Monday 31 January 2011

Multimedia Player - usb, flash drive


I was looking for a simple & inexpensive player for a family member so they could watch various videos and digital pictures on their TV. This player did the trick. It doesn't play mkv files, but I realized that from the start & was more interested in something cheaper that would simply & mainly play AVI files. For the price of around $30, you can't beat it & it has performed well. I personally have a Western Digital & Seagate media player and they play a lot more formats as well as being able to connect to my home network via an ethernet connection, but they also cost substantially more so its all relative.



This player also doesn't have full HDMI capability (like my Seagate or WDTV have), but my family member doesn't have an HDTV anyway. Rather, they have an old "tube" TV with several RCA inputs so HDMI would be useless for their needs anyway. Again, its all relative as the price reflects its features.



I like the fact that it allows media to be played from either a SD or USB device. This gives it a little more flexibility as SD cards can be gotten for cheap these days as well as easily being able to view digital pictures since a lot of cameras use SD cards.



Another feature I like is the fact that it will resume videos when powered on. This is useful so you don't have to worry about trying to fast forward & figure out the point where you stopped watching.



As mentioned before, it does initially start up in Chinese so you have to do a few key strokes on the remote to get it to switch over to English. It would have been better if it defaulted as English, but this wasn't a deal breaker for me. Its not hard to do & once converted over to english, you are good to go for the rest of its use (unless you totally reset it).



If you are looking for a "simple" non-networkable, non-HDMI capable player that plays limited formats (no MKV) compared to other more expensive players, but for a low price, then this little device will satisfy your needs. Simple & cheap is the motto here and accomplished rather well. Micca MPlay Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC/MMC Flash Cards - Plays MPEG1/2/4, DivX, Xvid, RMVB, AVI, MOV, MP3, MP4 On All TV and HDTV

Having now worked with Jack at Micca, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed with this company. I originally left a bad review, but Jack at Micca swapped out for a new unit at their expense and this one worked very well! I think the problem with the old was just a bad cable. The updated manual can now be downloaded from their website, and that helps a lot.

it does play mp4's i had no problem playing the mp4's i made with nero recode(standard)



for those of you with non english boxes on remote hit "set" then "right arrow" then "ok" this should change to english...this is the 1st thing it says on the online manual.



i think the updated HD version plays more files and bigger resolutions (like 60 bucks) the one by asus even has ethernet port but it's more(99+ bucks)



had this unit about a week and i think it was a good purchase...cheap as a dvd player but it can do so much more. i hooked up a 1tb drive full of mp4's and it works just great. looks really good even on composite connection. i am planning to buy one for each room.

This is a very compact media player that works very well. I carried it to my brothers and to a friends IN MY POCKET to watch a movie and now they are both buying their own.I know I will be saving a lot of money not having to burn my movies on to a DVD. I put them on a Flash drive and watch them off of that. I plan to put all my movies on a portable hard drive and use it. Good Times.

This device is exactly what I needed. The price is definitely the main selling point of any electronic device to me these days, but obviously functionality and quality are close behind. I can't find a device that can really compete with this one, for my needs, without spending $70+. Most of this is just the reasons why I ordered it though.



It deserves 5 stars because it definitely lived up to all of my expectations. It showed up 4 days from ordering it, and worked right from the box. It booted right up in English, but I did have to change the output setting from NTSC Composite to HDTV for it to look good on my tv. After that 15 second setup I plugged in my hard drive, navigated through my folders to see how smooth it was, and then watched a movie. It's as simple as I want it to be, and the video looks GREAT for not even connecting with hdmi. I'm using it on a 46" flatscreen and it looks way better than any DVDs I've played on it, and I can't really afford Blurays anyway.



The one problem I had was with the remote, because it didn't seem to get good range at all. My couch isn't that far from the tv, and I'd have to walk closer to easily use the remote. For the price, I honestly didn't have a problem with that, and I'm usually too lazy to complain or write reviews. I decided I might as well send an email to customer service though when I got an email asking for feedback, and to my surprise I got an email within 5 minutes. They said it's definitely a faulty remote, and they sent me the tracking number for the new one they shipped out later that night.



While I'd definitely consider this a budget media player, that's some 5 star service, and everything else works just as expected. I've only been using it 3 weeks now, and I'm sure they'd be helpful if I had any trouble down the road. I'd definitely recommend this product, and it's the first one I've bothered to review on Amazon. - Flash Drive - Usb - Portable Media Player - Multimedia Player'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information