Friday 30 January 2009

Power Tools - battery, 12v


A professional window and door installer of many years...I bought this tool because the 18v Dewault is getting heavy over head. I still need the Dewault for drilling and the hammer tool, but for running screws - this little guy is a pleasant surprise. Runs all day for me without a complaint and almost always the battery runs more than a day. Very light and easy to run. After a month of full time use on the job I would buy another in a heartbeat. Ridgid R82007 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Pocket Drill Driver

For $129 it is a good buy. I had a friend who bought the tw0-pack drills from Home Depot for $129, but those deals are long over! This set comes with two batteries, a charger, one drill, and ready to use. It has a neat canvas carrying case that keeps everything together. the lithium-ion batteries make other cordless drills obsolete. They hold their charge for a long time, and don't develope memory when charging - so you can charge the batteries as often as you'd like without waiting until they are fully discharged. The drill is solid and compact, and packs a lot of torgue.

Many other options. The Milwaukee m12 is my favorite but Bosch, Makita make good options. Way too expensive, these were 2 for $99 in Home Depot as this is a discontinued model. Horrible wobbly chuck, plastic sleeve, in contrast the Milwaukee has an all metal chuck, 2 speed gear box, much better ergo. and many other tools in M12 line up.

Generally this drill is a handy little drill for many jobs. It is small and very powerful for its size. I read many reviews before I purchased it, and was alarmed by all of the problems with the batteries. I thought - surely Ridgid would address these problems and my drill wouldn't be one with the problem. WRONG!! The batteries were defective right off the bat. I found the service center - which was wrong on the website and about twenty miles out of Salt Lake City. They took the whole drill in for two weeks and replaced the batteries. If you want to be without your new purchase for two weeks, go ahead and buy this. Any company that would ship out defective parts is not worthy of any future purchases from me. And, if you choose the Milwaukee drill - don't plan on anything different. I found that these drills are made by the same company. It seems that Ridgid (a company with a long standing reputation for making excellent tools) sold the name to another company that is making these tools - mostly in China. If you insist on buying these tools, spend the extra ten bucks and buy them from Home Depot. Then, when they go bad, you can get a replacement right away. Better yet, get something else.



Buy the way - this is the second tool that I bought from Amazon (shipped from Amazon) in the last couple of months that had to have service work right away. I am suspecting that companies may be sending Amazon defective merchandise and letting the consumer deal with it. Both products should never have been let out from the factory.

Nice looking drill; short, fits in your pocket when on a ladder. Had a good experience for a few months until the batteries started to go. Won't charge most of the time and even when they do, they only run about every third pull of the trigger. And I bought two of the damned things so I've got four (4) batteries that the charger says are now defective. With good batteries this is a good drill. As they are now, I would reccommend them only to my christian friends. Maybe prayer would help. Me, I'm going to try the warranty. Tomorrow.

I'm writing this because of the negative reviews. I've owned this tool and used it heavily for over a year with great results.



I replaced a worn out DeWalt NiCad 14 volt with this tool. I bought Rigid because I have had really great reliability with a corded 1/2in hammer drill for about five years.



The 12v lithium battery seems like a miracle. It never seems to run down. You will never run it dead before your backup battery recharges, unless your using it with a huge hole saw or some other absurdity that it isn't designed for. One battery usually lasts all day if you're just installing a bunch of screws with it. I install beverage systems for a living and do a lot of mounting and light drilling.



It is feather-light. It's easy to adjust the speed with the trigger. It's plenty-powerful for any drill bit that will fit the chuck. Battery stays powerful until it's almost completely dead. It has a nifty work light. Batteries recharge quickly and last through most any job.



A few people here have complained that the battery charger indicated that the batteries were bad and failed to charge them. I had this happen once: It didn't take much to determine that it won't charge a battery that is stored in a very-cold environment. I moved the batteries inside and it returned to normal.

I have owned one of these for about three years now and I have no complaints at all. It really shines when a large 18v is more drill than you need but you don't want to be handicapped by a lack of power. The charger gets the batteries charged up quickly and the whole package is very portable. Ridgid offers a Lifetime Service Agreement which covers every component, including your batteries, so as long as you are careful and hang onto your receipt, or register the tools with Ridgid, you'll never have to worry about needing to buy new batteries when they run out of life. I can testify to the LSA because I just had both batteries replaced and the only thing I had to do was take them (along with the drill & charger) down to a local service center and within a week I had two new batteries. I can't ask for anything better from a company.

I bought this drill because I was building some furniture with hardwood and I needed a drill and screwdriver that worked in tight, enclosed spaces and had a lot of torque. This thing delivers on both of those better than any drill I've ever used. I'm amazed by the battery life and how much twist it's got. I'm a big fella, I work on ships, I'm used to industrial power tools and this little thing was a big surprise for me. The charge time is really short, the kit I bought came with two batteries, and so far I haven't been able to completely use up even one battery over the course of a half a day of work. I'm reserving one star because the battery in this is not interchangeable with other tools as far as I've been able to find, and I would have liked to find a circular saw that could use the same equipment, but 12 volts is not going to do much in a saw.



Very nice, very handy tool. - Lithium - Battery - Compact - 12v'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information