Thursday 29 January 2009

Body Armor - body armor, digital camera accessory


As advertised. It threads on with slight plastic threads which are destined to strip. For the price, I can live with that. The design does not allow you to flip it around to put in carrying case. I would not buy another one. Zeikos ZE-HLH58 58mm Hard Rubber Lens Hood

This product does not go on and off like some easier to use and higher end lens hoods. It must be screwed into the threaded receptacle on your lens or lens filter...and unscrewed and stored separately every time you want to remove it. Better versions snap on and off...



Also, this is made from some type of medium density thermo-formed plastic - NOT rubber. It has little or no give to it. I was disappointed with this product when it arrived.

Bought this lens hood for the standard 18-55mm lens which came with my Canon T1i SLR. The lens hood is mounted on the focus ring and therefore when auto-focus is used the hood rotates with the lens. The problem is that at the wide angel focal length the hood actually gets in the picture. This is probably not an issue with a lens above 28mm.

As others have said it screws on and the threads are somewhat delicate. I can live with that for the price. My beef is that when you attach the hood to your camera you can not attach a filter to the hood. You must attach the filter to the camera and the hood to the filter. If you use a thicker filter like a polarizer the hood blocks the edges of the photo.

My rating of this hood is based on its being available for less than 10. At that price, it provides good value...at a higher price, there are better choices.



This hood, designed to screw into 58mm filter threads, is sold on Amazon.com under several names by a variety of vendors. Most sell it for under $10, a real bargain.



This hood is a perfect match for the 36mm wide lens of my Canon S5, mounted to the Sakar Digital Concepts lens adapter. Even at the wide 36mm setting, the hood is NOT visible in the corner of the photos after it is properly aligned with the long "petal" at 12 o'clock.



Threading it on and aligning it takes time. So, I intend to leave on my S5 permanently. My 58mm lens cap snaps securely in the throat of the hood.



NOTE: a threaded hood will NOT work on cameras with filter threads that rotate when you focus. AND, it is designed for lenses that are 35mm or wider. If used with a 24mm wide lens or 28mm wide lens, you likely will see a bit of the hood in the corners of your photos.



The hood caused a shadow on the bottom of photos taken with the built-in flash of the Canon S5, so I must remove the hood for taking photos with flash.



The hood has a glossy interior surface. If the sun is in front of the lense or directly above the lense, sunlight is reflected from the long bottom "tulip" causing white "ghosts" in the photo. For that reason, I will likely use a shorter, round, soft rubber hood as my primary hood, as its design is less likely to reflect sunlight up into the lense.

I got tempted by the price and ordered one piece.Now....I really don`t remember where I throw it.

It`s a threaded hood which goes on the inside thread of the lens/filter making it very difficult to put on/remove or to rotate.

Plus @18mm (on my 18-55mm)I can see the edges in the pics...sucks.

Look for a snap on/off.....not going to recommend this one to anyone.

I bought this lens hood for my Canon Rebel XS/1000D. It does what its meant for and as described its 58mm so I can use it on both my lenses - the 18-55 & 55-250. However, it is not a perfect fit when you try to screw it onto your lens and I was worried about damaging the threads on my lens. The way around for this is to screw it to a filter first and then screw the filter to the lens since it would be cheaper to replace a damaged filter rather than replacing a damaged lens. Also, you will have to tighten/loosen the hood to get it in the position you want. It also does not come with a center-pinch lens cap, so you cant put the lens cap on the lens while the hood is on. And you can't put the hood facing back on the lens when the time comes to pack up and put the camera in the bag. Well, you get what you pay for and I guess all the hoods available within this low price range are similar. I haven't used original canon hoods so cannot compare.

was very dissappointed with this! in some of the shots if i zoomed out to far had black areas in the photo.. was really not that great for use either.. the price was the only thing good about it.. but do know that if i had seen it in person would not have bought it.. - 58mm - Digital Camera Accessory - Body Armor - Lens Accessories'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information