Thursday 27 January 2011

Battery Packs - cordless tools, milwaukee


Great battery! I bought this specifically for my job site radio (2790-20), but recently purchased a cordless sawzall and will be using it for the sawzall as well. Additionally, I have two XC batteries that came with my hammer drill (2602-22) and impact driver (2650-22). These batteries last a loooooong time for almost all applications; it seems like each battery will last for several hours doing even mid-level work. So far, the only time that the battery completely drained on me while I was working was when I used my drill to mix concrete (using an attached paddle for mixing concrete in a bucket).



As far as the weight, it's really not that bad and you get used to it quickly. I have used the 18V compact li-on batteries, which are great, but half the amperage; this battery is 2.8 amps and the compact is 1.4. Additionally, if you buy this retail at Home Depot, you're paying $120 + tax versus the $75 here. Totally worth it.



Now comes my critique. I absolutely loooooove Milwaukee, but they really should have taken a lesson from DeWalt: Their Ni-Cad and Li-On batteries are not "backwards compatible" with each other, that is, you HAVE TO USE the respective battery with its respective tool. Even worst, certain tools REQUIRE the XC M18 battery and cannot be powered by the compact M18 (for example, the cordless sawzall [2620-20]). To me, Milwaukee should have made every battery--from Ni-Cad to Li-On, and regardless of XC/compact or voltage--compatible with every tool and charger, but they didn't . . . so yeah. The good thing about purchasing this battery from the get-go is that it can be used on all of Milwaukee's M18 series tool line, whereas the compact M18 cannot.



As for charging, it's pretty reasonable. If it only has one bar left on the fuel gauge, I find that it takes anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes to charge. I called Milwaukee about leaving the battery charging overnight, and they said that it's not an issue with these batteries--a sigh of relief for those of us used to older batteries with "battery memory."



I would highly recommend this battery, but KNOW if the tool you intend to use it on is compatible with it. Again, Milwaukee's Ni-Cad tools are NOT compatible with their Li-On batteries, and vice versa. Know your line of Milwaukee cordless tools before purchasing. Milwaukee 48-11-1828 High-Capacity 18-Volt Battery Pack

I purchased a couple of these batteries with a four tool combo kit. While the tools seem to be solid and comfortable, the batteries are bit of a disappointment. Why would Milwaukee downgrade the amperage of their batteries from the V18's 3 amp to the M18's 2.6 amp? When Makita has set the benchmark @ 3 amps, it seems foolish to offer anything less. This wouldn't really bother me that much, after all it is only about 14% less, but Milwaukee went out of their way to obscure this fact. Nowhere on their website does it state the amperage for these and the battery itself only gives it's rating in watts, on the bottom in very small writing, 47 watt hours. Not a good way to treat your base who loved the V18 batteries, only to see that line discontinued. I gave it three stars because I think these batteries will probably live up to their expectations, mostly, but feel like I got tricked into buying something that's not equivalent to Makita's LXT, and that is who they are chasing after, IMH0.

I have a multi-tool M18 kit along with three of these M18 XC batteries. They've been used and abused my me and all my helpers while building a house. The tools have been dropped and kicked around at times, and I've cringed as I've watched tools fall and direct hits taken by the batteries. The little Milwaukee circular saw took a 15' plunge (a new table fixed it) and the battery had a ding indicating it had taken a hit also. I saw the drill/driver take two direct hits. To no avail. They all still lock on properly, they all work properly, they all recharge very quickly.



They've been drained to nothing, or been run for just a little bit then topped off. It seems to make no difference, as they all seem to be running tools just about the same duration after one year of use. The little 1/4" impact driver has seen an insane amount of screws, thousands of 2-1/2" torx, 5,000 1-1/2" washer heads, 250 7" torx lags, 500 5" torx lags, and on and on (that little Milwaukee impact driver is an animal). It really was shocking to see how long these batteries would run these screws before needing a charge/change. Tons of sawzall work, tons of circular saw work, tons of drill/driver work.



Only one trick to keep in mind during cold winters and subzero temperatures... The battery charger will give a blinking LED indication if the battery is too cold to recharge. This happened when we were pushing through temps around zero. We took the batteries into warmth each night when we shut down, topped them all off, so that they were all warm and raring to go in the morning. During the day we just put the battery in the charger (a warm area) and within a few minutes it was up to temperature and quickly recharging.



I really, really, value the Milwaukee M18 cordless line and batteries and recommend them wholeheartedly.

My 3-4 year old 18V compact Milwaukee drill had lost its effectiveness in the shop due to the inability of the lithium ion batteries to properly recharge. Any suspicion I had about the charger's capabilities disappeared when I removed a new,freshly charged high cap. pack and plugged it in. Whole new tool. Major power increase and sustained. I was impressed enough to buy a second one and about the same time I acquired the new 18V right angle drill. Either way this new battery packs a wallop. Down side is the weight increase.

Already had one, needed a spare. Price at the local stores was WAY more than Amazon, plus with Prime I got it next day without having to spend any time or fuel on the road! (and no standing in line either!) - Battery Packs - Milwaukee 18v Lithium-ion - Milwaukee - Cordless Tools'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information