Monday 31 January 2011

Neckstrap - neckstrap, strap


Ok, I had the Black Rapid RS4 and returned for this after I found it here. A sling strap is much better then a regular strap over a long day and you don't look like a tourist.



Differences:

+the built quality of the BR RS4 is much thicker in the padding and the strap width then this guy.

+the attachment here is unique, but the lock would probably scratch the bottom of your camera over time. I fixed this problem by buying Black Rapid FastenR-3 Third Generation for R-Strap and taking out the default fastener here.

+the strap on this one is not as long as Black Rapid, but long enough for me.



Goods:

+Less bulk on the strap and padding makes it easier to storage in my Kata KT D-3N1-20 Sling/Backpack (Black) with my camera.

+Price, price, why Black rapid charges as much as a camera bag is highway robbery.



I sling strap is one of the best design for a DSLR users in a while. At this price, its became very affordable even with the BlackRapid Fastener I got with it. I got mine from cowboystudio here. RainbowImaging Innovative High Quality Quick Release Oxford Neck Strap For Canon, Nikon, Olympus. Sony, Pentax, Panasonic , Fujifilm Digital Cameras

This is a good inexpensive knock off of the BlackRapid RS-4/RS-5/RS-7 straps.

Those are pricy at upwards of $50.



It works just like the BlackRapid straps.

It does not look as well made. The strap padding is okay for the price.

However, it does not have the "sticky" rubber / rubber feet on the bottom side to keep it tight in position. It has a soft cloth bottom which keeps it in position most of the time.



The other noticeable difference is the connector to the camera. The Black Rapid strap has a threaded connector. This one is a spring-loaded snap. But it works just fine.



The zippered pocket is ok, just a fancy feature.



Great for the price.



The delivery took a couple of weeks but that was made clear right from the start and it did arrive at the predicted time.

I got an automated email from the vendor with a link to videos/instructions for the strap but there were only videos/instructions for other products, not for the strap.

Lets just cut to it; this product works as advertised but is certainly nothing fancy. In fact the "build" quality is less than what I had hoped for. If you are the type of person that really has a taste for better quality accessories, then spend your money on the Black Rapids sling. It can be purchased here at Amazon and is eligible for Prime shipping rates. The "build" quality of that unit would have to be an improvement over the RainbowImaging unit. After all, it sells for more than three times the price. If you are like me and don't have deep pockets, but do have a need for a better solution for carrying your camera, go ahead and give the RainbowImaging unit a try.



I was going to wrap up my little review but just wanted to stress again that the quality of this strap is very low. In fact, I can't afford to replace my camera or any of my lenses for that matter so I'm very apprehensive about using this strap. Consider the quality of the strap that came packaged with your camera. This is on par (perhaps even lower) with respects to material and overall finish. If you purchase one of these, I strongly suggest that you do as I plan on doing; limit the weight of the gear you attach to it (smaller lenses, no battery grip) and tread somewhat lightly...

The title of this review says it all; however, I will add that Rainbow seems to have changed the tripod mount connector from the one in the image to one that closely resembles the Black Rapid FastenR 3rd Gen tripod mount. I consider this a good thing, and one more reason to buy this product versus the Black Rapid or Luma Loop products, which seem great, but are out of control on price for an item that amounts to 5 bucks worth of assorted off-the-shelf components. I actually ordered the FastenR along with this product, thinking that I would use it instead of the camera mount depicted in the product photo. Well, now I don't need it! In fact, this one is better that the FastenR because it has a "pass through" threading that means you don't have to remove it for tripod use! Nice! Also, I didn't realize before ordering this product that it does, in fact, come equipped with a "stopper" designed to keep the strap in position, just like the expensive Black Rapid one, and the pad also has a built in zipper pocket with a special holder for memory cards. Smaller DSLR batteries could also fit in there, and certainly extra AAs for a flash. I guess the title didn't actually say it all.



Get the product on here and spend the $40 you save on an extra battery or memory card. Or just pocket the difference.

I belong to the cult of people who is not a great fan of Canon strap (yeah, touristy!!!). I also read in a photography book about the benefits of using a sling type strap. I was slightly speculative before ordering this strap, as I looked at more expensive Black rapid camera strap first. But after reading other reviews, I thought I'll give this a shot as this is comparatively inexpensive and I could afford a wrong decision at this price :)



Today I received this strap and to say the least, its very good. The strap quality is not bad at all and it took less than a minute for me to connect this to my camera (I have a tripod base connected to my camera always and I am able to connect the tripod base to the strap now). I have a Canon 7D and this strap fits like a charm! I feel very comfortable too. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a sling-type strap.

I was a little hesitant to purchase this since there weren't many reviews. I am very glad I did. It is easy to attach and unhook. It is also very convienent to have the camera hanging at your side inside of on your chest (much easier to use). I recently used this on a cruise, having it on me one day for about 4 hours and really like how it distributed the weight. - Canon - Neckstrap - Strap - Nikon'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information