Monday 26 January 2009

Classical Music - music, sennheiser


I've owned:



Sony CDR-950 - $300

Sony MDR-F1 - $250

Grado Labs SR80 - $100

Sennheiser HD-595 - $180



I started to shop around for a new pair of headphones to use at work when my 6 year-old Sony MDR-F1's earpads completely wore out (it costs a whopping $100 to replace just the foam earpads!). I am a 3D computer artist, and I sit in front of the computer all day, so comfort was a major factor in my purchasing decision. Additionally, however, I am really into music, so sound quality is extremely important to me. I've always loved the sound of Grado Lab's 'phones, they are bright and lively, but they have never been very comfortable, especially for long listening sessions. Conversely, my Sony MDR-F1s were only decent from a sound perspective, but they were incredibly comfy.



I took a listen to a co-worker's HD-580's, because I'd never listened to or even tried on a pair of Sennheisers. To be honest, my impression of the 580's was not super positive. Sennheiser has called the sound quality of the 580's and 600's 'polite', but to me they seemed to have a slightly subdued sound, heavy on the bottom-end, but not really up-front like the Grado's that I like so much. I realized that the impedance of the 580's and the really expensive HD-600's was 200 OHMs which could've explained their subdued quality. I AM listening out of a headphone amplifier, but it's a tiny HeadRoom TotalAirhead which possibly didn't have enough power for the 580's. It was then that I started becoming really interested in the HD-595's because of their 50 OHM impedance.



I decided to take the plunge on the 595's last week and ordered them from Amazon for $181. After 2 days of listening to music from my PC via the HeadRoom TotalAirHead all I can say is -



"WOW, these are the best headphones I've ever heard".



The Sennheiser proclaimed 'polite' quality that I didn't like about the 580's is non-existant in the 595's. They are so lively, up-front and exciting to listen to. They have so much detail, and my little amp has no trouble whatsoever driving them. I DID have to push the bottom end of the EQ a bit to get the fullness that I like out of my music, but this wasn't a big deal. I have not tried them sans-amplifier yet, but it seems that the low impedance would make them ideal for portable players also.



Additionally, they are SO COMFORTABLE, if a bit hot-on-the-ears with the velour earcups. They look cool, they are super lightweight, and they come with this nifty headphone 'stand' that clamps to a table for hanging the 'phones when not in use.



I love listening to these things, I give them 5 out of 5 stars.



Hogarth de la Plante

Boston, MA Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones

Every time I put on these headphones, I am blown away by the immaculate sound that reaches my ears. These are, in my opinion, the best headphones out there. I'm sure hardcore audiophiles would disagree, but if you're a regular consumer, it doesn't get any better than this.



I had previously tried a pair of 580s, and was somewhat dissapointed with them. They were accurate, but they weren't aggressive enough for my taste - they sounded somewhat distant and weak. Since I wasn't about to spend $150 for a pair of headphones that I wasn't totally satisfied with, I decided to invest that extra $50 and try the 595s. Fortunately, I was not disappointed. The 595s solve the 580's problem by angling the drivers so that they are literally right next to your ear, and the result is a much more immediate, much fuller bodied sound.



The 595s are superb with any type of music. The open, but immediate sound stage is great for rock music (you really feel like you're sitting with the band and they're playing around you), and the clarity and precision is great for jazz and classical. I was also surprised how good my electronica sounded - every detail is expressed with crystal clear precision, and the bass is ample but precise and not overbearing, resulting in a great immersive experience. The lows, mids, and highs are all perfectly balanced (at least to my untrained ear), and overall the sound is just unbelievably natural.



Besides sounding great, the 595s are ridiculously comfortable. Because they surround the ears and don't put pressure on them, I have no problem wearing these headphones for 6-7 hours at a time without discomfort or soreness.



Please note that in order to experience all the 595s have to offer, you really need a headphone amp. They sound good unamped, but the 595s really come alive with a good amp. Also, since the 595s have a 1/4" plug instead of a 1/8" mini plug, I would recommend getting the Grado 1/4"-1/8" adapter instead of using the one they give you, as it will put too much strain on the headphone jacks of your equipment.



I wholeheartedly recommend the 595s. For the price, their sound quality and comfort simply cannot be beat.

I've been waiting a long time to write this review. See my review of the Senn 590s.



I purchased the 590s earlier this year and was relatively pleased. Then I invested 100 bucks in an A/V receiver and plugged them into that, and... WOW, what a difference an amp makes! All of a sudden I had a new-found love for my 590s. With a portable device, the 590s don't have a huge amount of volume. An amp solves that. Also, the limited equalizer functions on an iPod or winamp don't do justice to this caliber of headphones. I'm in love with my 590s, and I will never part with them.



A few weeks ago I started reading more about the 595s and how they were supposed to be brighter and clearer than anything else. If you're like me, you want to read all of the reviews before you buy a new set of headphones. For < $150, the 595s are a steal. I also recently bought a pair of Shure in-ear heaphones for about the same price. Because I spend most of my time listening to music on the go, I figured it was a worthy investment, but when you consider the fact that you could get some big Sennheisers for the same price, they seem like a total waste of money. It really depends on how much at-home listening you do.



The 595s are everything they promise to be. In a strange and almost surreal way, they sound exactly as I imagined they would. Like a blind man in his first moment of sight, I knew when I put them on that they were exactly what I needed. These are like the 590s on steroids, or, I should say "The 590s are to the 595s as whispering is to screaming". But it's not just volume, it's also brightness. The 590s are like little fluffy clouds, gently massaging your ears with sweet music, and they really make it sound like you're listening in a wide open space, not headphones. The 595s blast crystal clear music to the nucleus of your mental space. You're definitely conscious that you have headphones on, but they achieve the "open space" phenomenon at the same time. The "rows back in a concert" analogy is also surprisingly fitting. The 590s put you a few rows back, the 595s put your ear right up next to the guitar. The one major downside to the 595s is that they're almost too intense. I've found that I can only listen to them, at least at a reasonable volume, for about an hour or two before I just can't take it any more. A big upside to the 595s though is that they sound better with portable devices sans an amplifier. The 590s have a slight advantage in comfort because they're lighter, but Sennheiser has clearly designed both of these models with comfort in mind.



So, I will keep both. If I had to choose between the 590s and the 595s, I would choose the 595s.



If this is you're considering getting your first set of Sennheisers... DO IT. I promise, you won't be disappointed. - Sennheiser - Music - Audiophile - Hd595'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information