Sunday 25 January 2009

Digital Vinyl - blank cds, cdr


I've been using these since they first came out with them. I've never had any trouble with them, and they look completely awesome. The only thing I didn't like was that the label had no place to write on so you had to kind of squeeze it in between things. Verbatim has now fixed this and there are two lines to write on. I am impressed both by the original classy-looking labels and the new ones that imitate old record labels of the mid-60s with brilliant colours and jazzy designs. I can't get enough of these and if they came down in price they'd be just about all I used. Verbatim's notion of making a CD-R that looked like an old 45 was brilliant. They also have a DVD-R that looks like an old reel of film, and if I had a DVD recorder I'd use those. I'll keep buying these as long as Verbatim keeps making them. Verbatim Digital Vinyl 700 MB Multicolor CD-R Spindle (25 Discs)

I don't know what that fella was talking about that "this product doesn't work for audio"... this product works GREAT for audio. I burn these vinyl looking CDRs and play them in my cd walkman, in my van, in my home dvd player, and in my computer; and they play everywhere just fine. In fact, of the about 50 of these I have made so far, I have yet to make a coaster. Also check out the labels and the blue labeler thingy that Verbatim make, very cool.

I really want to like these, but they have some issues.



Inconsistent burns...gotten some coasters, not a lot, but compared to "regular" CDrs more than expected.



Labels - nearly impossible to squeeze info on there, you basically have one line of space to write in, and it's short. If Verbatim is interested in fixing this they could do something cool like remove their text from the label, make a slightly wider "runoff groove" and inscribe the logo there, at least that would give you an extra line to write in. Of course they're interested in selling labeling kits so I'm not holding my breath...



Colors - I like the color variety but the purple is too dark, you can't see what you've written. The red is slightly better. Not a dealbreaker but they could stand to be lighter...

These CDs look very nice and they play fine too as long as you burn them at a lower speed. Well, what speed? That is what you have to figure out the hard way. And you would think that Verbatim will mention the burn speed on the packaging, but they don't. I wasted a couple of CDs to realize that if I burn them at 12X on my ATT burner then it is no good (first couple of songs are bad and then it plays fine after that). Then I burned them at 4x and it plays just fine in the three different CD players that I have. I think that it will be fine too if I burn them at 8x but I have not tried that yet. You would have figure out yourself what is the ideal burn x on your system.

I do not care if I have to burn these CDs at a lower rate (because I let it burn while I do other things), but I am giving it 4 stars because Verbatim should have mentioned it on the pacakage what should be the ideal burn rate. Otherwise these are very nice looking CDs.

This is not the first time I have purchased Verbatim's Digital Vinyl discs. I love the way they look, and they're always a big hit when I give them to friends. They were worth the extra money because they look cool, and I have found the AZO dye very reliable. I was disappointed, however, that this pack does not have the AZO dye, as is promised in the discription. They are made in Taiwan, making them no different (quality wise) than much less expensive discs - had I known that, I wouldn't have spent the extra money for them.

Not only do these CD-Rs look awesome but the sound repro quality is excellent. My copies have the same highs and lows as the original source material. Burning time was fast, too. I'll keep buying these puppies until Verbatim stops making them.

These are great disks and I've never had a coaster at any time I make CD's with them. However, these disc are only designed to be burnt at speeds less than 16x. Anything more, and you're asking for trouble.



Then again, if you care about the quality of the music you're putting on these, you probably only burn your CD's at 8x or slower (yes, burn speed matters...ask any audiophile).



I'd love it if Verbatim issued these with either all white labels (since I don't see the point of having colored labels if you're going to cover it up with thier printable labels) or even lightscribe (how cool would that be)!!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that these were incredibly marked down at the local Best Buy. I like the look of these CD-Rs but they have been unreliable and unpredictable in terms of device playback. For instance, they play fine in my brand new car stereo, and on my firewire external CDRW drive at home, but have difficulty playing back in my Powerbook internal drive (most likely due to the thickness of the painted surface, which is more a fault of the drive than the discs) and completely do not play in my home CD player (which is a stand-alone component disc changer). In other players, playback has ranged from nonexistent (as already noted), to spotty at best (crackles and lots of extra digital noise) to crystal clear.I would only recommend using these if you can verify and guarantee playback on your most-used personal systems... otherwise you'll end up with a stack of nice looking but unlistenable CDs. - Cdr - Cd-r Discs - Digital Vinyl - Blank Cds'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information