I am in charge of fixing the horrible distortions

that happen in converting low-sample-rate recordings of poetry

readings from a camera to MP3 (terrible kazoo buzzing noise).



I discovered that good old analog tape, via an attenuating patchcord (-60db), convert very smoothly, and the PCM/16-bit 11khz audio format even rolls off tape hiss and keeps a beautiful natural tone. Using an electret microphone outboard also gets rid of the tape machine motor noise.



Anyway, I got this TCM-200DV at Target on sale for $25 to

back up the garage-sale recorder I was using. The first

wonderful surprise was that you can plug a common

external-powered PC condenser mic straight in! Sony

says they supply the bias, and they aren't fooling.

The level is quite sensitive too; excellent for poetry

at 1-2 ft distance, so 'pops' are avoided. The sound is

brilliant, even at the half-speed. I would have gladly

traded that for a tape counter. I am worried about

how all the switches dealing with the tape speed will age,

but I'll keep the thing in a bag to avoid dust.

The 25-hr batt life is cool.

Analog recordings of speaking events are very important at this

time, since the true 24-bit//96khz PCM recorders needed to

avoid conversion distortions are still very expensive. This

recorder does a super job for voice, and is a great feed

to the PC for digital recording. If I had to make it

perfect (albeit for a little more money), I would

drop the mutlispeed, add a counter, and add a

pop-up microphone wand with mechanical isolation from

vibrations (a PC mic on folded fleece suffices now).

A side-monitor (2 earphone plugs) would be nice too.



Thanks for saving my poetry group from hellacious distant

camera audio recordings, Sony!

I got this recorder to tape rehearsals with my band. Unfortunately, it's not well suited to that purpose--both settings on the microphone are too sensitive to record such loud sounds as drums and amplified guitar. For lecture recording and other similar purposes, though, it seems like this would work really well. It's a good recorder, just not what I was looking for.

As a test, to make sure of the range, for recording a meetng, I did the following. The recorder failed completely. I turned the T.V. to a normal level. At eight feet away, the only playback was static. The recorders did not pick up the sound until I was six feet away. The only way it might be used in a meeting is if you only wanted to record one person and you placed the recorder immediately next to that speaker. Also, it does not automatically stop at the end of rewind. - Tape Player - Cassette Players - Cassette Recorder - Voice Recorder'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • cassette players
  • ,
  • tape player
  • ,
  • voice recorder
  • ,
  • cassette recorder