Sunday 25 January 2009

Network Switch - ethernet, belkin


My Ethernet wire broke. (the wire I used to connect my Verizon Modem to my Linksys Router) so I got this one and it works fine. I would have liked them to specify "Ethernet" in the description cause I'm not familiar with the terminology and wasn't sure it was the same wire I had that needing replacing. I finally looked up CAT5e on the web and found a site that called it an Ethernet wire so I came back here and bought it. Belkin A3L791-S 3-Foot RJ45 CAT 5e Snagless Molded Patch Cable (Blue)

I bought these Belkin cables. They are very nice quality. They seem heftier than a lot of the other cables. My system analyst neighbor mentioned that he prefers to buy the 1000 foot roll. He runs them to wall outlets, then uses the 7 foot or 14 foot snap in cable from the wall to the PC. That way, you don't have to buy a 40 dollar crimping tool. You can't solder these cables. They require a metal to metal contact, and lead-solder doesn't qualify. Also, it is critical to keep them spiraled, all the way up to the end. Even when attaching, instructions call for twisting them right up to the connection. Since the tech instructions, tell you to keep them down to under 350 feet, these cables, whether they are long or short, are in the right lengths. I know Amazon doesn't print prices in their reviews, but they have the local major chain office supply stores beat hands down. The 50 foot roll was half again as much locally. These are the Category 5e cables. They give you a better return feed, which results in better overall performance. So insist on 5e instead of just 5. I initially bought some wall plates from (a nation wide electrical supply store) that were Category 3, then I returned those for the snap in option Category 5. Those were returned also, when I went to (a nation wide building supply center)... (of all places to go networking) and they had the complete Leviton line of 5e accessories. If I had to do it over again, I would still buy the Belkin 50 footers. I don't want to have a 500 foot roll of ethernet cable hanging around. These are tops. Gold plated connectors, Snag free ends, that protect that little lock in tab on the ends. You know the frustration of unsnarling a phone wire, out of a wiring mess, and the little tab bends over backwards, never to work properly again. Well Belkin built twin arches over the sides to prevent just that. Way to go. Highly recommended, good stuff, for a good price.

I'll make this short and fast much in the same way this cable works. First and foremost: it works and works well. It may be only be 3 feet long and that is totally my fault but it fits exactly as I need it. If I were lucid when I measured the location I would have chosen a longer cord and had a little extra but for what I needed at the time and now the length is perfect. I have a virtual cable factory behind my electronics and when making any changes it is a nightmare because it seems as if everyone will get hung up at the connector but NOT this Belkin. It is snagless and that is fantastic for the lazy or impatient. Those elements alone would be worth buying this cable; however, when the value is added in this is a fantastic buy and I highly recommend it under any circumstances that work.

You'd think all ethernet cables are the same, but after installing thousands of pre-terminated cables in my profession, you get a good intuition of what's good and what's not. These cables are certainly well made and reliable and an important part of any network. You won't have any issues with this one so stock up and don't worry about connectivity issues.

If you do wired networking, you will know that there is no such thing as too many patch cables. Usually the ones you have are much too long - hence my seeking & ordering these shorter cables. Certainly as good quality as any others; and WAY WAY cheaper than I have seen in any retail store!

I needed a cable shorter than 6 feet. The 1' cable I had was too short. The snagless feature is really useful since I have a tangled nest of cables under the desk - disconnecting and re-connecting will not be a problem. - Belkin - Ethernet - Cat5 - Ethernet Cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information